1 (edited by crc 2010-04-27 12:30:44)

Topic: working librarian for yamaha dx21

wanted to dump my patches from my dx21. can't seem to make it work.
any ideas/suggestions for a good sysex librarian? all the old ones don't seem to work on my new vista.
the one that almost works is a program called unisynth, but it only manages to get 27 sounds, so that is 5 sounds short of all the patches.

edit: i would use the tape save interface, but it uses that old din output, and i don't have a suitable cable.

Re: working librarian for yamaha dx21

have you tried this one http://www.jsynthlib.org/?
It works with winxp, don't know about vista.

configured it and all, but then nothing happens. all menus are empty ect.
must be too dumb to use it tongue

midiquest

yeah boyeee

also make sure your midi interface will pass sysex info, i ran into that problem with an akai mpd24, but then when i plugged in a much simpler edirol um-1, worked fine

yeah boyeee

6 (edited by crc 2010-04-27 15:40:29)

i use a rme multiface, and midiquest is not cheap

Have you tried just recording the dump directly into a DAW?

unicity: yeah i tried with my custom cable i built to get sync24 out of my kenton pro solo (works as audio out with my c64 too) but it didn't work. i think the easiest solution would be to get that right "din>rca" cable to make tape dumps like i do with my crumar bit one. midi dumps would just be alot faster and easier.

No no, I mean recording the actual MIDI data of the SysEx dump to a MIDI track in your DAW. 

In a nutshell, you start recording on a MIDI track on your DAW, then initiate the bulk dump on the DX21 and it will be recorded into the MIDI track in the DAW.   When the DX21 is done trasmitting, stop recording on the MIDI track.  This MIDI track now contains all of your patches.

Then when you want to load the data back into the DX21, you just play back the MIDI file you made in your DAW and send to the DX21.

10 (edited by Victor D 2010-04-27 20:55:02)

crc wrote:

configured it and all, but then nothing happens. all menus are empty ect.
must be too dumb to use it tongue

is the dx21 in edit mode when you use it?
If I remember correctly that software won't let you edit anything if in patch selection mode.
Shit if only I had my dx21 here with me I would have checked sad

edit
with dx21 in edit mode
in the main window go to library/new library
then patch/get
select patch (or bank) and go.
insist on it because it was the only way to save patches for me...
tried sound diver too (and its generally the best thing to store edit patches) but it had problems regarding the dx21 adaptation.

11 (edited by biotek 2010-04-27 21:44:42)

atari st has the best librarian/editor software, and they work perfectly well on that one emulator which has midi features.

Monkey see, monkey do.

victor d: i finally i got that synthlib working with my dx. was a bit tricky. must have been that edit mode thing where i failed earlier. haven't tried loading the soundbank back to the dx yet. hopefully it's not as complicated this time around. thanks!

crc wrote:

victor d: i finally i got that synthlib working with my dx. was a bit tricky. must have been that edit mode thing where i failed earlier. haven't tried loading the soundbank back to the dx yet. hopefully it's not as complicated this time around. thanks!

cool! I'm glad I could help smile