1,351 (edited by wasubot 2010-03-30 09:25:11)

Re: Should I buy...

Quite tempted buy maschine now they will have mpc 60 emulation, midi out with cc. As i pretty much use hardware only it can replace ableton for my jamming but i can possibly use that at mixdown stage later. I was going to build midibox but got sidetracked. Now I actually think i can use standalone maschine as a master sequencer and jam external hardware. I guess in stand alone mode you are really getting a giant mpc with a computer monitor. The one reason i sold and disliked MPC's was the limitation all patterns had to be the same length, that was a show stopper for me, machine does not have this limitation.

I got a mental barrier loading up software to have fun with my synths so I quite often don't fire up ableton. I'm just missing some fun from it.

Anyone thinking along similar lines or have some thoughts?

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

Yamaha E1005 for $100?  Anyone know the maximum delay time on these guys?

unicity wrote:

Yamaha E1005 for $100?  Anyone know the maximum delay time on these guys?

100 is nice, you can probably also use it as chorus/flanger because it has modulation..

manual:
YAMAHA E1005

TB or not TB

Thanks for the link!  Looks like it has 400ms of delay (and there are internal trimpots for further adjustment).  Just waiting to hear back from the seller.  I hope it's still available.

In Holland these do between 75 and 150 euro so 100$ is a good price.. hopefully you get it smile

TB or not TB

I'm picking it up tomorrow.  smile

yes it's 400ms of nice delay, bit noisy and looks like a vcr, but still awesome!

TONY COPS wrote:

yes it's 400ms of nice delay, bit noisy and looks like a vcr, but still awesome!

As far as I'm concerned a bit of noise and the look of a VCR only add to the awesomeness.  wink

I sold mine when I got my tape echos, don't really regret it but it's great in its own way.

The guy who bought it keeps telling me how great it is, it survived two world tours and still works 100%.

If I had to choose I'd pick up the e1010 as it's rackmount, it sounds a bit different apparently, it uses different chips.

Well...dude agreed to sell it to me, then sold it to someone else before I came to pick it up.  Awesome.   hmm

dick.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

wasubot wrote:

Quite tempted by maschine now they will have mpc 60 emulation, midi out with cc. As i pretty much use hardware only it can replace ableton for my jamming but i can possibly use that at mixdown stage later. I was going to build midibox but got sidetracked. Now I actually think i can use standalone maschine as a master sequencer and jam external hardware. I guess in stand alone mode you are really getting a giant mpc with a computer monitor. The one reason i sold and disliked MPC's was the limitation all patterns had to be the same length, that was a show stopper for me, machine does not have this limitation.

I got a mental barrier loading up software to have fun with my synths so I quite often don't fire up ableton. I'm just missing some fun from it.

Anyone thinking along similar lines or have some thoughts?

Every time I thought about the Maschine I ended up changing my mind after reading their forums. Many  unhappy customers complaining about bugs and a lack of stability. I considered it again after the midi upgrade came out, but changed my mind again.
I hate that the Maschine still needs to be plugged into a computer in order to work even as a sequencer. While it's probably the most flexible live sequencer around, adding a laptop to my live setup is way to much of a liability-especially if it has a history of crashing. BTW, the Rs7000 lets you use patterns of different lengths too.

Thanks Honey Peters. Yes rs7000 sequencer is not bad, i sold mine a while back and dont really miss it much. I would say the maschine sequencer looks much better in many ways. I have read pretty much most of the forum postings and watched every demo on you tube. I always expect quite a few people to wine about this and that feature or bug but im not seeing any show stopping bugs or requirements at this stage. Which bugs do you think are an issue? Maybe i overlooked something. Yes I do agree tethered laptop is a pain but it seems good you can do everything without touching your laptop at all.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

should i sell my Korg MS2000, and get Microkorg?
i know they both are the same besides the size and the keys. or am i wrong?
does the microkorg have the patch part as the MS?

1,365 (edited by automatique 2010-03-30 10:39:03)

MS2000 has 16 band vocoder, microkorg only 8. MS2000 stepsequencer has 16 steps, microkorg only 8. Patchparts are the same i think. MS2000 has more knobs for tweaking which makes it easier to deal with (but micokorg editing is also ok once you have find out how to do), but ms2000 looks better imo. A used MS2000 is worth 350 to 450 on german eBay. Microkorgs between 240 and 300. If you only use it in the studio and you have enough space - keep it!

automatique wrote:

MS2000 has 16 band vocoder, microkorg only 8. MS2000 stepsequencer has 16 steps, microkorg only 8. Patchparts are the same i think. MS2000 has more knobs for tweaking which makes it easier to deal with (but micokorg editing is also ok once you have find out how to do), but ms2000 looks better imo. A used MS2000 is worth 350 to 450 on german eBay. Microkorgs between 240 and 300. If you only use it in the studio and you have enough space - keep it!

Wot he said smile

i wanted to microkorg for live and since it more or less the same synth i maybe switch them...
i like editing the ms2000 it easy going synth

I personally think the editing of Microkorg is horrible. I even like editing Korg EX800 better. I hate it when you have to look for those corresponding parameters from the tiny-font-table. Maybe it would be ok if the selected row was illuminated with a backlight or something. On the other hand, it is quite handy for live performances, but if it is played by a sequencer I would rather swap the MS2000 for MS2000R version. If space is the only issue, the rackmount version takes the same space as Microkorg. Then again if you are going to play the thing live, about any cheap MIDI-keyboard beats those toyish minikeys.

I think Microkorg was a good budget synth back when the MS2000 was still expensive, but I really don't see why anyone would choose it over MS2k these days when they are both quite affordable. I bought my Microkorg new in 2003 or something and it cost 500€. I bought the MS2000BR about a year ago for 250€ and if I'd have to give up one of those, it would definitely be Microkorg.

Are you 100% sure they are the same? I have a MS2KR and as I recall the Micro has a more controlede low end... I haven't A-B tested thou?

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Erroraudio wrote:

Are you 100% sure they are the same? I have a MS2KR and as I recall the Micro has a more controlede low end... I haven't A-B tested thou?

I'm not aware of any differences in addition to the ones already mentioned above. Micokorg has the same EQ parameters as the MS2KR (low eq freq, low eq gain, hi eq freq and hi eq gain) but of course I can't be 100% sure they do exactly the same thing. I just assume they do since it's all around the internet that they have the same synth engine and I haven't heard any difference in the overall sound. I'm also too lazy to program the same patch to both of them just to test this out smile

The MS2000 has 3 mod sequencers that you can set to control almost any perimeter (although they never stay in sync with the external clock for long!!!). Microkorg does not have Mod Seqs at all but its appreciator is a bit cooler. If you are looking for smaller I suggest selling the MS2000 and getting the rack version. With the rack you can still use the buttons to play notes and it is even lighter than the Microkorg.

@Honey Peters: interesting idea. i have to check how big is the rack, it kind of big.

i want an appreciator too smile

crc wrote:

i want an appreciator too smile

qwejqwadskfhadfkjhf!
Excellent catch. Maybe that was a Freudian slip on my part- getting at why I spend money on music gear in the first place. I am unable to save money. So much easier blowing extra cash on cheap gear and letting it sit until I need to sell it. Or I just blindly trusted my spell checker. Either way... cheap gear = only form of investment my dumb ass is capable of.

1,375 (edited by meschi 2010-03-31 10:54:22)

Should I buy...
a Korg MS2000/MS2000R?

I'll have about £300/£350 to spend on a decent synth, and I'd like a vocoder.
Suppose my other option is either a microkorg or a second hand R3, are there any other possibilities out there that I could consider?

edit: hahaha, I just checked the posts above this. Didn't know you were already talking about it. Scratch the mocrokorg/R3 options then... is there anything else out there that could suit my needs?