Topic: Curious about SCI Six-Track...

I have always been curious about the six-track, but never had a chance to try one or find decent demos on the net... does anybody have it and does anybody want to share impressions? smile

Re: Curious about SCI Six-Track...

http://www.bluesynths.com/
http://www.bluesynths.com/modules.php?n … amp;id=123

For samples

cheers stentec, great samples there smile

Your welcome. Its a great site with nice reviews and samples.

i have one, don't use it that much but i'd never part with it other than maybe for a p600.. very nice and fat sound for a 1 osc synth, mostly because of the possibility to stack 6 voices, if you want to, each with a different program.. for the rest a pain to operate especially if the switches are not in perfect condition anymore, and pretty limited in esoteric functions. all in all a nice machine if you can get it for a decent price..

edit: about bluesynths: i hate sites when i have to create an account first before i can read anything..

I don't know why they do that but its worth it definitely one of the best sites on the internet about synthesizers

really such a pain to operate? the one assignable knob through numeric keypad doesn't sound that bad... also I read everything is controllable via midi, sounds like such a plus... I am more and more tempted, so much cheaper than a p600 hmm

Squadra Smackos wrote:

I don't know why they do that but its worth it definitely one of the best sites on the internet about synthesizers

that is!

it's a pain to operate because the switches don't always work well, so sometimes numbers don't get typed in properly, or the switch program/parameter/value doesn't work on first hit. and personally i don't like the feeling of those soft pads, i'd prefer harder ones.
midi control sounds good, but somehow it's never worked for me, i had various midi controllers hooked up to it and while it works fine, it somehow doesn't feel like you are working on the machine, which is a problem i have with midi controllers in general..:D

http://www.bugmenot.com/view/bluesynths.com

:-)

I use mine as a six part multitimbral monosynth.  I controll it with the berhinger BCR2000.  I have put the time into the midi controller and it saves all my patches and works quite nice.  Another nice feature on the six track is the local off, so it works as a midi keyboard while it is a midi slave. I wouldn't pay over $300 USD for one,got mine for$100 + a little strawberyy cough, hehe. and I wouldn't bother with it at all if you don't use a midi controller.  Envelopes are slow hitting, but overall it was a great addition to my setup.  It can get some freaky ass sounds, descent bass......great for live sets. does not compare to the greatness of the p600, however.

thanks for the input guys, I have bought one for really cheap and looking forward to getting it. I will most probably use its arpeggiator and MIDI CC for glitchy/FXish layers driving it from Logic, and then who knows. Those samples on bluesynth tell me there's so much more to it, I will maybe consider getting a behringer controller to also edit it in real time and make it more of a performance synth but for the moment I will keep it as a studio piece in the midi rig... I still want a p600 though...

well.... I got it yesterday and am so pleased. I personally think the thing is fantastic, versatile and sounds soooo good. it's definitely going to be one of the best additions to my setup. now it's time to write some music wink

glad you like the purchase cimabot! we really like ours though we have a major problem with the switches even after two cleaning sessions on them. (got it used for $200) we have a p600 though so that is pretty much the work horse for us.

i've used this with midi a bit, mostly with a mobius sequencer and other synths, but not with a midi controller. does the controller take over the problem of not being able to select patches and edit them if the pads aren't working? and if so, good controller to look into using for it?

worship the potentiometer.

screenvinylimage wrote:

glad you like the purchase cimabot! we really like ours though we have a major problem with the switches even after two cleaning sessions on them. (got it used for $200) we have a p600 though so that is pretty much the work horse for us.

i've used this with midi a bit, mostly with a mobius sequencer and other synths, but not with a midi controller. does the controller take over the problem of not being able to select patches and edit them if the pads aren't working? and if so, good controller to look into using for it?

still not sure about all the midi possibilities, surely when the switches stop working must be a bummer. this one seems fine so far, although the rubber little squares have a funny feeling about them, like rude66 mentioned before.

I will start using it by pushing midi data to it, phrases plus basic cc on cutoff and resonance from logic, to make it sound a bit organic...

does it not get program changes via midi? still haven't opened the manual but also check this pdf from bluesynths, seems to contain all midi controllable functions:

http://www.bluesynths.com/modules.php?n … amp;id=123

will post further impressions after the weekend ahead...

Thx for the link cimabot!

i always see stuff about parameter changes but not program changes, but either way, the faulty pads on ours makes it a bitch to mess with. I might open it up and give it another cleaning, maybe using a light grit sandpaper on the pads will help?

Really glad yours doesn't have that problem though, we found ours at a guitar store, no one there knew anything about it or even really cared so we decided to give it a good home. haha. have fun this weekend!

screenvinylimage wrote:

Any Midi controller with memory will store patches for you.  On the Berhinger BCR2000 I can control every parameter from one page, it has opened up the sixtrak so much for me.  I used logics midi environment before that, but it doesn't compare to real knobs.  I use the shit out of the sixtrak, on multiple midi channels, and I never have to touch it once its turned on and set to the right midi modes.

thx carl light! good to know, i'll have to look into controllers if the next cleaning doesn't work. outside of the BCR2000 that i've seen mentioned, any bots on here recommend any other controllers?

One of my fav synths. Bought one after hearing this demo http://www.vintagesynth.com/audio/sixtrack.mp3

Also check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW3cWzzVBfA when he starts the sequencer with the cutie pie bassline

ppl may think i act like a pig, but in the end i look cute !

almost all synth-sounds in this track are done by the six-track and was recorded in one take using it as a multitimbral synth (years ago): check trak

TB or not TB

if anyone see's one around REPORT big_smile