Topic: CR-78 tempo sync problems

I have borrowed A CR-78 from a friend and i have some problems tempo syncin' it with other drum machine.
I've tried to connect an output from my electribe into the ext sync. It does control the tempo but the beat from the CR-78 changes completely. fx. the BD dissapear and HH is kinda overlaying each other. Is it not possible to keep the CR-78 beat by doing what i'm doing? I don't any experience with syncing without midi, so help would be much appriciated.

Dancin' for freaks and fame!

Re: CR-78 tempo sync problems

nixxon wrote:

I have borrowed A CR-78 from a friend and i have some problems tempo syncin' it with other drum machine.
I've tried to connect an output from my electribe into the ext sync. It does control the tempo but the beat from the CR-78 changes completely. fx. the BD dissapear and HH is kinda overlaying each other. Is it not possible to keep the CR-78 beat by doing what i'm doing? I don't any experience with syncing without midi, so help would be much appriciated.

but do you use a sync-convertor because the CR78 doesnt understand MIDI without modifications.

maybe thsi can help you: http://www.submodern.com/slowburn/?p=608

TB or not TB

3 (edited by nixxon 2008-08-07 19:38:25)

yes i have looked at that, but that's more of a programming thing.
I don't use any midi, but just sending a sound wave (in this case a BD) into the ext. sync and it works tempo wise but my problem is the CR-78 change the beat completely

edit: i don't have a sync converter, but maybe thats what i need anyway

nixxon wrote:

yes i have looked at that, but that's more of a programming thing.
I don't use any midi, but just sending a sound wave (in this case a BD) into the ext. sync and it works tempo wise but my problem is the CR-78 change the beat completely

edit: i don't have a sync converter, but maybe thats what i need anyway

can you upload an example of how the error sounds?

and have you tried other triggers, like a loud rim/clave, (short)snare or closed hihat?

I own a CR78 with midi-mod but never tried anything else so Ive never experienced such a problem...

TB or not TB

5 (edited by nixxon 2008-08-07 21:12:38)

ok here it is
http://www.seducers.dk/cr78_sync_test.wav

1. no sync only cr-78
2. sync with loud congas
3. sync with loud BD
4. sync with loud CH

I've also tried with every other drum sound and all sounds different

edit: the sync programming is just xoxoxoxo

6 (edited by INTERFUNK 2008-08-07 22:13:36)

it

Orgel!

thanks for the info.
i will see if i can get something usefull working with the congas.
so if i get a MIDI sync converter, it should do the job right?

8 (edited by jayoverdose 2008-08-08 00:49:02)

with the bassdrum it just seems to be running double tempo, so program the bassdrum at half tempo.
or put the other drumcomputer on half tempo, and the timescaling up so you can make fast beats again.

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

9 (edited by nixxon 2008-08-08 01:02:26)

yeah i know, but no matter what i do the 78 wont play the OH and the most of the perc. And the power from the BD also seems to dissapear. i just don't understand why it doesn't sound as ex.1 with no sync.

edit: but seems like interfunk says it's just not getting enough voltage

nixxon wrote:

thanks for the info.
i will see if i can get something usefull working with the congas.
so if i get a MIDI sync converter, it should do the job right?

I guess a sync-convertor wont work because you need single triggers to trigger each step...
(instead of a 24/48sync + start/stop signals)

I can send you a trigger sample tomorrow if you like (if I have time to record some)...

TB or not TB

yes please do, that would be great and thank you

12 (edited by Freek 2008-08-08 01:22:46)

nixxon wrote:

yeah i know, but no matter what i do the 78 wont play the OH and the most of the perc. And the power from the BD also seems to dissapear. i just don't understand why it doesn't sound as ex.1 with no sync.

edit: but seems like interfunk says it's just not getting enough voltage

maybe the open hi-hat closes again with each next trigger or closed hi-hat.
Because maybe the internal clock works different than when its triggered with external (step)triggers...

I assume that it runs on 24ppq because thats what it can send as trigger-out, but maybe the creators thought that a simple trigger-in was more handy at the time..

TB or not TB

13 (edited by coinop 2008-08-08 03:31:46)

Freek wrote:

I assume that it runs on 24ppq because thats what it can send as trigger-out, but maybe the creators thought that a simple trigger-in was more handy at the time..

I do believe it's 12ppq.

"By supplying clock of 48 counts per measure to the CR78 from an external source the CR78 will be completely synchronized to it."  According to the manual.

So, theoretically if you programmed some 16th note triplets, you'd be in sync.   But I've got a Kenton to convert to sync and I'm too old for that shit, so for me it'll remain just a theory.

Also, Interfunk is spot on with the voltage.  It take +5 to +15, pw 5ms.