51 (edited by statiq 2010-03-29 20:54:47)

Re: IFM on the brink of starvation

Alright, extra €€ sent (and monthly refill still in effect)

My take on this: I'm not in favor of member-only goodies, we already tried it in the past with downloadable shows and I don't think it helped that much. People spend time creating those, they want as much people as possible to listen to them. 

Rather, it sort of works like open source: those who can contribute to the project (be it with music/time/code/design/money) do so and everybody benefits from the end product.

The quality and quantity of stuff available on IFM is pretty amazing right now, I don't have the numbers but from what we're hearing things are going well in terms of listeners. The problem might be that these new listeners enjoy the music but perhaps they don't really feel like they're part of a community like we did back in the CBS days. Hence they might be less inclined to support/donate.

Look at the number of comments on IFM news and blog posts, there isn't a lot of discussion happening. Maybe that's just me, but I feel like there's a growing divide between those who are doing the stuff behind the scene and everybody else listening to the streams. It used to feel like a much tighter community. If we want people to contribute, we've got to bring them on board on a more personal level. That's what the CBS forum used to do - not trying to reopen the whole forum debate, beating a dead horse etc. - but things on the community front can perhaps be improved by making changes on the website (but that kind of stuff requires even more time & work).

But again, that's just the way I see things. I've not been as active here these last few months, so maybe that's where the sense of disconnect comes from.

score100 wrote:

And the lame city council of the hague should finally support intergalactic fm!!! mad

True, don't know how these things go in the Netherlands but a lot of radio stations in Belgium and the north of France get financial help from the city's councils and most of these stations don't even have that amount of listeners. IFM is not a commercial product at all, it's a cultural project so this should fit into the council's program without any problem.

"A Real Music Hater"

53 (edited by zora 2010-03-29 20:57:15)

no, you def made a very good point here, statiq.
i totally agree on the problem to not feel as part of a community, so to not feel responsible. i believe if i hadnt experienced the cbs days i might not feel that connected to ifm as much as i do, cause theres a weaker relationship to the listeners now than it was before.
"community" is in fact a bit disrupted now, but im sure most here still feel strongly connected to ifm, but even this connection has changed a little (i believe). still most of the ifm comments are from former cbs/ r4r members if im not mistaken, but most comments happen over here now rather than on the ifm sites.
so how to get ifm newbies more involved? quite a challenge..

.."this world`s a bubble"..

the main problem with all the promotion efforts is that all of us do many other things. i'm surprised already that things run as smooth as they do, with 4 channels and all the regular shows. maybe we should recrute a special promotion team from our listeners or something.
as for the forum etc and communities, the choice was made not to have a forum attached to the ifm site after the cbs forum. but there is this forum, and a facebook page and group. only thing is that maybe this and the facebook page could be mentioned on the ifm front page. but i also think many people just enjoy listening without being on forums and communities..

and every once in a while we have to kick some asses to donate more.. to most people no news is good news, thats how it is..

Will donate once I get a couple checks in! Must have IFM!

just noticed almost 200 members on the homepage, haven't seen that for months

Vlam Aan

kuczera wrote:

Kick ass fx.. They enjoyed it as long as it lasts..
Free consumption at its extreme or perverse attitude lookin forward to the 5 first minutes after death, live ..

jacderida wrote:

ditto! the best shows were those ones where IFX got people in to chat for a couple hours and to play some of their own stuff and also to play the music that had influenced them over the years. the ones with rude66, dj overdose and fred ventura were a fascinating listen. so i'd love to hear more of those and there must be loads of people still left to interview!

there are other shows that do this on a regular basis. smackos has guests sometimes, so does frankie osmo. i do it on cosmic overdrive too..doesn't work out every week though..

always loved request o la..
zowiezo meer live at ifmx .. looking forward to upcoming thursday
and ze democontez

Vlam Aan

one thing i miss with the lack of live streams is chat... banter kind of thing. not some cheesy sound effect banter but just that human feel.... that's why cbs prime with rdjx was so great! damn i loved those shows...

this is completely off topic, really.

back on topic:

kuczera wrote:

good to hear there's still people going to their mattresses for this thing.

rude66 wrote:

every once in a while we have to kick some asses to donate more.. to most people no news is good news, thats how it is..

at the megamix contest, rdjx said "we're still floating, we're doing pretty good" - maybe it was the wine, but it sounded really positive.

this is why a meter would help, rather than panic stations every now and then. that way, you got some spare cash, how's the meter doing, ok here's a little extra.

see, panic stations every now and again is a lot less efficient (not least cos this week i got my mum's birthday, a friend's birthday and a long ass trip to make... out of my own pocket... sigh)

kuczera wrote:

looking forward to upcoming thursday

no doubt! drinks and chat, ja?

cuties don't exert

rude66 wrote:

maybe we should recrute a special promotion team from our listeners or something. [...] but there is this forum, and a facebook page and group. only thing is that maybe this and the facebook page could be mentioned on the ifm front page.

It's not really about general promotion or marketing with facebook thingies etc.

It's more about knowing who's behind the shows and IFM channels and hearing from them about what is happening. It doesn't have to be fancy stuff, it can simply be about day-to-day activities, for example announcing when a lot of tracks are added to the database, something like: "We've hit the minimal wave mother load, expect a lot of new stuff during such or such time slot".

In my opinion, that's what needed to get more people involved: more information about the radio itself, but this has to come from the inside, it can't really be done by listeners.

That way robots won't forget it's a living thing, that people put time and energy in it and that it needs the support.

you mean like this kind of information on the front page of ifm? or something like an external blog? because this is also what the facebook page can be used for..

but its a very good idea..

and now my take on it:

honestly I think what I read on this topic gets on my nerves. How to, there should be, why don't they do, where's the cash at, how much. It's getting complicated as with the CBS, a slow monster. I love IFM, and I like the way they are doing, we contribute with what we do best, we play music, we do mixes on regular basis, we're not good at live shows or interviews. And when we can with money. Others can do other things, with talent resources and time. Who's willing to contribute will contribute. Others will listen.

Enjoy the flow, or contribute, or move it on. It's really that simple.

Tracks are added on a daily basis so its hard to let people know what and when.
Just to give you an idea....47 ep's and albums were added the last 2 weeks only for IFM1 and there are 3 more streams.
Its almost a daytime job for some.

The other info you are talking about might be usefull to increase that "living thing" feeling that statiq is talking about.
Because I hear the same complains from the people who do the shows.
There is no way to respond to the shows they do so they loose motivation and they ask themselves if people are still interested.
Before the cbs forum provided in that...wow Gabbo nice show tonight, kick ass episode Rude66 und so weiter.

Im not sure if Facebook is the right place but thats just my opinion

re feedback on the shows

the ratings has kind of addressed that... a teensy-weensy bit

maybe a latest submissions tab could list like the last few things accepted in the database? sort of like the "new this week" section on rush hour?

cuties don't exert

most complicated robot wrote:

and now my take on it:

honestly I think what I read on this topic gets on my nerves. How to, there should be, why don't they do, where's the cash at, how much. It's getting complicated as with the CBS, a slow monster. I love IFM, and I like the way they are doing, we contribute with what we do best, we play music, we do mixes on regular basis, we're not good at live shows or interviews. And when we can with money. Others can do other things, with talent resources and time. Who's willing to contribute will contribute. Others will listen.

Enjoy the flow, or contribute, or move it on. It's really that simple.

+1

maybe ifm will evolve into something better, like something minus a bourgeois social network.  self sufficient and self regulating...

if i get the job im applying for
i'll start a subsscription hmm
can't lose ifm..

cebteq wrote:

maybe ifm will evolve into something better, like something minus a bourgeois social network.  self sufficient and self regulating...

Why not take the first step and leave that bourgeois network to even things out?

Stentec is on to something

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

i think the time has come lol stentec, do your thing.

cebteq wrote:

cebteq wrote:

in the 5 hours or so a day i listen to ifm ive yet to hear anything from cyberpants being played

You could also help them get better. Looks like you have good ideas about it.
It also seems you listen muchos hours a week.
Might be a worth to considder a donation, would be apreciated

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/572/19CE2C70-B4B6-47A0-AA97-EC82C69EF6AB/RF4780712.jpg

74 (edited by Scarface 2010-03-30 21:49:57)

A pitty that IFM can hold its pants up by itself so I'll see if i got another 50 or so to donate which shouldn't be a problem I think. I don't listen to the nonstop that much but I like to download a presented show now and then. I'm in for more presented shows! Makes it so much more personal which I like.

"Are you loving?"

MenschMaschine wrote:

There is no way to respond to the shows they do so they loose motivation and they ask themselves if people are still interested.
Before the cbs forum provided in that...wow Gabbo nice show tonight, kick ass episode Rude66 und so weiter.

Im not sure if Facebook is the right place but thats just my opinion

only speaking for myself, its nice to hear comments here, and i know its appreciated by part of the listeners. i also know not everyone is into 20 minute long psychedelic jams, industrial or negativland radio show recordings. my main motivation is to play some of the great music thats out there, and thats enough.

but maybe we should link to this forum from the ifm page..