Topic: Albania

http://images.vector-images.com/109/f_albania.gif

we are planning to go by smart on a 2 weeks vacation to albania end of august.
anyone ever been there? recommendations? nice places to stop while driving through all the other countries to get there?

Re: Albania

What is your route like?

U should enjoy Albania ! One of the last forgotten places in Europa..
Tirana's really kool. Typical soviet style buildings now painted in several colors. Some nice restaurants and bars.
Lots of gypsy euro-türkish dance music pumping from the numerous big mercedes.
Skhöder and the lake are worth a visit.
Berat and Gjirökaster are a must see (the second one being the hometown of the great Ismail Kadare). Fantastic examples of the balkanic architecture.
Avoid the over concrete built Dürres if u want some kool seascapes. There are really nice small beaches and criques south of Saranda.
U'll get everything in a very small country. Sun, mountains, woods, lakes, seaside, authentic villages and people.. everything with this specific Albanian touch wink
Hope u'll like it as I did smile
Keep us posted

@ mekonin
"What is your route like?"
-> hm, good question, i have no idea yet! roll
i guess from germany via austria, slovenia (i want to see ljubijana), croatia (along the coast, maybe see split), montenegro (along the coast) to albania.

@ aratkiLo
"U should enjoy Albania ! One of the last forgotten places in Europa.."
-> yeah, we saw a documentary some while ago on tv and we both were pretty impressed by the beautiful landscape (some parts of it almost look like germany). like you already mentioned you can get everything in a very small country. and hey, they even have bunkers at the beach, so cool:

http://medias.cafebabel.com/9158/thumb/355/-/9158.jpg

also we liked the idea to go there by car to see as much as possible. the last few years we always went by plane on vacation. okay, we always rented a car or a vespa to check out the island or country we went to. but still, it's something different if you drive all the way down to albania instead of going there by plane. it's a bit more of an adventure.

"Lots of gypsy euro-türkish dance music pumping from the numerous big mercedes."
-> gypsy euro-türkish dance music sounds interesting. i have a weak spot for oriental music...
and yeah, it seems the mercedes is some kind of volkswagen in albania, ha, ha...

thanks for the tips and of course i'll keep you posted!

if stopping in zagreb give me a shout for a chit-chat and drink

if they do yas, be sure to take them to that cannon you took us!  tongue

but zagreb is nice, split is really beautiful, and we both likes llubljana a lot as well..

rude66 wrote:

if they do yas, be sure to take them to that cannon you took us!  tongue

haha it was funny how we found ourselves next to it exactly then when it fired! still, even with tight schedule we've had you got the chance to experience this local speciality big_smile

hey yas, check your gmail, please!

aratkiLo wrote:

Lots of gypsy euro-türkish dance music pumping from the numerous big mercedes.

sounds like what they call chalga in bg...it's the true balkanbeat big_smile

back from albania land of bunkers, ruins and mercedes benz...
damn, what a great trip that was... one of the best vacations i ever had!
did a lot of pics, will post some later...

Cool, would love to see some!

Hello I'm gonna be in Tirana 27th january til 3rd march, will probably have time for occasional travels though in the weekends. Please let me know all your tips!

I'm with a bunch of people who all make experimental music and we're also planning to give some improvisation concerts and do gigs of our own, so if you know any promoters in the area - let me know. I myself would love to dj somewhere also.  smile

bbuuuump!

I'm in Skopje, 300 km from Tiranna. I just got here, but I've seen some cool stuff. Maybe you could come play here.

miravalles, back in the area again, cool! come to zagreb on 4 feb, we're having party

Hi Yas!
I'm back in the area again, for a long term stay  smile
Party on the 4th of feb? Sounds great.

TIRANA ROCKS!
We'll be playing out soon here, and have an exhibition end of this month. Dunno about Skopje, s' bit far away, but not sure. We might hit Pristina also one of these weekends!