Topic: Cleaning mixer?

Hey guys,

Got a question. With rebuilding the studio here I got a new old mixer from a friend. It has been on the attic for years but I think it's quite ok (sorry, forgot the type, will let know when I'm home again in the afternoon... had something to do with Neterlands 700 series 2 mixer), but some of the faders are not sending signal, unless you move them. Some of the knobs are also turning very heavy.

Anybody had some experiance cleaning mixers? Got a can of Fellowes air duster from work here (because heard Contact spray is no good...).

Any tips are welcome.

Will post pictures on www.tunnel-radio.nl/news.htm this week.

Re: Cleaning mixer?

I read i nice article about cleaning gear by our own Rude recently, maybe he can help.
I guess you'll have to get some kind of spray, just get the right one, don't remember which sad

I'll ask him. Know where to find this article?

compressed air i believe

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

baz wrote:

Hey guys,

Got a question. With rebuilding the studio here I got a new old mixer from a friend. It has been on the attic for years but I think it's quite ok (sorry, forgot the type, will let know when I'm home again in the afternoon... had something to do with Neterlands 700 series 2 mixer), but some of the faders are not sending signal, unless you move them. Some of the knobs are also turning very heavy.

Anybody had some experiance cleaning mixers? Got a can of Fellowes air duster from work here (because heard Contact spray is no good...).

Any tips are welcome.

Sounds like you got yourself a D&R. Welcome to the club, lots of us use one (I think Danny has a 700 as well, not sure). You can find the operation and service manuals here: http://www.d-r.nl/dnrsite/Service%20Par … 0parts.htm

As for cleaning, it can be done very thoroughly, including opening the pots and faders and cleaning and lubing them (if the pots can be opened) with something like Deoxit fader lube. You can also clean (not lubricate) the jacks with some de-oxidizing stuff. A can of compressed air to get rid of dust (although you have to be careful of where you blow your dust too). And a recap might not be a bad idea on any old mixer, like your 700... Anyway, you can put a lot of work and time in it, and you have to be sure that the parts that are in your mixer can stand a thorough cleaning. If the parts are plastic, you need to be carefull with the type of lubricant you use.
Anyway, let's see what Rude has to say smile

6 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-06-23 11:09:50)

Oh and as for sprays like deoxit, be careful because it can also do more harm than good. You can also just get some pure alcohol (96%, the less water the better) and a q-tip and start cleaning with that. Probably that's even better, as long as you don't use it on rubber and plastic parts.

Hey Brain, thnx for the advice! Yeah, it's a D&R. Thanks for the link to the manual: I had a quick look yesterday and could only find the manual of the 900.
I'm going for an nice and thorough cleaning: hoping to use this baby for years to come smile (I had to rebuild my studio with some Ikea modified furniture to put it all in so it better lasts for years to come wink)

you can find the artivcles i wrote in interface magazine..

id clean the pots and switches with deoxit with a brush (so not the spraycan) and wipe it off well. i did my faders with alcohol, and then relubed them with good old vaseline (the one from the gamma, not from the etos..) big_smile

its a hell of a job though, you have to take the faders apart, and preferrably also take the mixer apart to get access to the back of the pots and switches..

for the rest brian's advice was pretty sound. compressed air works to get the loose crap out of your faders, but doesn't do anything for caked crap.

oh, and never, ever put normal contact spray into your faders. it dissolves the resistance tracks, and you can throw them away..

coolex, lets get to work!

http://www.insaintjohn.ca/Saint%20John%20handyman.jpg

Inside picture up at www.tunnel-radio.nl/news.htm

looks very cool from the inside! (and was last checked on 11-12-1985!!!)

and now the power gave up.... shit! (I'm a guy who can break things while only looking at them sad) will look at the fuse tonight

12 (edited by baz 2009-06-25 22:48:56)

okey, it was not the fuse. I mesured the amount of power coming out of the coil transformer and it's 11,5 V instead of the 18 that the documents tell me. I assume this is the problem? can anybody veryfy?

*edit: stupid question... mesured the current before the diode.....

on to the next possibility

13 (edited by baz 2009-07-06 20:37:28)

Okey, all the pots are working (sort of...) but now have a little problem of the main left and right sending no signal sometimes... If I move the fader nothing happes, just have to wait or give the mixer a big boost of sound to switch the channels on again. Could it be something like the condensator? (a wilde guess, but it sounds somewhat logical to me...)

thx!

o yeah, btw a pic on: http://www.tunnel-radio.nl/news.htm (Juli 3th entry)

*EDIT: and writing stuff down makes you think... it was a cable problem al the time. Back to making music with a big smile on my face smile

since i did restauration of big desks (MCI , SOUNDCRAFT and WSW ) till now i believe i have big amount of expirience!!!

TO DO LIST

1. Check PSU, replace old filters ( capacitors ) for new ones .. keep same voltage range but you can use bigger filtering values!!!

2. Fully recap all capacitors ( electrolytics) in Desk...1985-2009 = 24 years old.... and they died cca 12 years ago!!!

3. Cleaning push switches and rotary pots... I use  Teslanol T6 spray... cant do harm there but dont spry too much!!!

4. Faders clean with destilated wather and 96% alcohol... MIX ... 90% water +10% alcohol and open every fader and clean...

5. check it and troubleshot if needed...

6. clean knobs, surface... close it and work

http://www.syntheticarts-studio.com

Brain is CV controlled device!!!!!! so we all are analog sequenced machines!!!! " ROBOTS "

thnx for the advices! I'll have a look at the things you said. I'll have a look at the right capacitors to replace the old ones after my holidays smile

It's old but still want to share my new knowledge:
The cracking in the speakers was due to a defect insert channel in the master section. The solution turned (after some help from the synthforum) out to be quite easy: get a stereo jack plug and solder the tip and ring together, this will bypass the insert channel and make the cracks go away!

hey, any tips on how to actually lubricate the faders with that vaseline stuff?

Best is to try to peal them apart. Another option is to use some .... cloth on a stick?.... to put it on the faders.

baz wrote:

.... cloth on a stick?....

Cotton swab? It could do the trick if you have good access to the fader, but get the ones with 100% cotton. They're only a bit more expensive but they don't stretch or give of fluff like the cheaper ones can do. I always use these more expensive swabs for cleaning my reel recorder and it really makes a difference.

you have to clean them first, otherwise the vaseling will just hold the crap inside the fader. i just put a little bit on my finger, and gently rub it on the plastic bit that holds the conductor track. wipe off excess vaseling, and put the fader back together. i did it more than a year ago, and they still feel like new..

my problem is that in my country it is extremely hard to access pure alcohol for cleaning.
you can get it with a perscription from the drug store only.

how do i open that fader btw? never done that, and i'm afraid i'll brake the whole thing if i use too much force or do something wrong. do i have to desolder it off the board or what?

i have a soundtracs topaz macro. it has 24 channels. two channels are dead, and the master fader has some small problems sometimes in certain positions. the faders are all really dirty as they are really sticky. it's not useless but i think those faders really need attention quite fast!

any tips / recommendations what i should do first?

22 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2010-04-11 20:56:26)

Most pharmacies should sell 96% isopropyl alcohol (aka IPA aka isopropanol aka 'rubbing alcohol') which is fine, the bit of water that is in there evaporates with the alcohol. If you can't find it at your pharmacy, try an electronics store (same place where you would buy a soldering iron and resistors). They often sell it too, but in a spray can at a higher price (but also a higher concentration). But alcohol isn't smart to use anyway if the fader has plastic parts.

How to reach and/or open the fader depends on the design, some faders can be 'boxed in' so you really have to open them up (for instance by desoldering the cover or clip away the solder), other (cheaper-) faders are more easily accessible. The fader is open when you can easily reach the rails on which the fader slides.

Edit 2: http://www.radiosystems.com/PDF/tech118.pdf