Re: Should I buy...

novation drumstation for 150 + trade cheap drum machine.  searched drumstation on this forum and seems like the votes for this module are 60/40 for/against.  I can load up 808/909 samples into my rs7000 or esx-1, but am interested to see how the analog modeling sounds, and it has dedicated outputs and knobs that control the functions for the drum voices...

yeah boyeee

Does the Kawai R-50e have the same sounds as the R-100???

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

1,503 (edited by totallyouted 2010-09-04 02:59:25)

found a sequential circuits six trak in really nice condition for $500 (he's taking offers on it too). opinions? what's a reasonable offer here? haven't seen many of these for sale, just some random bids going around on ebay but that's usually a poor price reference.

edit: alright...with further google research i've found that $500 is definitely on the higher end. around ~300US sounds fair i think?

edit2: this was more or less settled in another thread.

Moog Little Phatty for 600 Euro?

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

Sounds like a pretty good price to me.. €600 is near 50% as your gonna get.. If you want a moog that is..

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

an awesome sounding synth fo sho

yeah boyeee

http://lividinstruments.com/images/code_large.jpg

it's not cheap but seems nice.

what is it?
a controller?

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

yep Livid Instruments Code usb/midi controller. Is nicely made with metal and mahogany sides but of course price is in the 400$ region. I was thinking of a BCR 2000 but then saw this and thought, more compact, nice design and not made in China with slave labor. So I think I will save up for it and get it in the spring.

A future retro revolution for 400 Euro?

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

Klart wrote:

A future retro revolution for 400 Euro?

that seems an ok price at the moment, could be a little lower, maybe try bargaining a bit   tongue 
good machine overall, may not sound exactly as a 303, I like the CV modulation on it. Plus you get midi to cv and gate trigger and a nice step sequencer to control modulars etc

1,512 (edited by plikestechno 2010-09-15 19:00:05)

I keep trying to fight off the urge to buy this. I miss my Q rack. And well having a Q with 100 voices and analog filters would be pretty insane. Maybe in a few days if its still at its opening bid price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Waldorf-Q-Phoenix-e … 1c159e2cc5

Only thing is that those Waldorf keyboards and knobs are garbage. Also I told myself I'm not buying keys through the mail anymore. It's too nerve wracking. Too bad there's not a rack of this.

Should i buy a Moog Rogue with Synhouse Midi for 680 EUR?
The seller says that the first key on the keyboard has no function. He said that this is a side effect of the midi installation because of too less space inside the Rogue, but i know that this is complete bullshit.
On the other hand this seems to be the only issue. He send an MP3 and i think it sounds as it should and it sounds good. smile
I really need some opinions on this one.

I might be going to pick up a Juno 106 or JX-3P today. I know the 106 is worth more than the JX-3P right now but if you were just to buy one which one would you and why? I know the 3P gets a lot of love here.

Marco Tulio Thrash wrote:

yep Livid Instruments Code usb/midi controller. Is nicely made with metal and mahogany sides but of course price is in the 400$ region. I was thinking of a BCR 2000 but then saw this and thought, more compact, nice design and not made in China with slave labor. So I think I will save up for it and get it in the spring.

i woudnt spend it on a controller for the little bit of knob twisting I on my laptop. i use a cheap doepfer pocketcontrol. but if your gonna use it alot.... why not

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

Plikes - I'd go with the JX-3P.  I like the sound (it's uniquely charming in that Poly800 kind of way) and the polyphonic step sequencer is good fun.  I think the sound of the 3P would work well in your setup since you already have plenty of classy sounding instruments.

But if I have a Korg EX-800 with Moog Slayer, is that a little too close sonically to the JX-3P? Or the Juno?

Also consider that the original 106 voice chips must be replaced eventually. If they aren't already, be sure that the price of the Juno with the added cost of the replacement chips (it is best to replace all 6 of 'em) won't have you end up disappointed.

Brian Chinetti wrote:

Also consider that the original 106 voice chips must be replaced eventually. If they aren't already, be sure that the price of the Juno with the added cost of the replacement chips (it is best to replace all 6 of 'em) won't have you end up disappointed.

I have heard that this acetone method for getting the plastic cover off the chips is working wonders, I am about to try it myself so I will post the results here (fingers crossed).

ProjectGenocide wrote:
Marco Tulio Thrash wrote:

i woudnt spend it on a controller for the little bit of knob twisting I on my laptop. i use a cheap doepfer pocketcontrol. but if your gonna use it alot.... why not

point taken ... gonna check out the pocket controller you speak of

plikestechno wrote:

But if I have a Korg EX-800 with Moog Slayer, is that a little too close sonically to the JX-3P? Or the Juno?

I wouldn't say so.  I just meant the JX-3P kind of has its own sound in the same way the Poly800 does.  On some settings the JX-3P has the kind of sound where once you hear it, you know it forever as the JX-3P sound.  Sort of thin, but not in a bad way, just different from other Roland polys.  The filter is very, um, metallic?  I dunno.  It's unique.  I really like it.  smile

mekonin wrote:
Brian Chinetti wrote:

I have heard that this acetone method for getting the plastic cover off the chips is working wonders, I am about to try it myself so I will post the results here (fingers crossed).

please report back on this one. i've only seen the youtube acetone fix but no other reports. wonder how well it works over time

I'm also curious about it, as my Juno is suffering too. But I think my trouble are worse than just the voice chips, right now it doesn't make a single sound at all and the tape load doesn't work. Hopefully it's just the battery that's suffering again... Anyway, my tech guy doubted the acetone fix would work, let alone if it would be a good long term solution, but I reckon it is worth a try. I don't think it can make matters more worse than they already are... But to be honest, right now my 106 was easily replaced by the DW8000 and JX8p so I'm not at all in a hurry to get it fixed.

hey brian - did your guy say anything more detailed about why he doubted the acetone fix? maybe my understanding is really shallow but i thought the main problem with the chips was the interference the coating caused. but yeah, certainly wouldn't count on it for a long term solution but i'm broke as hell and i just want my juno operating well until i can afford proper care...

He wasn't specific about it, we only chatted about it shortly when I was ready to drive home. If you google a bit you'll find quite a few people on different forums that say it worked for them. So even if it is short term, I reckon it's well worth a shot.