Topic: semi-dead mfb-synth

ciaociao,

i have an old mfb-synth here, i've bought it arround 10 years ago. since ca. 1 year it doesn't sounds anymore.
it lights up an even the sequencer seems working, at least it blinks when i programm it and play, but nomore
"groargziengbrrrsounds" as it used to do once. today i've opend it (the first time), hoping it works then ...eheh, well naive, i know...but sometimes... in this case not.

anyboty has an idea, what it could be (the years??) or i could try?

thanks in advance

Re: semi-dead mfb-synth

is there no sound at all? no crackling or hiss from the output as you play with various knobs? no resonating filter? are there different outputs (headphones etc) that you tried?
can you play it via an external source (midi, cv, clock, etc)?

well, yes there is a distorted crackling/hiss sound and yes it changes when i turning the knops (filter, adsr 1&2, vco's, etc.) even the tempo-knob let this crackling/hiss sound run in sync to the sequencer blink.
there is only one aux-ouput.
yes, i also can play that c/h sound on a midikeybord, no clock, cv, etc. connections existent.

m.f.b@t-online.de

to me, it looks like a broken operational amplifier.

sander: will try this sooner or later, thanks

alex: is it fixable for a layman like i am?

well, mine was just a supposition based on what you report... Anyways, I don't know how Manfred Fricke designed his
PCBs, but if he is a serious engineer he will have possibly used sockets for ICs. In this case, removing and replacing
should be straightforward, just like unsitting the old one and replacing it with the new one.

The only thing is that the operational should be checked before saying that it is that one... can't you find anybody
near you that has some decent electronic knowledge to check the circuit for you? He will possibly need an oscilloscope
to do a proper check, but already with a multimeter you can get out some information that will tell you if the chip is
burned - but you have to know how and where to look....

Best advice, if you are in Italy (if I remember correctly, right?) is to bring it to a TV repair man (those in their mid
fifties should be able to fix it for you for a decent price, don't go to modern shop!) and have him check all the
signals.

hope this helps!

at least: can you open up the device and take a couple of good pictures of the back and the front of the PCB?
Sometimes fucked up components can be already seen because they are burned or because you can see burned
traces and other nifty stuff..

alex_d_steak wrote:

well, mine was just a supposition based on what you report... Anyways, I don't know how Manfred Fricke designed his
PCBs, but if he is a serious engineer he will have possibly used sockets for ICs. In this case, removing and replacing
should be straightforward, just like unsitting the old one and replacing it with the new one.

The only thing is that the operational should be checked before saying that it is that one... can't you find anybody
near you that has some decent electronic knowledge to check the circuit for you? He will possibly need an oscilloscope
to do a proper check, but already with a multimeter you can get out some information that will tell you if the chip is
burned - but you have to know how and where to look....

Best advice, if you are in Italy (if I remember correctly, right?) is to bring it to a TV repair man (those in their mid
fifties should be able to fix it for you for a decent price, don't go to modern shop!) and have him check all the
signals.

hope this helps!

yes, you're right. sisi, ho capito di che tipo stai parlando...tocca trova' uno.
anyway...
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/46/l_8078dc0da17b4474be8805f48c2940a4.jpg
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/48/l_34862a3a80e04bc190932c31ccd3cf2f.jpg

voio prova' di fa 2 meglio domattina sotto il sole.

cmq, thanks doctors!

mettile su imageshack o da qualche altra parte alla risoluzione massima che puoi, purtroppo non ci vedo pi

cmq se non mi inganna, il socket ce l'ha solo l'IC pi

he's back after 3months of holiday in berlin, at frickes place and work like a charme.

Ok so you sent it to the Creator himself smile well it was the best choice at the end big_smile

Did he tell you what was happened?

yo alex, no unfortunately not.
but it cost me just the shipping from there to me. smile ..so not to much questions from my side.... tongue