Topic: [NYC] Metro Area, Huckaby, the Caretaker, Demdike Stare. Fri. 6/11/10

http://i46.tinypic.com/213rkoz.jpg

$10 before midnight/$20 after

Re: [NYC] Metro Area, Huckaby, the Caretaker, Demdike Stare. Fri. 6/11/10

word.

Just seen some pics of the (Manc) boys in NYC, looks like they're having fun! What a killer lineup, both front and back rooms...do hope this is gonna be one great party...if only I could be there... sad

Reports please! smile

"Fuel critical"...He didn't wanna say 'critical'..."Rog"

this demdike mix is pretty/very good:

http://www.self-titledmag.com/home/2010 … ike-stare/

Metro Area was awesome! They played vinyl and seemed to be making edits on the fly? I'm not sure, was dancing too much. They really surprised me, considering they hadn't played out in so long. Overall, they sounded fresh and exciting smile
Huck was deep and housey and the room was too packed to dance during his set. I'm looking forward to his return to Kiss and Tell on Wednesday night. Dude has a reel-to-reel full of his disco edits at the ready!

The Caretaker had some technical difficulties with a video feed he was going to use during his performance, so that was a bummer and his music was trippy, dark and ambient. I'm not sure how much I liked it or maybe I wasn't in the mood for it. I'd check him out again though. Demdike Stare was awesome, really interesting and dark weird shit--I can't wait to see what these guys come up with in future. MLZ played a varied set of heavy jams and is a top dude who knows a lot about music. People danced their pants off to his set.

And, of course, Plaslaiko at 4am kept me there for another two hours. Derek is a pretty heavy dude and his late night sets often have many unidentifiable (to me) midwest rave freak style acid tracks, not to mention classics like Bobby Konders 'Nervous Acid' and Adonis 'No Way Back'. It was the latter that made me think again about what a great dj he is. Some dj's throw a recognizable and popular classic into a set to pep up a lagging crowd but when Derek plays that kind of track it's just right and the actual meaning of the song becomes clear. Derek handed the decks over to Huckaby about 20 minutes before close, the reverb kicked in again for a rather gentler close of the night.