Re: Health and Fitness

i really like running up stairs as corny as it might sound, i like the bounch kinda feel when leaping on them, and power walks, but only when i am in hurry. So this is  how i work, i exercise best in stress, when i am in gym its a fight against the clock, i work an hour with most equipments, one set legs, one set biceps, one set legs, one biceps etc with minimal break. Bicycling between home and work, motivation: saving couple bucks and it gotta go fast, i don't want to waste my "free" time.
The big issue is that my free time isn´t quality time and I haven´t got a clue why i am in such a hurry. I think I romanticize the thought of free time.

ytz wrote:

i've been weight training for a while now. out a friend's garage in the suburbs. great fun in the hot weather!

also interested in boxing. anybody want a fight?

We could bareknuckle it out one day after a couple of beers or something. Mind you, I'm 6ft3 and weak as jelly!

Lovin all you fighting robots. Im terrible. I flirt with all sports..running, yoga, cycling, boxin, weights, swimming..reckon its because i was a child slave to basketball so high metabolism and im conditioned to wanna be fit tongue

@Mr Maximal - what is "bromancing" (in tights)?  big_smile

@Obi1r - ive never been convinced by vitamins over eating well..got an example? Also a link to the documentary would be ace, im really interested in nutritcion - not obsessively more in a mother earth kinda way.

@ytz - "i've been weight training for a while now. out a friend's garage in the suburbs.."  sounds so dodgy!!  lol

@jap-the-lad - funny story should be in curb/larry david thread. dip that toe back in the water  wink

@jacderida - thought you werent supposed to run the entire distance you are training for till race day? are you interval training?

kara, in all honesty i don't really know much about how to train properly for it. it just seemed to make sense to me that you would be able to run 10 before actually doing it. or is that not the case?

any tips are welcome smile.

and nah, no interval training, don't think i'm fit enough for that yet smile.

Kara:

http://www.flandersfietsen.be/images/kledij/broek-f.jpg

X2

haha lol

32 (edited by Obi1r 2010-07-22 18:20:37)

ytz, good question. Basic rule is; stay away from the synthetic ones (the pills). Pills are the chemical version of the original, and you dont need more chemicals into your body because you'll get enough of them through food (E numbers, preservatives, coloring etc.) Choose the natural variety, preferably the liquid ones, they help you to detox those chemicals out of your body and give you the natural vitamins & minerals. So fresh fruit is best, try to get them as fresh as you can... those have the most nutrition value.
There are a couple of interesting (liquid) food suplements on the market now, although those are not the cheapest. But hey, this is an investment for yourself. The most stupid thing man can do is to get your food as cheap as possible.

Karamanga, you have never been convinced by vitamins over eating well. Basicly you are right, but the thing is we live in a time where the food industry is about making money and your health is not priority. Vegetables and fruit that should be fresh now are transported from anywhere that takes weeks or months, are stored for long time. Then the way they are grown, too fast, day and night with chemical fertilizers. So if you are lucky, the food you eat only contains 40% nutrition value. Unless you are willing to get them from the land, or biological food store. Now I just give a short summary, but this brilliant documentary Food Matters is much more complete. You can order a DVD at http://www.foodmatters.tv/  but at first I found it elsewhere before I got the official one wink
The makers here explain pretty clear what the documentary is about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2YUmYRhZL4

One more thing, a study showed that only 1% of the Japanese women develop breast cancer in their lives, against 13% of the American women.
I believe the Japanese have one of most healthy cuisines in the world... fresh fish everyday, and veggies (lots of them raw) I bet they dont have much diabetes as well.
You can say, I am young & strong I wont develop diabetes or something chronical... but take care what you eat. Cause over a longer period of time- say 10 to 20 years- you gotta pay the bill for it. No one can tell from what you gonna suffer cause that is totally dependent of (a lot of factors) like your build, constitution and strength... and what you have been nourishing.

Strictly Rockaas

Kara; eat consciously, you dont have to work-out. A daily firm, one hour walk is all it takes.
You pretty much develop your body as Mr. Maximal's post

Strictly Rockaas

Obi1r wrote:

Kara; eat consciously, you dont have to work-out. A daily firm, one hour walk is all it takes.
You pretty much develop your body as Mr. Maximal's post

That would be awkward for a girl.

important topic!
i was playing football for sometime, nothing pro, it was more running around the ball, but i quiet after i broke my hand (it was few years ago).
now i'm cycling, again nothing serious or pro.
because i'm sitting most of the days in front of computer i have to workout a little, so i'm trying to wake up early enough to have 40-60 minutes of cycling at the seashore. but i don't feel i'm getting fitter or anything.

@kara

any gyms locally would be dodgier... there's no steroids involved this way.

weight training is pretty dodgy in general, tho - couldn't hold a book or a pen for a day after forearm training  hmm

cuties don't exert

quit smoking last week after 16 years

i went to a hypnotist and its done the trick

ramos wrote:

quit smoking last week after 16 years

well done matey! my lungs are the only thing in/on my body getting daily exercise, and not the good kind.

well, maybe the abdominal muscles, from coughing..

last time i went running a couple years ago, I had some serious chest pains after about a good half mile, and an odd tingling sensation in my left arm. gave up running as a whole after that. I'm still a very good sprinter though (100m max.) after that i would need an iv.

besides a bit of sporadic summer evening football, and walking to my train, no exercise worth mentioning.

@ obi: you got a trainer called 'de gruijter' (paul) by any chance?

Zubeldia, I don't know him. I practice Aikido in Rotterdam and I used to go to 1 or 2 summerschools either in Holland or England or where I could find interesting teachers.
But following classes from Japanese teachers who come to Rotterdam are really interesting...

Strictly Rockaas

40 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2010-07-22 16:00:38)

If rehabilitation (is this the right word in English?)from a knee fracture counts as sport then I'm a freak too I guess. It's been 6 months now since I started my training program (3 hours a day). 1,5 years ago my meniscus from my right knee was torn + my cruciate ligament and a fracture of my cartilage (this can not be cured). This happened during a game of volley-ball. I had 3 surgeries (because my left knee got overcharged during my first phase of recovery)and since 6 months I started to train again to recover. I'll never be able to run again (this is extremely bad for the knees), I'll only be able to walk and cycle again. Since 2 months I can cycle 3x 30 minutes every day. That's not much but for me it's very hard. Next to that I have to do specific exercises every 1,5 hours in order to get strengt, muscles and force again around my knees. These are very simple exercises if your knees are ok but for me they're pretty heavy (and very boring).

As Obi1r says: vitamines are necessary but avoid chemical stuff, I only take natural products like magnesium, natural products to heal my tendons (in my case this is very important)and cartilage. I also take creatine, this helps to develop the muscels but these are NOT steroids  smile And I refuse to take any pain reliever (that's the poison). And the most important: food! That's a difficult part for me because normally I only eat once a day but now I have to eat something every 2 hours.

The most difficult part in the healing process for me is to walk. It sounds stupid but this is the most painful part for me, I still need a lot of training to get my power back (cycling helps a lot to get back strenght). I have to wear a brace when I walk and I need a crutch when I go outside for longer than an hour.

I used to do a lot of sport before my knee got shredded: volley-ball (extremely bad for the knees), cycling and running. When I'll be recovered again I will only be able to cycle again but that's my favourite sport anyway.

"A Real Music Hater"

I haven't done any physically challenging activities for years, simply hate sports. But I'm tired of running out of breath after a 50 dash for the bus, so I'm trying to find something that will suit me. I have an ultra-light physique, and long fibrous muscles (although underdeveloped), so I'm thinking of taking up climbing. It was the only sport in school I did not come last in, instead came out on top.

Other than that, I'm thinking of following in BMX's footprints and getting an exercise bike so I can watch movies while working out. Any tips on what I should be looking for?

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

normally I only eat once a day but now I have to eat something every 2 hours.

coffee and a cookie?  wink

Zubeldia wrote:
Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

normally I only eat once a day but now I have to eat something every 2 hours.

coffee and a cookie?  wink

hehe, not anymore  big_smile  A lot of fruit but also a lot meat.

"A Real Music Hater"

wow Ray, that must be horrible! Especially for someone who likes sport so much..  hmm

Real gold cannot be seen or even touched, it has to be listened & felt with the heart..

Ray, you can strenghten your joints (knees) also with Floradix, comes as liquid but also pills and 100% natural. Check those out. Here's a online shop (Dutch)  where once inna while I order things: http://www.vitatheek.nl/product/floradi … alus_500ml
Btw, the best & strongest natural food supplement- as far as I know- is Jús, containing 23 superfruits. Pretty much saved me a few years ago.

Strictly Rockaas

I forgot to mention that I do some yoga.  If you find a class/regimen that isn't too strenuous and works for you, yoga feels very good.  You will always feel good and energized after about an hour of yoga.  Highly recommended.

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

If rehabilitation (is this the right word in English?)from a knee fracture counts as sport then I'm a freak too I guess. It's been 6 months now since I started my training program (3 hours a day). 1,5 years ago my meniscus from my right knee was torn + my cruciate ligament and a fracture of my cartilage (this can not be cured). This happened during a game of volley-ball. I had 3 surgeries (because my left knee got overcharged during my first phase of recovery)and since 6 months I started to train again to recover. I'll never be able to run again (this is extremely bad for the knees), I'll only be able to walk and cycle again. Since 2 months I can cycle 3x 30 minutes every day. That's not much but for me it's very hard. Next to that I have to do specific exercises every 1,5 hours in order to get strengt, muscles and force again around my knees. These are very simple exercises if your knees are ok but for me they're pretty heavy (and very boring).

As Obi1r says: vitamines are necessary but avoid chemical stuff, I only take natural products like magnesium, natural products to heal my tendons (in my case this is very important)and cartilage. I also take creatine, this helps to develop the muscels but these are NOT steroids  smile And I refuse to take any pain reliever (that's the poison). And the most important: food! That's a difficult part for me because normally I only eat once a day but now I have to eat something every 2 hours.

The most difficult part in the healing process for me is to walk. It sounds stupid but this is the most painful part for me, I still need a lot of training to get my power back (cycling helps a lot to get back strenght). I have to wear a brace when I walk and I need a crutch when I go outside for longer than an hour.

I used to do a lot of sport before my knee got shredded: volley-ball (extremely bad for the knees), cycling and running. When I'll be recovered again I will only be able to cycle again but that's my favourite sport anyway.

Horror story, Ray, hope it gets better. Maar wel een echte vlaming met fietsen als no1 sport!

I'm just training for a triathalon

Obi1r wrote:
meschi wrote:

Obi1r - Youre totally right with the vitamins etc etc. After my heavy run yesterday I developed serious flu like symptons, sore head, aching joints, sore throat etc etc... I need to up my intake of decent scran and vitamins...

Yeah take good care of yourself, although we are robots we still suffer organic symptoms. Personally I am convinced for some time now, that the intake of food supplements are definately needed. But the're is a lot of variety... take the ones that are natural (mostly they dont coma as a pill) so look out for the fluid ones. Those go into your veins very quick, if you know what I mean.
If you are interested, try to get hold of this interesting documentary called 'Food Matters'. Its not about food suplements, but about what is going on nowadays in the food industry, and why a lots of people suffer from chronic deseases (like diabetes and the like) and docters cannot cure them.

Hey Obi1r...
I got a hold of this documentary and Im afraid to say its one of the worst made I've ever encountered. a completely buyest stand point, with a lot of 'tales' and 'stories' of what nutrition therapy can do for you "my cousin done this... my auntie done this...". It seemed like I was being shouted at quite a lot with absolutely no objective views being considered. It also done a very good job of making a lot of stuff seem untrue and conspiratory. "My cousing lost 15 pounds in ONE DAY through our raw foods and superfoods program" <- my nurse flatmate states that unless you are SERIOUSLY ill, thats just not possible.

There may be a lot of truth in what these guys said and a lot of serious science gone into it, but absolutely no thought gone into this film at all... seemed like the zeitgeist for vitamin pills and drug corporations...

I'll be having a look into nutrition therapy myself, but this documentary almost made me angry...

So for now you stick with 'normal' medicines, Meschi? Cause teating people with pills is just 1 way of trying to solve illnesses. It's not like there isn't anything else. I have spend lots of time in Asia and a Tibetan doctor cured me with pills that looked like goatshit after he checked my pee and felt my wrist (heartbeat). Also I have been quite ill in India (hehehe who doesn't get sick there) but these Ayur Vedic doctors are quite brilliant. I think the message here from Food Matters is 'it is for a great deal your responsebility what you shove inside your mouth but if you eat & drink consciously you are able to prevent illnesses'... now this seems pretty logical to me. If you want to solve a problem you cannot be more thorough than going to the root of it.
For all I know now the doctors here (in the west) can put you pretty well together after a car crash, and can save your wife and child while she's giving birth, but in curing chronical deseases they are quite lousy.

I wonder what is your action plan is, when you say 'I am going to look into nutrition therapy myself'... now it's always good to test and experience things like this yourself, but it sounds to me your the kind of guy who likes to invent the wheel himself.

Strictly Rockaas