Topic: Health and Fitness

ok, Ive been running pretty solid for the last 2 months, and yesterday signed up to my first 10k, which is 76 days away...
I got myself some really good shoes a few days ago and the difference is immense:

http://img.runningwarehouse.com/blog/asics16.jpg

Im having a program put together by my old flat mate, she is a pilates teacher and all round fitness guru, so she's going to help me train...

I know Jacderida is setting himself up for a 10k on the same day as me and STENTEC is out rollerblading, gyming and cycling but any other robots looking to get fit and be healthy, doing any marathons, 10ks, triathlons? or is it just us?

Re: Health and Fitness

I havent managed ay sport or swimming in about three months and its killing me. Got a weird hip and kee problem. The difference excercise regularly makes is amazing. Keeps you focused. Good luck with the training.

Sadly masterbating isnt considered excercise.  sad

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of whats really going on.

this saturday night i am riding the dunwich dynamo. thats 200kms from london to the suffolk coast.
i look forward to this all year and am now as excited as a kid on christmas eve

starting off in london fields, hackney
http://londonist.com/attachments/pfog/DunDyn09b.JPG

getting to the beach for sunrise rocks
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2520/3691120834_dc8ef85b40.jpg

keep hackney crap

wow byron... looks awesome! mind and get some photos!

I play squash and ride a racebike. But that is because I like doing it (well, the Squash more than the biking). I would'nt be doing any sports if didn't enjoy it. Running, to me, is a mystery why someone would do it. I tried it a couple of times and it was pure horror.

to be fair man, I never quite got it until I battered through a few months of it. Im getting a lot of benefit out of it, I can feel myself getting much much fitter all the time... now Im kinda hooked on it.

I only practiced martial arts since the age of 16.
Running long distances may give you a nice 'runners high' but in the end you kill your knees, but that only shows when you're getting old. So I dont advice training for maratons or anything like that. But anyway, if you do... make sure you try to eat VERY healthy and get a massive amount of vitamins & minerals daily cause you need em. Hopefully you have some left in your body to provide your own self-healing-mechanism and fight off any occasional disease (flu, or whatever) cause being 'healthy' and fit doesnt mean you are immune.
I know enough healthy fit people who are getting sick easily cause they wear themselves out...

Strictly Rockaas

awesome - this thread is overdue!

i was out for a 40 minute run last night and done 7.3k. it was quite tough cause of how humid it is up here (with hardly any breeze at all). that must be well worse down in london smile.

got 7 weeks to improve on that now. i was aiming to break an hour but i think i might try and improve that goal.

@byron - looks like it'll be amazing. i was big into cycling a couple of years ago, but then my bike got stolen! (was a good bike too, worth about 500/600 quid) i prefer running now as sometimes the amount of maintenance i had to do to my bike annoyed me a bit.

maximal - it makes you feel good after it and you also get to set yourself challenges to improve, so it does actually become fun smile. also, as meschi says, you start getting addicted to it.

Obi1r wrote:

Running long distances may give you a nice 'runners high' but in the end you kill your knees, but that only shows when you're getting old. So I dont advice training for maratons or anything like that.

true, but i guess you need to take it on a case by case basis. my dad has been running since his teens and is now in his 50s, and he still runs without problems. he's also done a marathon before.

i have MAJOR repsect for anybody who could get fit enough to run a marathon. i dunno if i could ever do it though, it seems you would have to sacrifice a bit too much of your life towards getting fit in order to be able to do it...

So you guys new drugs is the runners high, ey?

That effect is also a bit noticable on the bike but biking actually gets you somewhere geographically - that's why I like biking more. You can actually discover some nice places when you do 50km+ rides. And it is better for the knees. Only shit thing is the posture on a proper racer; that takes some practice to be able to do for hours at a time and it's never really comfortable. But hey no pain no gain.

Yeah, the humidity down here is a killer just now.

Obi1r - Youre totally right with the vitamins etc etc. After my heavy run yesterday I developed serious flu like symptons, sore head, aching joints, sore throat etc etc... I need to up my intake of decent scran and vitamins...

i've done few marathons years back. enjoyed it a lot when i used to train harder. such a great feeling to go for a run and be able to keep going for three hours or so. had to give up few parties for shure but all in all its good fun. just remember to have enough variation in your training to keep it interesting and healthy.

last few years i've just tried to keep some what fit with little running and kettlebell training. i think i need to excercise at least once a week just to ventilate my head...
now looking to buy a race bike, seems interesting and might create good opportunies for some bromancing too.

i hear you

Bromancing in tights YEAH!

meschi wrote:

Obi1r - Youre totally right with the vitamins etc etc. After my heavy run yesterday I developed serious flu like symptons, sore head, aching joints, sore throat etc etc... I need to up my intake of decent scran and vitamins...

Yeah take good care of yourself, although we are robots we still suffer organic symptoms. Personally I am convinced for some time now, that the intake of food supplements are definately needed. But the're is a lot of variety... take the ones that are natural (mostly they dont coma as a pill) so look out for the fluid ones. Those go into your veins very quick, if you know what I mean.
If you are interested, try to get hold of this interesting documentary called 'Food Matters'. Its not about food suplements, but about what is going on nowadays in the food industry, and why a lots of people suffer from chronic deseases (like diabetes and the like) and docters cannot cure them.

Strictly Rockaas

Vitamins can fuck you up, acid reflux style.

Better to just eat well. I know that sucks and takes effort.

cuties don't exert

I used to run in high school.  I'm glad I did, but now I just do elliptical machines... it's much easier on the body, and I can listen to IFM smile.  I also used to lift, but I stopped after I hurt my back.  It seems like it's impossible for me to bulk up anyways.  I like cycling, but I'm too lazy to set aside the time, and there aren't many places I can ride without driving first.

Obi1r wrote:

I only practiced martial arts since the age of 16.

weird, jamaican music and martial arts. i like roots and taekwando.
you like dub and ... (am guessing ) Wadōryū?

i used to run alot lads, over the years its a killer on the joints, ankles, knees and hips.
cycling though, take the best orgasm you've ever had... multiply it by a thousand, and you're still nowhere near it

keep hackney crap

push up program

sit up program

19 (edited by ytz 2010-07-21 21:01:00)

i've been weight training for a while now. out a friend's garage in the suburbs. great fun in the hot weather!

also interested in boxing. anybody want a fight?

cuties don't exert

ytz; vitamins dont fuck you up, they are essential. If vitamins come inna natural way they cannot harm you. Only docters say you dont need extra vitamins, but what do they know about food nowadays? They dont learn anything no more about food, instead they give you pills, and a half year later you find yourself again at the doorstep of your doctor with the same problems.

Byron, yeah I'm full with contradictions... I started with Kyokushinkai Karate and quit that after 4 years, cause I am not interested in building up stamina & keeping fit. I am more attracted to longer term goals like perfecting fast moves and train piece of mind in all situations, cause these things can really save you in extreme conditions.
Now I did more than 15 yrs training in Aikido, and here I found my way. It is maybe one of the most difficult martial arts and takes lots of years practice before you can say 'I am convinced now I really can do something'. Also you dont need to train stamina, instead you learn to breathe right, while being active all the time, and be thrown around- or throw someone else yourself. So in Aikido there's a lot of stretching and you learn to break your fall intensely (and don't underestimate this, falling is the most scary and unnatural act there is for us).
Watching an Aikido demonstration may seem thought-out artificial and well goreographed, but its not.
Its because the Japanese have a tradional way of training, simply because you cannot just do throwing techniques on someone who does not know how to fall, after 2 times you just dont stand up anymore.
These guys in Aikido demonstrations break their fall perfectly and are very fast, so it only seems like nice moving around or dancing if you will...
Try it and take a first lesson, hardly recommended!

Short demonstration:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicHsMC6rxM[/youtube]

With the sword & barehands afterwards:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL9qSMTlqFU[/youtube]

Strictly Rockaas

Mr. Maximal wrote:

Bromancing in tights YEAH!

lol thats when you know its serious!

i hear you

I'm back in the game, after 12 years of doing fuck all ....i attended martial arts constantly until i was 21(judo & kung-fu) life/partying & shit took over & now sadly regret letting myself fall away, because it was smth i was actually good at ..semi-contact fighting, forms.etc

Past 6 weeks i've been training at Kuk Sool Won classes, joint-locks, pressure points are brutal..but it;s always fun to have your opponent wincing & tapping out of a lock big_smile Hoping that over the coming months/years i can get my flexiblity & strength back and do some contact sparring again.

I aint sweated like this for a long time...horse stancing like a mother fucker smile

Let's get Dumb

I went swimming once about two months ago. I managed 5 lengths front crawl and got seriously out of breath and developed an overwhelming headache due to a lack of oxygen in me body.  I then left about 20 minutes after I got into the pool, got changed and walked out the emergency exit by accident setting off the fire alarm.  After a seconds deliberation I decided to leg it.

^^ classic

cuties don't exert

ob1

what vitamins you recommend?

always mistrusted those things

cuties don't exert