Re: QY700 or RM1x? ...or something else?

Okay that's a very big annoyance, I already read about that but I don't have it always in my mind... how does the QY700 handle this? Is it even possible to work like this?

Maybe I should really think about the RS7000...

27 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2010-01-20 16:07:30)

Grid mode is more to touch up your sequences...I never use it...its way faster and more fun to just record everything realtime...it would be hell to use that gridmode thing to make a track

If you got a choice get the RS7000 there not that expensive anymore...but that rm1x mute thing has never been a problem

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Grid mode is more to touch up your sequences...I never use it...its way faster and more fun to just record everything realtime...it would be hell to use that gridmode thing to make a track

If you got a choice get the RS7000 there not that expensive anymore...but that rm1x mute thing has never been a problem

agreed, x0x style editing is highly overrated. i usually record in 'tap mode' on my 909/808. even in my 303 to get the feel right. i don't even know if my MPC has x0x style editing, don't care either smile

actinet6 wrote:
ZeHa wrote:

That's exactly what I wanted to know, thatnk you smile
I was just not sure if I would have to set the note manually on every trigger step (e.g. my Bassdrum is on C4, and I wouldn't want to be forced to set every step manually to C4 on the first track).

Why would you want to sequence the electribe with the rm1x? The sequencer on the electribes are very easy. What i really like about the rs7000 is the sound quality, it has this 'full' sound that give a lot of power to the drums.

Electribe sequencers can be too limited, especially when you want your drum parts to have more than 2 levels of velocity or when you want to make slightly off time / non quantized parts. The RS/RM1x is much better for detailed sequencing while Electribes are pretty much unbeatable at realtime sequencing in live performances.

30 (edited by gn 2010-02-12 22:40:50)

I get dizzy and nauseous just thinking of Yamaha sequencers! Had a couple (QY-300 and QY-70) but never really managed to crack thru the surface of that incomprehensible interface. Now, those are instruments by engineers FOR engineers for sure.

Must admit the QY-300 is a real beauty queen of sequencers though. And metal casing too... ooh.

But yeah, MMT-8 or internal Ensoniq for me, thank you. I'm just a simple man.

Okay, I have not decided yet... but I discovered the E-mu PX7, would anybody like to say something about that machine? I heard they also have good sequencers...

I just wanted to tell you that I have finally made up my mind. For years, I have always wanted to have an Akai MPC, and even though I was quite sure about getting a Yamaha machine now, I got a good offer on an MPC 2000 and I have bought it. I really like it so far, though I still think about getting an RM1x in the near future, just to check out the differences and see what fits me better. One big advantage of course is the integrated sampler of the MPC, so I'm not forced to use my Electribe, as I would have been with an RM1x.

I also re-checked the RM1x manual a few days ago, compared it to the MPC's manual, and somehow I felt that the MPC might be the better choice. Even though I can't really say why smile

But so far, I'm happy now, and I already created a few cool patterns after jamming around, it's such a different feeling compared to sitting in front of your computer. I also moved my studio stuff now into my living room, as there is more space, and now the computer is out of reach. I'm still a bit worried because I'll definitely lose some commodities, but on the other hand, of course, there are new commodities to gain wink I'm really looking forward to producing my first real hardware-only tracks (have to get a working ZIP drive first big_smile ), I only recorded some live jams so far, but those were already pure satisfaction wink

Thanks for your tips though, I'll definitely check out Yamaha sequencers in the future, maybe they turn out to be even better for my needs, but the MPC already feels like heaven smile

The big annoyance for me with the RM1X is having to stop the sequencer and dive into a menu to quantize, then restart it.  The RS7000 fixed this I think.

rockmanrock wrote:

The RS7000 fixed this I think.

Nope... It does pre-quantize but for post quantize you also have to stop the sequencer. Imo, unless you really want to do overdub recording live on stage it can't be much of a deal breaker, can it?

Brian Chinetti wrote:
rockmanrock wrote:

The RS7000 fixed this I think.

Nope... It does pre-quantize but for post quantize you also have to stop the sequencer. Imo, unless you really want to do overdub recording live on stage it can't be much of a deal breaker, can it?

Pre-quantize (automatic quantize?) is what I like, if I'm tapping in drum sounds then I don't want to hear my bad tapping played back to me as I grasp for more inspiration!

Fair enough smile
I call it pre-quantize cause you have to set it up before recording. But the rm1x doesn't have that automatic quantize function? That's indeed be a bit disappointing.
There's more disappointments tho, that I only discovered recently on my RS. For instance, if you have two tracks (phrases as Yamaha calls them) with a different length that you want to do overdub recording on, you cant toggle between these two tracks cause the RS will give an 'phrase length mismatch' error... Kinda sucks, especially cause in all the other modes it's no problem...

@Brian That does suck. I always dream that someone with loads of time will hack into the RS operating system and fix those annoying drawbacks. Not gonna count on it though. 

@Zeha Not a bad Idea to get the MPC. At least there are alternative opperating systems.

I'd like to see a comparison of the RS to the MPC with JJ OS.

Anyone here tried both?

There was some people at the old rs forums that attempted a OS update, but nothing got finished.
I'm also very curious how JJ OS compares to the RS7k.

As far as I know JJ doesn't take loops of different lenghts, at least it didnt when i had it. No different lengths of tracks is deal breaker for mpcs.

NI Machine looks to be the new king of hardware sequencing, seems like you can do it all on the fly...any day now mine will arrive. RS is not bad but has some major issues like not being able to hear one track when you record another and such, a real pain.  Other then that Nemo or Midibox v4 would be quite awesome.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

wasubot wrote:

RS is not bad but has some major issues like not being able to hear one track when you record another and such, a real pain.

not sure what you are referring to? maybe you are thinking of the rm1x?

Yeah that's the rm1x, in grid mode. rs7000 doesn't have this problem (or at least not with the last os). I think the rs is still one of the best hardware sequencers around, it's a shame that it's OS can only be found in a stripped down version on the Motif's instead of a further developed version on something like a rs8000...

It was some mode i was using on rs7000 ive never had an RM1X, you'd record and couldn't hear the other sounds. Had last OS of course. Also you could just from record mode to play but then not back to record or change tracks.. Some weird stuff like that got me. I don't remember exact details. I did like the built in effects tho they were nice.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing