Re: What new booty have you acquired?

Right, I assume you know which one I have because you saw my eBay auction?

but even the early B has no more cool patterns than the "A", just more latin stuff.
The later B loses the disco patterns and has few useful ones unless you do exotic electronica or something.
So while the B does have twice the patterns, I feel the "A" is the most desirable.  My tech had both iterations on his bench and said that the B sounded better because of better caps or other parts, I A/B'd them and thought they were very similar except for one having lower tuned HH, probably just because of trimpot settings

Funny the Bs used to be way more desirable than the "A"s. Must have switched around recently as I see people chasing for the original KR55.

roginator wrote:

had 8801
good sound..BUT poor made rack ..shame on neve
I sold it !!!

Did you have any specific problems with it? I've been using it a while and it seems well made to me so far.

plikestechno wrote:

Funny the Bs used to be way more desirable than the "A"s. Must have switched around recently as I see people chasing for the original KR55.

I think the "A" might be a bit less common, it also has a more classic status as the DM Speak and Spell drum machine.  I think it looks a bit nicer too.

I'm discussing the price of this with the shop selling it:

http://images.qxlricardo.com/ImgUsers/2/5/593/59345/5934590/593459060_Big.jpg

It's a 1941 Steinway S-155, completely restored, with new mechanics and keyboard, original wood.

The shop wants around 28.000 CHF, I'm trying to get it for 24/25.000.

You might wonder: why would you buy such an expensive piano?
There are some reasons behind it... the first is that I have fallen in love with that piano.
I did study music and piano for something around 12 years, my cousin (who is a professional classic piano player and
orchestra director) had the very same piano at home, I would spend entire afternoons training myself on that.

Second reason is that my wife is pushing me to buy one to put in the living room because she loves it as a piece of
furniture as well (and I have to say that it is very beautiful)...

And the third reason... well.. I've been asked to perform professionally in a small chamber orchestra here in Switzerland,
hence I would get paid to play music. Since I don't think I will ever make electronic music my first source of income,
maybe I can try to get back to all these years spent learning the piano...

Might be as well that the eventual future colleagues are really nice people that I already get along well without playing,
we did some private rehearsal and the "human climate" was really good and laid back (for how much a classic music
orchestra can be, of course).

a.

if you have the space and the money, do it! Then you can make your Alva Noto style album too

@teknob
The space, I have already smile Regarding the money, well, my wife would participate at 50%...
And then if my son gets interested into it, then it would prove itself the best investment I could ever make smile

alex_d_steak wrote:

You might wonder: why would you buy such an expensive piano?

I did no such wondering.  I really hope it works out for you.  Oh how I'd love to be in the position where I could even consider making that purchase!

2,759 (edited by cebteq 2010-05-11 19:15:17)

oops wrong thread

alex_d_steak wrote:

@teknob
The space, I have already smile Regarding the money, well, my wife would participate at 50%...
And then if my son gets interested into it, then it would prove itself the best investment I could ever make smile

Do it man its an amazing instrument.. Good luck!

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

wow steinway is great we have a yamaha @ my work (witch is great to) but the steinways are so much nicer (i think (not everybody agrees with me)) a few weeks ago our pianoman brought a steinway (a 3 meter concert dont know what type) but this was magic man

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

Complete Atari Falcon 030 / Steinberg Cubase 2.0 system
Roland SDE-3000
Complete Roland S330 system
Korg Wavestation EX

Probably not going to keep all of it, but it's nice to try all this cool gear, though it is time consuming.
I love the sound of the Wavestation!

http://www.bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/JH_Tau_Pipe_files/DSC00645.jpg

a small disclosure of the large batch coming soon tongue

alex_d_steak wrote:

It's a 1941 Steinway S-155, completely restored, with new mechanics and keyboard, original wood.

That sure is a beautiful instrument... We have a Steinway C piano from 72 in the studio, and it sounds wonderful.
I can se that you have some connection to this instrument, but have you considered Steingraeber?? Most of the jazz musicians i know tend to be switching to them now a days...

Anyways good luck with the steinway, it will be a great instrument in any studio or home.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

@Erroraudio
how often you have it checked by a tuner? does it need a lot of maintenance (in general and compared to other coda pianos)?
a.

's bit weird, but I kind of miss having a piano standing in my room. It's still in my old flat in vienna, and although I hardly ever used it when I was still living there it was just nice to have it standing there... and once in a while open it up to play some chords from pieces I still remember playing when I was 12.
Got no room for it here in rotterdam, apart from shipping being out of my league concerning money.  hmm

alex_d_steak wrote:

@Erroraudio
how often you have it checked by a tuner? does it need a lot of maintenance (in general and compared to other coda pianos)?
a.

Since the one you are looking at has been serviced I wouldn't worry about that for a good 7-10 years depending on use. Pianos are very sensitive to temperature and movement. So because ours get rolled around the studio quite often, and we have Aircon in the room, we have it tuned before any session where the client requests use of the piano. We do not grantee that the piano is in tune without that the tuner guy has been in there...
But having a piano in a living room is something completely different. You will probably never move the thing, and the temperature changes are not as extreme as in our room. So i would not worry. The piano might need excessive tuning the first 6-10 months but after that it should be more accustomed to the temperature and humidity of your home, thus only needing tuning 2-4 times a year. (of course this depends on your tolerance for piano tuning)

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

@Erroraudio
thanks for the information. Well, concerning my tuning requirements, I of course prefer to have precisely tuned instrument
at all times.
Now it all depends whether it will be used to support this eventual piano "career" or it will just be a personal desire fulfilled..
In the first case, then I'd get a tuner in house regularly... in the second case, I think that once a year might be ok. I am not
a piano "banger" and my touch is usually very delicate, so I don't think I would contribute to the detuning big_smile
It will anyways reside in the living room, so no moving planned.

How much do they ask for tuning over there?

thanks,
a.

Its not like our piano is in constant need of tuning but for jazz and other acustic recordings it's quite essential. On rock stuff I don't mind the piano being a bit off... Plus our piano is offen retuned to either 440-442Hz and has a setteling period after such a retune.
Well good tuning don't come cheap so i think we pay about 100-134euro... You can always get the tuning equipment your self and do minor tuneups. Its not that hard to fix one string but to get the hole ting tempered correctly thats the hard part.
Another good rule is not to let the pianostrings get sunlight, that is instant out of tune....

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

@Erroraudio.  If you've got air conditioning in the studio I'd make sure you've got a humidifier in the system.  A Steinway needs a relative humidity of between 45% and 70% and AC can lower your RH if there's no fresh air supply into the room.  We recently upgraded a small auditorium with a Steinway and the RH was one of their main concerns.

what's the ideal humidity for analogue synths? I'm not being silly, but asking seriously. My stuff is setup in the cellar, and my wife is of the opinion it is too humid there, to the point of getting an air dryer. This was able to bring it down from 78% down to 50-60%.
What sort of damage can high humidty do to old electronics?

I'm not sure about electronics, but bare steel, like unpainted screws and screw holes and such start to rust at around 50% I believe, not instantly or in a major way of course but the factor is there for it to occur.

electronics and metal suffer from excessive humidity (unless planned and built to withstand that).

check any IC reference sheet where the specs are written, you should see there the environmental requirements...
Synthesizer wise, if you read some manuals you'll see that all the times they say you should not use the device under
extreme sunlight or temperature, as well as excessive humidity and cold.

For instance, the datasheet for the SSM 2013 reports that it can be stored switched off between -55 to +125 degrees C,
while operated in a range of -10 to +55 degrees C. No reporting regarding humidity, but you can be sure that it would have
an impact.

2,774 (edited by TONY COPS 2013-06-03 14:38:24)

edited

oooh - G77 and GR77b! - nice!