Topic: eq probs

At the moment, without any eq'ing at all my turntables sound just too bassy.   The amp/preamp/speakers and small space I'm in tend to compound the problem I think, though if a use a different source sound card, CD etc. I don't get the low end problem I get with the turntables.  So far I've just been eq'ing the low from the mixer for the right sound.  This isn't very satisfactory as I it takes away from the function of the eq's and makes the eq kill switches useless.

Anyone had a similar problem with turntables they had to deal with?

Would a graphic equalizer solve my problems?  If I were to plug in third source into the mixer (aside from turntables), would an equalizer be able to remove the excess low end from the turntables but leave the third source basically the same?
What effect would eqing turntables before the reach mixer preamp have?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

Re: eq probs

a turntable dpoesnt have any sound, the cartridges do. maybe try a different one? its a weird problem though..

Isn't it just a problem because of the small space? Maybe the acoustics of the space enhance the lower frequencies?

rumble maybe? are your decks on the same table/furniture than your speaker??

TinFoilHats wrote:

Isn't it just a problem because of the small space? Maybe the acoustics of the space enhance the lower frequencies?

The only thing is that using a different source other than turntables I get a much more even response.  My best guess is that it's just the way it's picked up by the preamp or amp.  I have the mixer through the cd input, on the preamp.  Is this ok? It seems to function the same as an aux input and I assumed because the mixer acts as a preamp it doesn't need to go into the phono port.  Actually plugging into the phono input makes the low end ridiculously pronounced.  I don't know, maybe I'm doing something stupid. 

I have tried changing cartridges (though to not greatly dissimilar cartridge) with no real difference that I could tell.
olivier8:   The speakers are floor speakers, no rumble I don't think.

Stop playing dubstep records.