Re: Should I buy...

SSM v3 wrote:

What's the sound of the Kit like? It looks like the sounds aren't that controllable, at least in its original state...

The KIT sounds good and has plenty punch. The bassdrum sounds best and quite 'natural'. The hi-hats and cymbal are also analog and pretty nasty. Originally the controls are at the bottom of the unit and only adjustable by a screwdriver so thats not really handy. The KiT itself is cool but it needs modification if you want to use it at its best.. Overall a great sounding 'KIT'

@TONYCOPS: I alsways considered the DSM200 as part of the MPC family

@septic: next time Ill add a smile

TB or not TB

TONY COPS wrote:

@SSM, thanks, I think the M.P.C. drum synths have pretty good envelopes and they sound a bit more hifit han the Tamas.

@septic, I noticed the Icon Design has DSM in it name, is it made by M.P.C. also?

I bought the DSM200's locally here, I only have one left, very good for toms/kicks and übersnares

I believe it is the same company yes.

I also have the MPC The Clap, laying in my closet for 5 years or so
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FMBJEkaC8Lw/RcJBaVj8XJI/AAAAAAAAAAk/OFGu3M5FRxs/s400/14e5_1.JPG

Septicstudio wrote:

I also have the MPC The Clap, laying in my closet for 5 years or so
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FMBJEkaC8Lw/RcJBaVj8XJI/AAAAAAAAAAk/OFGu3M5FRxs/s400/14e5_1.JPG

How is that clap sounding? & what kind of clap is it comparable with?

TB or not TB

Sounds very, very grainy...Just like a Logan stringensemble sounds grainy.
Can be tuned like it sounds donwshifted etc.

It is best comparable with the clap channel of the vermona DRM1, and sounds awesome.
But I find the Vermona DRM1-MKIII faster working and even more tweakable.

Septicstudio wrote:

It is best comparable with the clap channel of the vermona DRM1, and sounds awesome.

Ive checked that DRM1-MKIII clap om you-tube and it sounds quite similar to the Analog Clap-Trap from Simmons. The rest of the sounds a bit like a mixture of the Techstar and Icon.. The Vermona sounds much better than it looks so far I can hear/see on youtube smile

TB or not TB

Freek wrote:
Septicstudio wrote:

Ive checked that DRM1-MKIII clap om you-tube and it sounds quite similar to the Analog Clap-Trap from Simmons. The rest of the sounds a bit like a mixture of the Techstar and Icon.. The Vermona sounds much better than it looks so far I can hear/see on youtube smile

Yeah it resembles the Claptrap alot.

I think the Vermona DRM1 -MK3 for 569 Euro NP orso is the best thing any drumloving technomaker should have in his crib.

casio cz-3000 for 200euro?

Bit expensive maybe. Probably worth holding out for a CZ-1 for that kind of dough...

I got a CZ-5000 for 150Euri 3 years ago. Make sure there are no battery issues and make sure to change the batteries to avoid memory loss problems. I loved the PD synthesis. Heavy as fuck though the 5000 model.

hmm..i had cz-1000 but it felt quite limited so i selled it out, maybe i try to find that cz-5000 somewhere

nakoradiomies wrote:

hmm..i had cz-1000 but it felt quite limited so i selled it out, maybe i try to find that cz-5000 somewhere

To be fair the difference between the 3000 and the 5000 is a pretty crappy sequencer. Not worth any more at all IMOHO.

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

1,587 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2010-10-11 12:03:11)

It's more useful than the 1000 tho, although sound wise and editing wise there is no differences between the 1000 and the 3000 (nor any of the CZ family). Except the 3000 has a chorus, a mod wheel and a pitchbend, and you can split the keyboard and layer sounds. However the biggest advantage of the 3000 over the 1000 (and 101) is the larger number of user patches, more voices, the dedicated storage battery and the build in psu. I don't know how the 3000 deals with patch memory dump, but if it's anything like the CZ-1 that is another huge benefit over the 1000. To be honest, because of the disadvantages the 1000 and the 101 are the ones you should least desire. The CZ-1, that's really where it's at. But again, there's hardly any differences in sound so if you didn't like the 1000 there's no reason to go for any other CZ.

200 euro isn't too bad, but it is the maximum price I think. At least here in Holland you often see most CZ's for about 150 to 200, only the CZ101 and CZ1 can fetch a bit more, probably 250 to 300.

i liked the sound of cz-1000 very much, but having storage for 16 sounds is way too less..
hmm maybe i just pass this one and keep searching on for the cz-1..

thanks anyways!

Still, the 3000 has 32 user patches instead of 16. I once saw some instructions about how to make your own memory cartridge, but I can't find them anymore. They must float around the web somewhere. But those instructions already said that it will be hard to find a pin connector for it...

As for dumping patches, I just checked the manual for the 3000 and it seems that it doesn't have an easy sysex dump function like the CZ-1 does (nor tape dump like the 5000), so that sucks. You can still dump your patches to the computer using midi-ox (or any other librarian that can make dump requests), but I remember from my CZ101 that it was a rather tedious process requiring user confirmed 'handshakes' between the computer and the CZ. But maybe I'm just too stupid and lazy, and somebody wrote a script for it, who knows. You could wait for a CZ1 to pop up, but I must admit that I hardly ever see one up for sale. So it might not be such a bad idea to still go for the CZ3000 after you did some research and convinced yourself that using a librarian for patches isn't as tedious as I thought it was.

I have a question about CZ-1000:
Is it necessary to have those big batteries in it in order to keep the patches in memory or does it have an internal battery for that? Mine looses all the patches when it is turned off (including all the internal ones) and goes slightly out of tune. I use the reset button on the back to get it in tune and to restore the factory internal patches.

Yep you need the Batteries in..

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

1,592 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2010-10-11 16:29:25)

Yeah... you can sorta mod it with a battery clip for 4 AA batteries (which provide 6 volt: enough for the patch memory but not enough to power the synth up). It's a common trick, most people that did this 'mod' told me they can use these batteries about 1,5 to 2 years.

http://www.arenddeboer.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/4_aa_battery_holder1.jpg

Also, be sure you turn the APO switch on; the 6 D cells also power up the synth which drains the batteries even faster. The APO switch set 'on' makes the synth turn itself automatically off when it's battery powered (which is handy when you don't use the power switch to turn off the synth, but for instance unplug the psu). But with the 6 volt battery clip you don't have to worry about that anymore at all. In my own experience that was the only benefit of this 'mod'. For me the clip didn't work that long (the voltage dropped quite quickly) and I lost my patches within a few months so my repair guy designed a discrete power circuit for it. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to do that (as I haven't got the knowledge).

Right, thanks, I was presuming that. I'll see if I could find someone to mod it for me. Do you know for how long should normal D cells hold the memory?

Don't know really. The manual says about a year if you use them only for keeping the memory, I think that's pretty accurate.

anyone have the roland gaia?
how is it?

1,596 (edited by Marco Tulio Thrash 2010-10-12 02:29:48)

the interface seems straightforward and well laid out

terrible name though, let's just call it SH-01

Jaspers keyboard stand

http://www.jaspers-alu.de/images/KeybRack170-145-4-19.jpg

expensive with freight to australia.  have any of you seen/got one?

I've seen them, they seem really good. I reckon there's not many alternatives, unless you go for Ikea's Stolmen stuff.

I have a Jaspers stand also. Very good at what it does (ie, standing).

skkatter wrote:

(ie, standing).

I lolled big_smile