Topic: CV/Gate detuning problem

Got a Roland SH-2. It's my first CV/Gate synth so i tried to control it with my Doepfer MS404 since it has a build in Midi-CV interface. Problem is that it's not really in tune when using with the MS404. Especially over the octaves it's slighty detuned.
Everything is fine when playing over the keyboard without the Doepfer.

I want to order a proper Midi-CV interface anyway (Doepfer MCV4), but i'm a bit afraid that it also will not be in tune.
Does someone maybe has a SH-2 using with some Midi-CV interface or is it maybe possible that something is wrong with the CV/Gate jacks on the SH-2?

Re: CV/Gate detuning problem

if its not in tune with the 404, it wont be in tune with the mcv either. usually those things work fine and its inside the synth.. ive seen this problem before, or sometimes the other way around.. its usually a matter of adjustment inside..

hi,
i am sorry you are having problems.
i can telly you that in my studio i have the Doepfer A-190-1. its a module inside a modular synth but it should be working very similarly and i find it flawless. is your Doepfer device new? did you buy it in a shop or 2nd hand?
i would assume that the problem is more with your sh-2 than inside the Doepfer device since it is older.
has your roland sh-2 been modified in any way?
since CV messages are simply voltage in different values, sometimes, after a long time or as a result of hacking or modding, interference in these voltage values can occur, changing these values and causing the pitch to be incorrect. sometimes (on extreme cases) it can even be dust thats causing this.
i would first try and isolate where is the problem. try checking this with some other analog synth somehow. see what happens.
and dont worry, these problems are very often, very easily solved.

cheers and good luck!

you will have to recalibrate the OSCs so that they are in tune when stacked with another synth over the full 8 octave range...

the doepfer give 1 volt per octave, but perhaps your synth only needs 0.98volts (because it needs some trimming/calib) and so it will drift more how higher you play the keys.  Useally a trimmer is to be found inside the analogue synth for that.

Septic is probably right... But check the servicemanual before you start tweeking, or else it can become a nightmare....

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Thanks all, that really helped to understand.
I already have the service manual and will do it this weekend.
Still have respect for the procedure as it's the first time i do it.
But a man's got to do what a man's got to do, right? tongue

euhh.. thats not really a job for an amateur.. especially if you've never done it before.. you can seriously screw up your tuning..

Yea, i know. I already called for backup. wink