Re: Should I buy...

skkatter wrote:

I have a Jaspers stand also. Very good at what it does (ie, standing).

big_smile  yikes  lol

My tech wants to trade a Logan String melody for my Roland Rs-202.

They're both repaired and upgraded and work fine, but mine's beat up (with no top case I think) and his is mint.

I'll have the answer tomorrow when I try them both side by side, but what do you guys think?

I never keep stringers for long it seems, so I'd also go for money value.  The Logan is attractive because it's all over Rational Youth's Cold Was Night Life

I now have both stringers at home.

The logan sound nice, it sounds more organ-like than the Rs-202 but it has its own dramatic sound (Rational Youth).

The Roland sounds a bit more hifi, Vintage Rolands will never cease to impress me!

1,604 (edited by plikestechno 2010-10-15 22:07:51)

What does the Logan sound like compared to the ARP Solina SE-IV? Or the Omni?

The only Roland stringer I ever owned was the RS-09 and found it very organ-y. Like the Solina way better. Just so much more raw. Would be neat to try a 202 or 505 one day.

I think my jones for a Logan has to do with Rational Youth too as oposed to the synth as well and that they are so rare. The Solina has me very happy and has satiated by Logan and other string machine GAS for now. Mine just seems to sound very warm, raw and alive.

I owned a Crumar Multiman-S once too. Very Schulze-TD. I kinda miss it but there's no way I'm filling my studio up with stringers.

The Logan is muddier than a Solina, It's still warm sounding but I prefer the Solina or Omni.
The Rs-09 sounds a bit like the 202, but more electronic.

The Rs-202 is pretty awesome, it's like the Logan is a funeral and the Rs-202 is heaven when you play the two.

stringers are like early digital drum machines they're all pretty similar, but each has its own unique sound, so you want them all, but need just one, or none at all.

I'm looking at a Kawai K5000R on craigslist for $200 at the moment. I'm assuming this is the rackmount version of the S, right?
If so I might make the 1.5-2 hour drive tomorrow.

I'm totally lacking a poly in my set-up right now and it's killing me.

Oh for sure do it. You cant even get a k2000r for that price.

A friend of mine is buying a MKS-30 with PG-200 for €469  is this a fair price?

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Well couldn't he probably get an actual JX3P with PG-200 for around that price?

The MKS-30 is meant to have the dodgy voice chips same as the juno 106 etc, but it is velocity sensitive which the JX3P is not.

But form my money the JX3P's keyboard, sequencer and dashing 80s looks would make me prefer that over the rack version.

MKS30 has 106 filter, the jx3p the jp8 filter. Because of that  the Jx3p sounds different (better?) and as said here, 106 voices should be replaced eventually. Replacing all voices will cost another 250 euro for the chips alone. So eventho it seems like a fair deal, I personally would not do it. I'd be more interested in finding a MKS50 with a pg300.

1,611 (edited by crc 2010-10-25 15:18:16)

should i buy a DX7s, and sell my DX21?

there is just something really nice and ghetto about the dx 21 chorus and layers, dual detune ect..
does the unison effect compare to that?

edit: typos

1,612 (edited by plikestechno 2010-10-25 23:18:37)

Korg Rhythm 55 just got listed on my Kijiji 45 minutes ago for $60! Hope he calls me back...

Got it! So happy. Such a sick funky machine. Perfect shape, no scratchy volume knobs or anything.

I got lucky. He actually had two and I was the second guy in  smile

plikestechno wrote:

Got it! So happy. Such a sick funky machine. Perfect shape, no scratchy volume knobs or anything.

I got lucky. He actually had two and I was the second guy in  smile

Congrats. I love mine, the 808 and Linn are gathering dust at the moment!

Speaking of the Linn picked that up today too. One down the road in Calgary with JL Cooper MIDI, in fantastic shape and a ton of extra sockets with 808 sounds in them for 750 Canadian including shipping. Very amazing sound to it. Very happy as well but the Rhythm 55 was the catch of the day.

Thanx for the help with the MKS-30... The guy decided to wait for a jup8.

I local guy is selling a Prophet VS and a P2000. I want to make him a fair offer, cos he seems nice. But not the usual vintage berserk prices. Any ideas ???

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

plikestechno wrote:

Speaking of the Linn picked that up today too. One down the road in Calgary with JL Cooper MIDI, in fantastic shape and a ton of extra sockets with 808 sounds in them for 750 Canadian including shipping. Very amazing sound to it. Very happy as well but the Rhythm 55 was the catch of the day.

Good deal, I paid a bit more for my Linn, it's a great machine!

1,618 (edited by Stalker 2010-11-08 23:44:51)

Simmons SD8 with 4 pads, Kickdrum and stands for 536€  ???

Quick Reply pls... I was first on the phone>!

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Erroraudio wrote:

sds8 is great, normally worth between 150 and 300.. only buy it if you really want the extra kickdrum and stands or if you have too much money in your pocket.. But a SDS8 is something you wont regret buying, if its the right pricing is up to you smile

TB or not TB

Erroraudio wrote:

did you make another call?  smile

TB or not TB

Not yet.... Thinking of buying one of someone on the continent if they are that much cheaper down there... Although the shipping may end up eating the money saved. Would love to have one!!!

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Erroraudio wrote:

Not yet.... Thinking of buying one of someone on the continent if they are that much cheaper down there... Although the shipping may end up eating the money saved. Would love to have one!!!

536 is not really a bargain so maybe its better to try your luck elsewhere because Im sure you can find it cheaper. The SDS8 sounds a bit more harsh compared to others in the serie, but the sds200, sds400, sds800 are also worth checking (especially the ones with a run-generator). good luck!

TB or not TB

there is an SDS8 now for sale in NL for 250..

TB or not TB

What the hell is Sonor Citec / Citec CDX-9 drum module?
Guy wants 80e for it, but I can't find any info about it.