1 (edited by plikestechno 2010-09-27 19:52:05)

Topic: Prophet T8 is now a Prophet T7

Fired up the beast the other day and noticed there is no sound every eigth note. Is this a VCO (CEM3340), VCF (CEM3372) or VCA (CEM3360) issue? There seems to be absolutely no sound at all. No noise, or weirdness or crackle. Just silence. Is it possible a chip came loose while moving house?

Holla.

Re: Prophet T8 is now a Prophet T7

plikestechno wrote:

Is it possible a chip came loose while moving house?

That certainly is possible. Open-er-up and press down on all the chips in sockets, jiggle all the ribbon connectors

Can't you make the filter self oscillate or use noise from the mixer to determine if the VCF to VCA path still works?

Never thought of that. That's why I came here.

definitely not the first time i hear about problems with dsi stuff. and people buy that crap to avoid problems with old synths breaking down. sad.

hans olof wrote:

definitely not the first time i hear about problems with dsi stuff. and people buy that crap to avoid problems with old synths breaking down. sad.

you're thinking of the Prophet 08, this is the almighty Prophet T8

TONY COPS wrote:
hans olof wrote:

you're thinking of the Prophet 08, this is the almighty Prophet T8

aha, i thought the T was for tabletop or something. sorry then, just ignore my hatred !

8 (edited by Carl Light 2010-10-07 02:44:32)

Research the "voice defeat" function for the T8. On the Prophet 600 you press record+7 while holding a bad key then all keys will play. (Thank you Dave Smith!) The T8 should have a similar function. MY P600 has 3 dead voices but I still love it. I wish the Juno 106 had this feature! This sound on sound page talks about it:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf … mp;fpart=1

9 (edited by mono-poly 2010-10-07 07:42:48)

Maybe also leds will light up when the voices switch to determ where it is located.
Seems like a death vca or vco i don't believe two 3340s died at once.
Might be wice to get some spares anyway for a synth like this.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

10 (edited by plikestechno 2010-10-07 19:54:41)

I still have to get in the studio to test but based on what I've read it's probably a dead VCA chip. The dead voice makes no sound at all. If it was a VCO apparently there should be at least noise or something.