Re: bent vinyls

using the oven is ridiculous for vinyl, that's probably the worst possible method, next to impossible. you are almost guaranteed to detsroy the record completely. it is however the best way to de-warp 78's.

you really need two pieces of glass, or similarly perfectly smooth and flat surfaces. you need to heat up the record while it is sandwiched between 2 smooth surfaces, so there's little else but glass that will work. heating up the record somewhere and then moving it somewhere else to be flattened is almost guaranteed to fail.

i'd never heard the iron idea, it sounds somewhat promising.

sunlight is best but depending on how sunny it is, 5 minutes could be way, way too long. the record does not need to be very hot at all to become slightly maleable (that's why the oven idea is retarded)...and equally important is a long cool-off time....don't even think about removing or even checking the record until you are sure it's completely cool...if the record is still even slightly warm, it will warp all over the place if it has any space to do so...

keep in mind how easy it is for a record to become warped -- a few minutes in direct sunlight, even inside a cardboard box, can do it....so you want to be very subtle and gentle in your attempt to de-warp

27 (edited by catweasel 2008-07-26 07:36:03)

i put the record in a papersleeve, put that between two 32 X 32 cm steelplates (heavy and plane), put that into the middlepart of my oven and heat that 20 minutes (exact value of heat should be gained individually, because every oven gains different) then leave that 2 hours alone and you'll have a plane record without any loss of quality.

works beautiful!

you must have a very, very low temperature setting on your oven? either that or it preheats very slowly. i've tried it for 5 minutes at the lowest setting on my oven, and it was plastic goo.

i had good results using warm water and my hands

^more detail please.. I can't imagine how this might work.

Ironic that it's so easy to warp a vinyl and so hard to flatten it.

i guess it depends on the degree of disformation. i had 2 records with a pretty sharp bent (thanks mr postman) and i used water in my sink to get the vinyl soft and then bent it back using my hands. i guess you can do the same with warped vinyl softening it by means of warm water and then put the record between to pieces of glass and put sth heavy on it.
use a crap record first to get a feeling for the nedded temperature and shit

leedorean wrote:

i guess it depends on the degree of disformation. i had 2 records with a pretty sharp bent (thanks mr postman) and i used water in my sink to get the vinyl soft and then bent it back using my hands. i guess you can do the same with warped vinyl softening it by means of warm water and then put the record between to pieces of glass and put sth heavy on it.
use a crap record first to get a feeling for the nedded temperature and shit

i think im gonna give this a go. I got don ray - standing in the rain and its warped, not totally noticable but it annoys me. ill ty it with some old one first and let you's know how it goes.

I'd imagine using the sun as a heat source would work best. This way you can check it periodically to make sure it's coming  out OK and you can salvage it before it gets TOO hot and you end up with a black pancake.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

34 (edited by meschi 2008-07-30 16:55:08)

indeed.

http://ricster.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/burned-pancake.jpg

Stinki wrote:

you must have a very, very low temperature setting on your oven? either that or it preheats very slowly. i've tried it for 5 minutes at the lowest setting on my oven, and it was plastic goo.

yes, very low temperature.. similar to what you'd get in your sunlight method
some people also use screws in order to hold the two pieces of glass together and apply increasing pressure
as i said, it's a bit of an art... god nows how many records you have to melt down until master the technique

"Sed modo senectus morbus est

if you're in toronto, cosmo's at queen and bathurst has a machine that will flatten your warped records. it costs $20 and takes 5 hours. suppossedly it will work, havent tried it myself but finding a similar machine would be the best bet (especially if you've got something rare that you wouldnt want to fuck up in the oven.)

http://www.therecordstore.com.au/images/VinylFlattner.jpg http://www.audiorevelation.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/thumbs/airtight/DiskFlatterer.jpg
machines look lsomething ike this.
good luck!

mule driver - what record is it that you are wanting to unwarp?
:?

i have few slightly bent 12"s (andy stott, pinch maybe  1 or 2 more)
and in the last package i got (suction rec. stuff) most of the records are slightly bent, it's not bad,
i can still listen to it, but it annoying when mixing.

yesterday i went to buy glass plates but couldn't find an working glazier (this how they called? the glassmen)
maybe they had a glazier holiday?

^ be sure to record them 1st. Personally If the record actually plays start to finish without jumping, I'd be reluctant to risk it.

Did a little research and discovered a local record store has some kind of machine out the back, called a "Vinyl Reformer"!
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/POP/MP1080~Reform-School-Girl-Posters.jpg

it plays from start to end but it's hard to mix like this

ok i did 2 test, both test records were badly bent.
put them between 2 heavy glass in the sun.
first one for around 10 minutes then cool it down few hours. it's still bent but playable
the second one didn't effected by the process, so i putted it again in the sun for almodt an hour
and cool with pill of records on top of it all night long and it still bent...

maybe i miss something?

waxHead wrote:

Anyone know if there's a store with one of these in the US?  Don't really want to send a record to Australia just to have it flattened...

Sounds like there's also a place in Canada that has a record-flattening machine... anyone know of one in the United States??

Haha!
it works!
i put the a record between 2 glasses but this time i was busy with some things and forgot about it.
after 2 hours i rushed back to take it, put heavy wight on top off it for 4 hours
and now it is flat again and sounds as good as new.

i gonna test another one tomorrow.

thats awesome news mule driver!
what thickness were the glass sheets you used?

i recently bought a dollar bin record that turned out to be really good but sadly its slightly concave on the a-side so i cant listen to the extended mix, so i need to find a way to flatten it.
unfortunately we havent had much sun here in ontario this summer, so i've been thinking of tackling this project with a heat gun

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/35700-35799/35776.gif

has anyone tried this method??
i figure that the low temperature (about 250 degrees celsius / 482 farenheit) should be enough to help bend it back. blowing heat onto it for a few minutes (from a fair distance so as not to melt the grooves) while i rest the record on a flat glass surface, then placing a heavy flat surface onto the record while it cools down should work.

but just incase, i'll try it with a more common record first.

Mule Driver wrote:

Haha!
it works!
i put the a record between 2 glasses but this time i was busy with some things and forgot about it.
after 2 hours i rushed back to take it, put heavy wight on top off it for 4 hours
and now it is flat again and sounds as good as new.

i gonna test another one tomorrow.

So this was in the sun?

@ Communicator:
yes, it was in the sun, i was very excited so i forgot to mention it.

@ Plat0r:
glass thickness i used is 8mm although it doesn't matter for the bottom glass.
thickness = heaviness.

never used heat gun, but it might take more then few minutes to make the vinyl soft.

Gotta be careful w/ that heat gun. They get what you point them at A LOT hotter a lot quicker than you think. Start far and keep moving it, don't keep it pointed at one spot for too long.

Always be careful not to leave the tip resting on something flammable, and watch your skin!

And what about bent flexi discs? any idea how to fix them?
Mail man just bent an envelope with flexi so it would fit in my mail box.

I have a few bent records
I always wondered about this

Then I started playing them all warped and the sound goes kind of warped too.

I also kind of like watching the needles go o the warped part

its trippy.

but som records like my night of the living dead soundtrack is so warped the needle jumps.  The songs that are affected are un playable at this point.  I say just leave them warped, play what you can and forget ever fixing it.  I have not bothered since 1992 to ever try these heat solutions.

i tried stacking pile and leaving them for months.  never worked.

NV

i managed to fix bent vinyls in the past. Now the thing is a flexi disc...
i use 2 glasses as written above but the flexi is to slim, i don't think this technic will work this time