Topic: Spotify

well. like. wow.

Re: Spotify

why does spotify only have major label stuff?

cuties don't exert

It doesn't work here. It's ridiculous. What's the purpose of an internet thing if you can't access it from anywhere?
We are excluded even in the internet. And it was supposed to have no boundaries.
What difference does it make if I'm sitting here in Rio or in Helsinki or wherever? We're the same zeros and ones.
And you know what? If this shit eventualy become available in Brasil, I won't even bother to look.

It's dying on its arse.

Those who have it can make a collaborative playlist.

That's quite a nice feature... even tho its a chore finding tunes that I actually like.

cuties don't exert

ytz wrote:

why does spotify only have major label stuff?

its not that bad. yeah you ain't gonna find much legowelt on there (yet) but biosphere is a good start.
also can, neu plus lots of velvets, the fall...

btw bmx was here already

http://www.robotsforrobots.net/viewtopic.php?id=2929

keep hackney crap

I like last.fm better. It's more open meaning anyone can upload material there directly without having to make some sort of shady deal with a few selected aggregators. Thus the radio database is jam packed with interesting music, not just big label consumer products. Cheaper too.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Spotify seems like a business model from time warner, sony, universal and emi to increase their marketshare. Why else are the smaller but more interesting musiclabels excluded?

I think asteroid has hit the nail more or less on the head. It's a business model which maintains control of the product and the environment in which it is heard. It got quite a bit of hype in the UK press. Thankfully, it is no longer free and by all accounts is not in the best of health.

If I was in my 40s, had a busy life, liked to listen to some tunes now and then... I'd love it. Probably.

cuties don't exert

okok. i kinda expected that, ofcourse there is loads of indie stuff missing. The upside is, there is loads of stuff you CAN listen. I already discovered loads of nice disco stuff i otherwise wouldn't have found. If you see it as it is, a kinda mainstream medium it's about the best platform around imo.

10 (edited by ytz 2010-05-24 13:05:39)

OK, so. Big U-turn. Yes, Spotify is glossy and corporate and horrible.

But, curious to try again after this topic, I just spent this weekend in thrall to its playlist. It doesn't have everything, but this weekend I mostly listened to Wire, A Hawk & A Hacksaw, Arthur Russell, Brian Eno, Neu!, Velvets, Fall, Art Ensemble of Chicago, To Rococo Rot, Alice Coltrane, Gong, Madlib, Nina Simone, Basic Channel, The Complete 'On The Corner' Sessions, Moodymann, Herbert, Sonny Sharrock, Can, Slits, Ashra, Mogwai, Fridge, Theo Parrish, Lindstrom, The Books, Joy Division, Vashti Bunyan, Sun Ra, Arovane, .snd, Theolonious Monk, Don Cherry, John Beltran, Pole, Cluster, Talking Heads, 'Sing A Song of Songmy', Vladislav Delay...

etc.

etc.

etc.

I WAS WRONG, OK? WRONG!

(In a way it felt like I was testing some labels to see if they had signed up to the corporate cock.... Lots of now defunct indies have sold their back catalogues it seems.... Chain Reaction for one)

cuties don't exert

11 (edited by meschi 2010-05-24 13:35:49)

Gotta say, I really dig Spotify.
If I want to listen to something a bit more specific, I've got tons of records and IFM to cater for that.
Its great for listening to everything else, as I've mostly always found what Im looking for (mostly because Im not looking for more 'underground' stuff)

plenty of soul, blues, jazz.

ytz: Ive not even thought about searching for most of the stuff you had listed there. Nice to see its in there.

12 (edited by Fossa 2010-05-24 14:27:48)

I'm not sure which i like better, spotify or lastfm.
I've paid several times for lastfm and im trying out the mobile spotify at the moment.

If spotify had the recommendation system as lastfm it would rule.
Or if lastfm would let you play songs easily, it would rule.
Together they would be unstoppable.

Anyways i thought this would be a link sharing thread (it's random media innit?)

Btw there are lots of good stuff on spotify. last fm has more, but here's something
http://open.spotify.com/user/fossadougl … Eh1UqWM6fM

http://fossa.bandcamp.com
Shitting in a lavatory, conducting experiments.
Farticles come near and disappear.

13 (edited by byron 2010-05-24 15:00:26)

ytz wrote:

If I was in my 40s, had a busy life, liked to listen to some tunes now and then... I'd love it. Probably.

lol, thanks for summing my life up so succinctly

btw fossa, i hit the link to your thing above and all i get is my own spotify stuff, can't see your playlist anywhere

keep hackney crap

meschi wrote:

ytz: Ive not even thought about searching for most of the stuff you had listed there. Nice to see its in there.

I found a lot of the stuff from 'related artists'... surprising to find every To Rococo Rot release on there, and some Arovane and .snd, for example!

The search function isn't very good. If you search for 'Prince' you get, like, twenty songs. But if you click on his name/link you get the Prince page where there's every. single. Prince. album! So if you search for something and get one result, that doesn't mean it's the only result. Confusement!

meschi wrote:

Gotta say, I really dig Spotify.
If I want to listen to something a bit more specific, I've got tons of records and IFM to cater for that.
Its great for listening to everything else, as I've mostly always found what Im looking for (mostly because Im not looking for more 'underground' stuff)

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd131/WHATHAPPENED_photo/9604_d788.jpg

cuties don't exert

15 (edited by ytz 2010-05-24 15:24:54)

oh yeah, and they have merzbow. it's a weird and wonderful world in the world of major label distribution!

byron wrote:
ytz wrote:

lol whoops.

should read "If I was in my 20s, had too much spare time on my hands, and obsessed about tunes then I'd love it"

cuties don't exert

ytz wrote:
byron wrote:
ytz wrote:

lol whoops.

should read "If I was in my 20s, had too much spare time on my hands, and obsessed about tunes then I'd love it"

17 (edited by ytz 2010-05-24 18:04:31)

lol @meschi

fossa wrote:

Anyways i thought this would be a link sharing thread (it's random media innit?)

yeah, wouldn't it be great if we used this thread to actually point out things that spotify has that are good? so you don't feel like it's just eminem, metallica and take that with adverts. it would be, like, useful and stuff!

here's one for people in a dark and reflective mood, it's sort of drone-tastic but with lots of nice melodic bits too:

piano magic - popular mechanics
http://open.spotify.com/album/34uttBb9sWhXkd2En3NB2Q

cuties don't exert

byron wrote:

btw fossa, i hit the link to your thing above and all i get is my own spotify stuff, can't see your playlist anywhere

Hm. Weird.
It should. ytz's link worked.
I'll try again http://open.spotify.com/user/fossadougl … Eh1UqWM6fM

http://fossa.bandcamp.com
Shitting in a lavatory, conducting experiments.
Farticles come near and disappear.

problem appears to be at my end. i can't play anyone's links

keep hackney crap

byron wrote:

problem appears to be at my end. i can't play anyone's links

is it yr browser? or does spotify launch and nothing happens?

cuties don't exert

browser displays a play button with the spotify playlist beside it, hit play and then spotify launches but doesn't play or show me the item being linked too. i'll figure it out later when i get a bit more time

keep hackney crap

cosmicdisco.co.uk do the best collaborative spotify playlist imo

http://open.spotify.com/user/cosmicdisc … 39Cw3WE7wD

cuties don't exert

ytz wrote:

Oh how the world spins on, I am that 40 something as I get lazier about tracking/buying new stuff and just listen to Spotify..

I mean its still got some cool stuff like the new Tafkamp

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4GwxugFPFLGMIEF72P7uas

Anyone got any playlist recommendations or anything I should be checking

Let's get Dumb

I don't use it...I use Bandcamp and mixcloud

Bandcamp all the way. I need to download files so I can dj them, I like being offline sometimes...
And if as many people 'd use bandcamp as they use spotify musicians could actually make a living.