Re: Health and Fitness

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs609.snc4/58942_472455461137_670136137_7170498_1013595_n.jpg

still feelin really good about this.

cool!

my time from the chip thing is officially 52:16, position 1313, haha!

i was reading it from my nike+, which also reported the distance as a little shorter than 10k, which means i've actually been running a wee bit more than what it's telling me...

definitely the half marathon for next time...

yeah, there was only about 250 people running our race. it was a small event for a small charity.
Looking into what other 10ks and what half marathons are coming up... Is this an addiction?

104 (edited by jacderida 2010-09-06 12:42:02)

it is indeed mate.

i've decided i'm gonna try and do a half marathon early next year, maybe feb/march. should be enough time to train to get a decent time.

http://marathons.ahotu.com/calendar/half-marathon/2011

oh, and i might do one somewhere in europe, just as an excuse for a wee holiday too big_smile

jacderida wrote:

oh, and i might do one somewhere in europe, just as an excuse for a wee holiday too

i can set up a small parcours out here 'round the local church if you'd like..  wink

chip time? 52 minutes to eat some pomme frites?

cuties don't exert

107 (edited by meschi 2010-09-06 19:28:49)

thats how quickly I will digest a bag of chips throughout the run. The trick is to get the balance between race time and digestion time... or you shite yourself.

I haven't been here much recently but it's nice to see this topic smile

Right now I’m training for Lidingöloppet (September 25), which is said to be the world’s biggest terrain race event.
In 2009, more than 38 000 runners in total registered to run in any of the different groups depending on age, sex and capacity.

I’m going to start in the biggest group, running the longest distance of 30 kilometers.

The race takes place on the island of Lidingö in Stockholm, Sweden and is known for its quite hilly track.
I’ve heard a lot of runners saying it’s tougher than the average marathon, despite being 12 km shorter, because of all the slopes.

I ran the race in 2008 and up to then the longest I had ran was a handful of half marathon runs (including 2 races) and I wasn’t very well prepared for this kind of hilly experience.
Aiming for under 3 hours, my first 10+10 km went pretty much according to plan, with 58+60 minutes.
But during the last 10 kilometers my energy was totally depleted and I got cramps in my thighs (both of them, front and back side) and my calves.
After needing to stop 20-30 times and stretch my aching muscles, I finished the last 10 kilometers in 90 (!) minutes.

Since then I have ran much more each year and got more experienced both in general and when it comes to longer runs.
In 2009 I ran my first Marathon which went well for the first 28km or so, then I lost pace and at the end it was all a matter of making it.
I finished in 4:15 which was a bit disappointing since I had hoped to make it in less than 4 hours.
I also improved my best half marathon time with over 17 minutes to 1:40 and managed to do the 10km in sub 44 minutes (improving 5 minutes).
Unfortunately I got a cold just in time for last year’s Lidingöloppet. It would have been interesting to see what I could have achieved being in the pretty good shape I was by then.

This year I have been suffering some injuries (feet/ankle/knees) and have not been able to repeat my best times of 2009.
Also, I have not ran a single long run (more than 15km) since May 1st
Apart from that failure in my preparations, I have begun to feel in pretty good shape recently and I have hopes I might be able to do quite well after all.
But 30km terrain is still 30km and I am aware that the absence of long runs will take its toll during the last third of the race.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

cool man, that sounds like some heavy duty stuff that you've done!

that terrain event sounds brutal - good luck with it!

how did you feel at the end of your marathon? my dad done one in about 3 hours 45 and said he was ill after it big_smile

i've made the decision that i'm going to start training for a half marathon after i come back from my holiday on september the 26th. i'm going to follow a training schedule that aims to get you to run it in around 1 hour 50 minutes. then if i get on ok with that, i've got another schedule that attempts to get you into the 1 and a half hour time zone.

congrats to mr meschi and mr jacderida - amazing times by all accounts  big_smile  and now you both have the bug. good stuff. 

@galliano - sounds like you are in for a rough one indeed. i like the idea of terrain running.. up a hill..is it the same thing or called something else.. but that shit must kill ankles, no?

111 (edited by Galliano 2010-09-13 13:16:11)

@jacderida: I felt a bit ill too after my marathon. At first I was totally exhausted of course but after relaxing for half an hour or so I decided I needed something to eat. A 200 gram cheeseburger with fries seemed like a good idea, since I desperately needed to refill my energy levels. But to my surprise I couldn't even eat half of it even if I forced myself. I had the same feeling as when you are sick, you might feel hungry but as soon as you take some food in your mouth, your body somehow objects.
Instead I got into my car and drove home. That was an interesting experience, driving 100km with my legs in pain after the race. The road I drove is very good, perhaps the best in Sweden (the new E4 between Gävle and Stockholm) so all I needed to do was keeping my right foot on the pedal, but even that was too hard to do so I drove quite a bit with my left foot on the pedal which felt really strange.

Good luck with your half marathon training. That distance is a good one since most people can make it with some training but at the same time it's long enough to be challenging. Bear in mind though that going from 1:50 to 1:30 is a big step.

The race I'm up to isn't extremely tough, it's not like running in the alps and the surface is pretty smooth. But all the ups and downs for 30km still make it a tough race. And my feet, calves, thighs and ankles will for sure be hurting at the end of the race.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

cool, thanks for the advice!

yeah, maybe it is a little ambitious, but it's just something to keep myself driven smile.

let us know how you get on with the 30k!

i decided to kick my smoking habit, now haven't had a fag since thursday night.

man, it is unreal the difference that it makes. ran a wee 4k on saturday, then a 10k tonight to sweat out my hangover, and the difference in general energy levels is just unreal, both during and after the run (and i was only smoking 4 or 5 a day).

good riddance to it!

jacderida wrote:

good riddance to it!

good shit!  smile

@ jacderida: Great, enjoy your new lifestyle!

With the risk of sounding like a boring healt freak smile I use other methods to stay alert today, compared to the past.

Earlier I used to drink about 4 cups of coffee a day to stay awake.
I needed my first as soon as I entered the office in the morning.

I quit drinking coffee about five ears ago.
It took some hard weeks to adapt, then I realised I don't need coffee anymore.

Earlier, I was thinking: "I ought to go out for a run, but I'm too tired"
Now, it's more like: "I'm tired, I need to go out for a run!"

The excersise doesn't consume energy, it gives energy. At least mentally.

Yesterday, I ran my first long run since May 1st.
It was a test to see how I would manage, important information before my 30km race in two weeks (as mentioned earlier).

I signed up in the last minute for a 20km run in the forests surrounding a small village north of Stockholm and it went pretty well.
I had no ambitions to do a great result, just finish the race in a comfortable pace.
We were about 20 runners in the 20km group and I think I finished third from the end, at 1 hour 50 minutes.

But now I know I can run 20km's in rather hilly terrain without problem.
And I know what pace to aim for in my next race.

Now I just have to perform some more good practice runs this week, sleep well and try to avoid getting sick, and everything will hopefully go well at my race.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

Galliano wrote:

The excersise doesn't consume energy, it gives energy. At least mentally.

definitely! i feel that same way. if i'm not motivated or feeling a little uninspired to do something (whether it be djing, making music, or whatever!) and then i go running - my whole mentality is changed and i've got the (mental) energy to do it. it's cool.  cool

it seems like there are some beautiful places to be running where you live @ in sweden running through forests and all! i wish it was like that here in so cal.

good luck on the upcomin race!

Galliano wrote:

Earlier I used to drink about 4 cups of coffee a day to stay awake.
I needed my first as soon as I entered the office in the morning.

I quit drinking coffee about five ears ago.
It took some hard weeks to adapt, then I realised I don't need coffee anymore.

i started drinking coffee couple of months ago, since i started working....i just cant keep up with training in the evening and staying awake the next morning at work....

the thing i hate about the training of any kind is the time when your on a brake...i get 2 months of brake every year, from july till september....and when i get back to training, thats when the horror starts....i get pain all over the body, my legs are burning, stomach, arms....and the lack of endurance....thats what gets me the most....so the next month and a half are gonna be hell....

A Musica....A Musica Na Capoeira Eu Axe....A musica Na Capoeira Eu Todo

i'd always rather have a tea than a coffee!

tin man - what do you train for?

119 (edited by cloud9 2010-09-17 06:22:12)

i don't have a gym membership and not planning on ever getting one (especially since usually my workout is only running) but now i am beginning to take my exercise beyond running and doing some ghetto workouts. do you guys do ghetto workouts? what kind of exercises do you do?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDCxH88-9X8[/youtube]

jesus christ that dudes horizontal pull ups are fuckin incredible! it's called "urban fitness" here and wee groups are popping up, but usually boot camp ex army officer lose 1 stone in a week style. i got ma own urban gym right here at home, my cast iron bed big_smile

jacderida wrote:

i'd always rather have a tea than a coffee!

tin man - what do you train for?

the way some employees are, im luck i even get the coffee...and dont have to pay for it

i train capoeira.....had another training last night. again in pain.

A Musica....A Musica Na Capoeira Eu Axe....A musica Na Capoeira Eu Todo

Tin Man wrote:

the way some employees are, im luck i even get the coffee...and dont have to pay for it

i train capoeira.....had another training last night. again in pain.

i never knew about capoeira until just a couple of months ago and now i've already run into a bunch of people who are into it. i'm wondering if it's just now starting to get recognized or there's some kind of trend or i've just been out of the loop my whole life. in any case it seems like a cool & respectable art form - when you combine martial arts, music, and dance, what is there not to like? welcome to the health & fitness thread tin man!  smile

I don't do too well when you turn me upside down, but capoeira is pretty fun to watch at least big_smile.  Burned almost 900 calories on the elliptical today... my health and fitness is taken care of for the week  tongue

124 (edited by karamanga 2010-09-26 15:37:53)

mushaden, is that a cross trainer? i love those machines!

Im doing a 24hour Liver cleanse starting this morning. never done one before. will keep you posted  tongue

okay that was a Null and Void attempt. think i need to do day 1 at work and day 2 at home, stay focussed on something that is not how hungry i feel  sad

http://www.marathon.se/images/upload/Lidingoloppet-Start.jpg

I did it smile

2 days ago I ran Lidingöloppet, the world's biggest terrain race (with about 40 000 participants in total), for the second time.

Although I had barely not ran any long practice runs at all (my second longest run since may 2nd was a modest 12,9km), I managed to finish the hilly 30km race in 2 hours 55 minutes, which was a personal best with 33 minutes smile

As expected, the last 10km was tough. And the last 3km was horrible, I thought it would never end.
If I had practiced more I would perhaps have performed better but during the circumstances I'm very pleased with my result.

Now, 2 days later, my legs are in pain. Especially walking down some stairs makes my thighs hurt.

But still, I think I will go out for a easy recovery run at lunch today smile

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.