1 (edited by Aftering 2010-06-02 13:28:25)

Topic: JERRY MOON - The interview (Italo Disco)

Hi guys,

As I'm in contact with Renato Rovetta (Jerry Moon) lately I thought it could be nice to do an interview with him and share it.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3241/jmaspx.jpg

Ciao Renato,

I am very honored to do this interview with you. Many people, myself included, love your song called "Over and Over". It's mythic for many Italo lovers and collectors all over the world. Unfortunately we don’t know much about you as a person and musician. So let’s have a little chat about life and music:

We all know you by your Artist name "Jerry Moon". I always thought it was a beautiful sounding artist name, very unique and kind of sweet. Where did you got your inspiration for it?

JM: Compliments are always nice, thank you. I can tell you that “Jerry Moon” was born in 1980 when I signed a contract with the most popular Radio station at that time called “Blue Lake Sound”. Me and my group, the Skinners, soon recorded our first record. No much time after that the direction of the Radio asked me to work as a speaker on there radio. Naturally I needed a character, an Artist name which “sounded nice”. I thought about it and during a meeting I asked everybody in the room to call me by different names. When “Jerry” felt, I looked and said: OK, this will be my name.. From that day on, the name began to take it’s first steps.

When did you actually got introduced in the music business? Do you have some memories about those days?

JM: Well it was in 1979 with my group, The Skinners. We wrote some songs and took part on a competition, something like you see today on TV, and we won it! After that we soon recorded our first album, the music was "Ska Music", and began a mini-tour with the concerts. Then came some other songs and again some touring..

…Ska Music? Well, that’s interesting! The predilection for dance was already there. How did you actually got involved into the Disco dance music, the genre we later like to call "Italo Disco"?  Was it true passion or more a matter of better opportunities?

JM: At the same period in 1980 when I signed the contract with Blue Lake Sound, I also signed a DJ gig in one of the most famous nightclubs of that moment, "The Triangle". It was at that time that I met some other musicians and we began to write and invent Italian Dance music. But back then we absolutely didn’t knew or even dreamed of the fact that we were writing an important page in the “Disco” world history.

Do you have some memories of people helping you start your career?

JM: Yes, one of the most important persons who always told me to continue was Rino Denti, the Boss of the Triangle, but also the producer of "Over and Over”.  I also remember  Massimo Pellegrini and Manlio Cangelli, also the first percussionist and keyboardist of great artists like Ami Stewart.

1983 was sort of a special year in Italian Dance/Disco. It 'was like a crossover year in a sense, from the early sound of Italo Disco to a more modern and commercial way of producing disco. How do you feel about it? What was the reason for this change in your opinion?

JM: Well, I remember that people, the boys, wanted to hear something light, Easy, to enjoy dancing, with just a chorus, and some arrangement. At that period I remember the new sounds that were never heard before. Those from very innovative keyboards..

Did you got inspired by some artists back then?

JM: I don’t think so. I've always done what was good for me, what I had in mind.

How was the Disco scene in Italy back then? Did you think music changed a lot since?

JM: The disco was playing Earth Wind & Fire but also with Leo Sayer’s “Thunder in my heart”, or Donna Summer and Chic with Nile Rogers and Bernard Edwards, but also Trammps, Bee Gees, etc

The music has evolved, but I do not think there is a lot of new creation

"Over and Over" was a true masterpiece in my opinion! It was officially released in 1984 on Blue Productions. Can you tell us some of your memories about your song, maybe some unknown facts for us?

JM: I can say that “Over and Over" was a real story at that time for me. Because I had to leave for Military Service and the song was ready and booked for the recording studio. So it was Rino Denti with Manlio Cangelli who prepared all the sounds and the keyboards. And then also the sax notes for the great jazz man, Tino Tracanna. Only my words to sing were missing, so I made up an excuse for the military hospital and a few days later I was in the recording studio to record.  But honestly, I was terrified of being discovered and you have no idea what went through my mind when TV took over the show where I sang Over and Over… Always thinking what would happen if I was seen by the military captain...

Haha.. Guess the military service would have been a little more "sweaty" for you if he saw this TV broadcast..  lol
Do you still remember how the idea came for the song and the lyrics? Your inspiration?

JM: It came all by accident. I was thinking around the bottom, and the chorus. After that I heard the keyboard player who developed the idea down the battery, then the basics for keyboards... so the piece was born.

You also worked on other project such as ‘Ella Morris’ and later on also ‘Miami’. Can you tell us something more about those projects?

JM: About Ella Morris I remember we were recording a song for Francesco Del Vecchio in a recording studio in Vicenza, and I listened to the ideas of a pieces that the producer had. He was very involved. “No Love” was a song that we recorded with  Ella Morris a few months later.

I also remember that in a restaurant near the studio I proposed to eat the typical 'pasta with hare sauce', the day after we were told that half of the musicians had been ill all night long...

With Miami, in 1988 you did a fantastic song called "Red Shoes." Unfortunately it is a fairly unknown song for many people today. It would be really nice if you can give us some information and your feelings about this production? Who did the vocals on that vinyl of Miami? And why did you choose 'Upstart Records' to release it?

JM: I sang the vocals myself with some free interpretation of the English language, because the musician was playing like that. “Red Shoes” was born mainly in collaboration with Sergio Bonzanni. But unfortunately I only had the time to record the voice in Sergio’s room because at that period I had to leave the country for the Club Mediterranee as J.O.  As I didn’t want to miss this occasion, I left it all in the hands of Sergio. Then we sadly lost touch because I worked first in Greece, then in Mexico, then returned to Paris and spread to other areas… There were 2 versions of “Red Shoes”. The one that came out on UPSTART was with another vocalist. I don’t know his name, but Sergio kept the recording version with my vocals.

It’s actually lately, after nearly thirty years, that I’m back in contact with Sergio Bonzanni thanks to Facebook. Then came also Manlio Cangelli, and Rino Denti. I immediately asked Sergio if he still had a copy of Red Shoes, and it’s almost by accident that the songs “Red Shoes” & “Over and Over” could be republished again thanks to him. “Red Shoes” with my own vocals, which was never officially released before... I must say, I’m now very happy and also a little excited about this..

Well as you know I’m also very excited about it. It’s an amazing version!

It's always interesting to get a little 'atmosphere of the 80's. Although it is a long time ago, those years always feed our imagination when it comes to music and especially the dance scene. Talking about that, what are your personal memories preserved from that period?

JM: I remember the first song that really “banged” the radio station, Barry White’s “Let The Music Play”. That was huge!

Everything was so simple back then, the world was changing, evolving… The Cold War ended, Gorbachev and Ronald Reagan appeared to us like old friends...

Our Radio was a Provincial Radio station. But perhaps this gave us a greater advantage than the broadcasters who were born in the big city of Milan. I remember, there were already a dozen free Radios there.

Since we were situated near the lake, people could hear our radio from the city to the valleys, and for us it was a triumph of plays. Interviews with international personalities like Joe Jackson, Ami Stewart, Jim Capaldi, etc.. Also remember, it was a day in December when they shot John Lennon, and the radio passed his songs throughout the day, his own ones and those with the Beatles.. That was our world!

Then in 1982 the most magical night of my life, Italy wins the World Cup Football (soccer)!

The party, the Spliff Carbonara and a Coca-Cola with Righeira’s “Vamos a la playa” on the background. Those magic moments, the adrenaline going up by being on the microphone to tell people sensations, strong ideas and feelings,…

For years we had exploded the "Italian Dance" with Gazebo’s Masterpiece, Easy Lady of Spain and even P. Lion, Den Harrow. And finally, my first solo album, Over and Over and then as you know Red Shoes.

Those were our days, living, good and intense.. Certainly we did not realize this till we were all over our twenties, and that the Radio was really a piece of our lives.

Really nice to read those memories Renato! Thanks for sharing this with us.

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/2229/getattachmentaspxmrs.jpg

How did the years passed since then for you? Is Italo Disco still a part of your life?

JM: Since 1992 I started writing, as a journalist, and over time I have cultivated a passion for wine. I’m now a professional sommelier and I deal with Wine Dining, collaborating with a magazine of Sommellerie Professionals, and 4 other newsrooms Online..

But when there are 80’s Party’s there is always an invitation for Jerry Moon, I like it, and I still enjoy it as before ...

Interesting! The passion for wine took you a step further into it. What is a day in the life of Jerry Moon like today? Still some interest in the music?

JM: I write and I deal with wine, but when I see the chance to go back to the radio, I go, so I have a weekly program called Music & Wine, where I present the Italian and international wines combined with a piece Music, usually 80’s style.

Talking about Italo Disco, as in every interview I like to ask the favorite 80’s songs? Your personal top 5 songs? And maybe some of your favorite artists outside Italo? Other music styles?

JM: Definitely my favorite artist has always been Barry White, but in times I like it soft, like Sade.

About other productions I like very much the Motown Records, I love the sound of soul. Also have a wonderful memory of the Salsoul Records and a record of The Love Committee “Low and Order”

Ranking five Italo Disco songs is difficult, but I could say: Den Harrow - Mad Desire, P. Lion - Happy Children, Kano, Tom Hooker, Gazebo, Righeira, Savage, etc..

Guess we must have the same musical taste. I personally love Salsoul Records! Tons of great records came out on that label. That makes me wonder, did you ever tried to make some other music than Disco/dance yourself?

JM: Yes I played and sang in the Piano Bar, in my repertoire I had wax music of Paolo Conte and Fred Buscaglione, a great Italian character of the '60s

About producing and writing music. Some say it’s a gift, and others thinks it’s a learning process of developing the skills to really hear the music better .. How do you think about this?

JM: I think it's a gift, knowing how to write is a gift, knowing how to invent songs also..

It seems that over the years, the Italo Disco genre always maintained a good fangroup. Especially with the ease of the Internet more people are aware of this genre around the world and begin to appreciate it, even 25 years later. Do you think Italo Disco will ever have a come back in some way?

JM: I do not believe. I think it lasted a long time, nearly 10 years after it’s end.. But I also think it should remain like this, it's simply the best.

When you look back, did you have some regrets or maybe some things you would change?

JM: No, no regrets at all, I really enjoyed every moment. Perhaps I would have married myself, but maybe not...

Renato, finally, do you have any message for your fans around the world?

JM: It would be nice to start a big tour around Europe, to salute once again all the friends and sing the songs that made the 80’s great

Thank you very much for this nice talk Renato!

A presto amico!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG_0QmmqlUE[/youtube]

Real gold cannot be seen or even touched, it has to be listened & felt with the heart..

Re: JERRY MOON - The interview (Italo Disco)

Thanks for this. Really interesting stuff. Would you be opposed to us rehosting this provided we link back to yourself and give you full credit?

x

3 (edited by Aftering 2010-06-02 16:05:32)

Mm, think I don't really understand your question?  Rehosting a provided we link?

Real gold cannot be seen or even touched, it has to be listened & felt with the heart..

I'm saying we put the interview up on our site, and then provide a link back to your site or to you personally so that you get the credit you deserve.

Interesting read. Thanks! How did you get in contact with him if I may ask?

"Are you loving?"

Through my good friend Sergio (Bonzanni)  wink

7 (edited by Aftering 2010-06-02 20:04:48)

niles wrote:

I'm saying we put the interview up on our site, and then provide a link back to your site or to you personally so that you get the credit you deserve.

Well yes, that could be possible.. I think we better discuss this further in Personal Mail (PM).. Have made some other interviews also  wink

8 (edited by Scarface 2010-06-02 23:20:57)

Aftering wrote:

That's cool! The man who, amongst other things, sang Trilogy's - Black Devil and co-wrote Sensitive's - Don't Stop+Give Me. http://www.discogs.com/artist/Sergio+Bonzanni?noanv=1

"Are you loving?"

Seems like most of the italo guys didn't really follow the rest of the italo music being released... I mean his favorite italo that he listed was pretty popular/well known.  Can I make this generalization?  Maybe that's why everything sounded so fresh?  Cause they weren't conforming to a certain style, just doing their own ideas of disco?  Maybe that's a stretch...

Scarface wrote:
Aftering wrote:

That's cool! The man who, amongst other things, sang Trilogy's - Black Devil and co-wrote Sensitive's - Don't Stop+Give Me. http://www.discogs.com/artist/Sergio+Bonzanni?noanv=1

Yes, that Sergio. In fact he wasn't just co-writing, he was full member of Sensitive together with Salvatore Pileggi (vocalist) and Gigi (Vavassori) wink

11 (edited by Aftering 2010-06-03 10:54:10)

@ Mushaden

Guess this comes because the more popular artists had more airplay on the radio in Italy and some other countries. Most of Italo producers were youngsters near the age of 20 wanting to become famous!! Same as the more wellknown artists like Den Harrow, P Lion, etc. who had already achieved this...  A lot of those known artists had also there origin near or in Bergamo, a village near Milan, the place where a lot happened concerning Italo Disco, and so they knew each other pretty well. A lot of 'friends next door' became kind of famous.. They all were in contact with the major labels that were situated also in that area, like Discomagic, Il Discotto, etc..  When you go to Rome for exemple, there was also Italo made but that sounded little different and I guess also lesser known for the people in the North, near Milan.

The difference of being a producer from that period or a music collector is pretty big I guess. There was no internet, just radio, television and your personal contacts. Producers were more busy with making music rather then collecting it like us today or even back then. Wich is obviously a big difference in the knowledge of all the different records.

As a collector you know all the songs and info from certain producers and labels, but as a producer back then I guess you were just sitting on a table dining with those other collegue producers and talking about girls, vocalists, synths, fame and pleasures of live...

Another thing, today with internet and the eazyness of finding every possible record that was released, we sometimes have some difficulties to remember that in the 80's it wasn't like that. Back then, in those FEW years Italo was hot, there were tons of records released every week! Impossible to follow them all.
Many, many records wich we think are masterpieces today, were only sold a very few back then. Sometimes maybe 30 of 40 from a record or even less. A lot of masterpieces were NOT hot back then, people don't even looked at them.. Like "Sensitve - Driving" for exemple, wich was a disaster in the charts, and so many many others.. It may also be the reason why the producers from the 80's don't remember the holy grails of today which had no airplay at all back then.

Aftering wrote:
Scarface wrote:
Aftering wrote:

Yes, that Sergio. In fact he wasn't just co-writing, he was full member of Sensitive together with Salvatore Pileggi (vocalist) and Gigi (Vavassori) wink

That's even cooler. wink

"Are you loving?"

Thanks Aftering, I guess it's easy to forget the impact of the internet

Aftering wrote:

today with internet and the eazyness of finding every possible record that was released, we sometimes have some difficulties to remember that in the 80's it wasn't like that. Back then, in those FEW years Italo was hot, there were tons of records released every week! Impossible to follow them all.
Many, many records wich we think are masterpieces today, were only sold a very few back then. Sometimes maybe 30 of 40 from a record or even less. A lot of masterpieces were NOT hot back then, people don't even looked at them.. Like "Sensitve - Driving" for exemple, wich was a disaster in the charts, and so many many others.. It may also be the reason why the producers from the 80's don't remember the holy grails of today which had no airplay at all back then.

Sooo true!!!

Thanks for this great interview!

The world is Fluffy!

Yes!!!! I'm on new medication!

With pleasure  wink