Re: Should I buy...

Id say, spend 150 on a mam vocoder and buy something like a juno 60 / 106 or mks 30/50/70.
Will be around 400/450 then im afraid. Or that micromodular thingie. Has decent vocoder and synth sounds as well.

1,377 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2010-03-31 11:32:34)

Novation Nova is also an alternative.  Don't know how that vocoder sounds tho, but all in all a very decent sounding synth. Maybe Alesis Ion? Don't know what the Ion will cost on the 2nd hand market.

meschi wrote:

Should I buy...
a Korg MS2000/MS2000R?
I'll have about £300/£350 to spend on a decent synth, and I'd like a vocoder.
Suppose my other option is either a microkorg or a second hand R3, are there any other possibilities out there that I could consider?
edit: hahaha, I just checked the posts above this. Didn't know you were already talking about it. Scratch the mocrokorg/R3 options then... is there anything else out there that could suit my needs?

Dude no one has mentioned a second hand Virus.. That is a very good synth and had a lot of bang for the buck and sounds very different to the microkorg, also the Korg R3 has a different synth engine to the Microkorg, its a scaled down Radius.

Want some real analog why not borrow my poly 61 for a while?

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

1,379 (edited by meschi 2010-03-31 13:35:16)

stentec, thanks for the MAM tip. people seem to be ragin about it on the nets. Ill check some vids and samples when I get home tonight. thanks.

brian: again, Ill check out the novation as well thanks. Ion looks cool. Ill try and get a 2nd hand price on that. I remember Koova saying about this one too when I went to buy something from him.

james, cool. I might try and get a play of the r3 soon then.
Sounds good to pick up the poly61 for a wee while as well. I won't be around until the weekend after next. Ill give you a shout then. smile

how much would a second hand virus skin you?

1,380 (edited by computerdisco 2010-03-31 14:42:36)

Bout £250 - 400 for a Virus A or B..

I had an R3 for a while but I wasn't impressed with the synth and sold it pretty quickly.  It sounds really bright and I thought it sounded more like a plug-in than a virtual analogue.  It comes with editing software but it wasn't very user friendly and if I remember correctly it's not multi timbral.

The R3 has 2 timbres like the microkorg. But unlike the microkorg which is only able to layer both timbres into 1 tone, the R3 lets you assign the second timbre to any midi channel you want.

They are very different sounding synths. I tried remaking my fav micro tones on the R3 and the results were pooor and to bright like Koova is saying. Maybe the parameters do not match 1 to 1 and it would take a bit of messin round to make it sound more like a micro.

The R3 does have tons of effects (fine tweak-able), amp sims, and even an extra boosting feature that adds sub oscs, drive or pickup simulation either before or after the filter. You can modulate between the filters (and there is a comb filter too). 1 mod sequencer per timbre.

I use it mostly for crazy subsonic, mod sequenced patches. I should add that I have never been able to make it sound good playing out live. It sits kinda strange in the mix when I use it for anything other than piano tones-maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Korg Poly or EX-800 or Casio CZ-101? Want something for decent strings and nasty bass.  smile

Gweilo wrote:

Korg Poly or EX-800 or Casio CZ-101? Want something for decent strings and nasty bass.  smile

Poly and EX are nice for decent strings/pads, but not so nice for nasty bass sounds. The envelopes are pretty sloppy so you can't get a punchy sound out of them. With the moog slayer mod they can produce some crazy frequencies (especially combined with the "FM" mod) when the filter is self-oscillating, but that stuff's better for sound fx and atonal techno melodies/basslines.

Hmm, yes. Looking on Youtube it seems the Korg are a little more versatile. I'm liking the lovely 80's sound coming from them.

meschi wrote:

stentec, thanks for the MAM tip. people seem to be ragin about it on the nets. Ill check some vids and samples when I get home tonight. thanks.

brian: again, Ill check out the novation as well thanks. Ion looks cool. Ill try and get a 2nd hand price on that. I remember Koova saying about this one too when I went to buy something from him.

Sounds good to pick up the poly61 for a wee while as well. I won't be around until the weekend after next. Ill give you a shout then. smile

The Novation Nova is six part multitimbral, and it's really straightforward to assign patches to different channels (unlike just for example a newer VA like a waldorf blofeld), has multimode filter and as some people says a really good vocoder (never tried that)...
Nice synth, real real fun when coupled with an rm1x or similar sequencer.
I cannot think of another virtual analog with the same features for the same price.

Gweilo wrote:

well poly-800 is way more easier to program than the casio.. but casio gives similar sounds and more too.
that´s why i did sell my korg and keeped the casio

Victor D wrote:
meschi wrote:

The Novation Nova is six part multitimbral, and it's really straightforward to assign patches to different channels (unlike just for example a newer VA like a waldorf blofeld), has multimode filter and as some people says a really good vocoder (never tried that)...
Nice synth, real real fun when coupled with an rm1x or similar sequencer.
I cannot think of another virtual analog with the same features for the same price.

the nova does seem ridiculously cheap, considering the features

still trying to get some dopplerefekt style bass sounds without any success though sad

1,389 (edited by Septicstudio 2010-04-03 10:20:21)

if you dont mind usingf a computer get a UseAudio Plugiator, it is a HW synth but tweaking is best done on a computer

Got the best vocoder in software imo.
http://www.use-audio.com/plugiator.htm
http://www.hispasonic.com/images/articles/Noah/Vocodizer_noah_500.jpg

It can sound from anything between a VC10 up to a EMS3000, if you know what are the used bands and filterfreqs and how to tweak ofc smile
Or a MAM indeed or a Clavia MicroMod

You're the first guy I've seen recommend the Plugiator.

I want to be excited about it. Sell me on it!

i aint got no % of the deal or ?

but anyways, it got the Minimax, Pro12 and PRodyssey aswell the Lighwave (wavetable) synth.

the first 3 i used to have as the ASB versions, and I made almost any synthsound on my first 6 cds with em or so smile
its about 350 euros orso, it is a real steal....only too bad it hasnt got a good OSX support otherwise I would have one.

I had the minimax next to my voyager, and ofc it sounds not as fat, it is for the money the best moogclone you can get.
The Pro12, well I loved it more than the korg mono/poly...but i am a sucker for the P5 polymod

nakoradiomies wrote:
Gweilo wrote:

well poly-800 is way more easier to program than the casio.. but casio gives similar sounds and more too.
that´s why i did sell my korg and keeped the casio

Thanks for the response, think I'll go for the ease of programming of the Korg for now and pick up a CZ at a later date.

Ensoniq DP/4 for $175?

unicity wrote:

Ensoniq DP/4 for $175?

I say yes!

TB or not TB

Freek wrote:
unicity wrote:

Ensoniq DP/4 for $175?

I say yes!

I second That!

Need a mixer with more channels. A guy offered me his old Studiomaster Serie 5 with 24 channels.
He asks for 450€ but i have the feeling it's a little bit much. Also i heard rumours that the Studiomasters are kinda noisy.
It seems that some people call them Noisemaster. smile Others say it's great. Somebody have experience with those boards?

who cares if it adds character to your tracks? people do the same thing with d&r mixers (and they can be noisy!) but thats part of the character of the mixer..

computerdisco wrote:
Freek wrote:
unicity wrote:

Ensoniq DP/4 for $175?

I say yes!

I second That!

yeah - that's a good price.  it's a cool processor, i had one until recently.  only got rid of it because it was a little deeper than my needs require.  the dp4+ has a vocoder that i understand is very cool.

rude66 wrote:

who cares if it adds character to your tracks? people do the same thing with d&r mixers (and they can be noisy!) but thats part of the character of the mixer..

From this point of view you are right. The Roland chorus is noisy too but sounds great nonetheless.

But what about the price of the mixer? Anyone?

Roland SDE-2000 Delay
What would you pay for it?