Topic: Just another Italo mix

Hey guys....

Made this a while back.  Nothing too serious... nothing fancy.  I would appreciate if some of you would listen... give me some pointers/tips/comments/constructive criticism.  This may be the last Italo mix I make, because I didn't notice until after I had finished how bad the sound quality is on some of the songs.  I guess mp3s just aren't gonna cut it... who knew!?  Anyways, again, I would love it if you listened.  There are guaranteed to be songs you love and songs you hate... I tried to get a good variety of Italo in there.... good, bad, cheesy, bizarre, etc

Tracklist:
Fred Ventura - Leave Me Alone (Swedish rmx)
Mike Mareen - Dancing in the Dark (Galactica rmx)
Lime - Guilty
Midnight Passion - I need Your Love
Silent Circle - Touch in the Night
Digital Emotion - Get Up Action
Mozzart - Money
Grant Miller - Colder Than Ice
Mata Hari - Mata Hari
Sphinx - When I'm In Love
Texas Johnny - Superman
Mr. Master - Dog in The Night (instr.)
Starflight - Dancer
Video Club - Lost Time

http://soundcloud.com/pegirardot/mushaden-italo-sampler

I don't know how to make it so there is a download link.  Anyone?

2 (edited by Galliano 2010-04-12 09:34:14)

Re: Just another Italo mix

Which are the bizarre ones? Or perhaps: Which are not? wink

Contains some good ol' cheezy favourites from the past.
I'll give it a try

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

OK, some comments after I listened to the mix:

As you say, the sound is a bit "flat" (due to mp3?), some more bass would have been nice.

And most of the tracks are well know for me since years and perhaps not that very interesting anymore.

But apart from that, I think the mixing is really superb.
Excellent transitions!
If I had got this mix ten years ago it would have been absolutely mind-blowing.

Can't wait to hear another one from you...thanks mate!

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

4 (edited by Mr. Maximal 2010-04-12 15:17:37)

What Galliano says. Also watch difference in volumes on transitions. You want all tracks to be more or less at the same volume. It's kinda hard I struggle with it in my mixes all the time. And it needs a bass boost.

Moment of mixing is chosen well, not always easy on Italo & Disco music.

nice mix smile

As robots have said here, the mixing is real nice and the "drive" is allright. But as Galliano mentioned, you should try to come up with some "new" stuff - in that meant that you should seek out those really special tracks that make up the real good drive in the mix (I'm a sucker for melodies, so I'm always looking for new tunes with interesting or unusual melodic parts).
But then again - who am I to say? Most of my own mixes consist of more or less well known stuff so...  roll  I tend to play whatever I fancy at the moment  lol

Thanks for the comments, guys.  The volume is really hard to balance out... I'm always worried about going into the red on Ableton.  Sorry if I made it sound like there was going to be new rarities in the mix  tongue , I'm well aware that all the tracks are well known... just trying to make my pitch  wink

I find it very hard to come up with something original with so many purists around here...

9 (edited by baz 2010-04-13 09:43:04)

mushaden wrote:

Thanks for the comments, guys.  The volume is really hard to balance out... I'm always worried about going into the red on Ableton.  Sorry if I made it sound like there was going to be new rarities in the mix  tongue , I'm well aware that all the tracks are well known... just trying to make my pitch  wink

Just try it with good old records for a change then tongue

But to solve some of the problems: in Ableton it's possible to set all the volumes correct with each track before you mix isn't it? It's a good idea to put a compressor / limiter on the master (and an eq) I think it will resolve your bass-problems as well.

Mr. Maximal wrote:

I find it very hard to come up with something original with so many purists around here...

I just stopped trying wink

Just wait for my new mix containing uber-rare klaus wunderlich space-disco-moog crap.

baz wrote:
Mr. Maximal wrote:

don't be like that guys, you can do it  cool

Don't get me wrong:
The tracks are great - only "problem" is I found out already a long time ago smile
When I started to spin italo stuff as a DJ, many of them (including some unexpected ones) were standards in my sets.

You're obviously very talented when it comes to selecting which tracks to mix with each other and you seem to be skilled with Ableton too.

So my only complaint is I want to hear more mixes from you  big_smile

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

black shape wrote:
baz wrote:
Mr. Maximal wrote:

don't be like that guys, you can do it  cool

Just gonna play glitch-bliep-bloep-beng-shit electro from now on, nobody plays that here wink

Thanks for your tips, Baz.  All I know about Ableton is what I've learned from monkeying around with it, so the knowledge is very much appreciated.  I'll be sure to post any mixes I do here, but I don't have much time to make them.  Thanks for the encouragement, bots