Re: Health and Fitness

cloud9 wrote:
Tin Man wrote:

the way some employees are, im luck i even get the coffee...and dont have to pay for it

i train capoeira.....had another training last night. again in pain.

i never knew about capoeira until just a couple of months ago and now i've already run into a bunch of people who are into it. i'm wondering if it's just now starting to get recognized or there's some kind of trend or i've just been out of the loop my whole life. in any case it seems like a cool & respectable art form - when you combine martial arts, music, and dance, what is there not to like? welcome to the health & fitness thread tin man!  smile

tnx m8 smile

well, actually capoeira was brought into europe around the 70's, and is blooming quite well in the past decade...
the best capoeira schools in europe are in holland, france, denmark, portugal, and is spreading quite well around the continent, but most of people dont know what capoeira is, and those who have heard of it say" oh, its that dance, right?" big_smile
but, then again, i get surprised when someone asks me - "what do u train?" i say "capoeira" and they tell me "oh, yea i know what that is"...and that happens more and more....
to me capoeira is really great...u get to sing, play the instruments, do the acrobatics, and have a hell of a work-out while doing all of that...but what still stuns me, after 5 years of training, is what a human body is capable of doing...u wont believe the flexibility a human body can have...and put a brain behind the flexibility...people sometimes amaze me

A Musica....A Musica Na Capoeira Eu Axe....A musica Na Capoeira Eu Todo

cool, after my 10k I slacked off for quite some time. Gettin heavy back into it again, but its amazing how quickly you can lose your distance!!

doing a cheeky 3.1 mile today home from work. Might start making the jog home from work a regular thing! especially after the kinda day Ive had...

i've started half marathon training, i'm running a 10k comfortably in 50 minutes now. found a lush new route that goes through pollok park too (with a big fuck off hill at the 9.1k mark big_smile).

i'm going to follow the plan to get my weight down and fitness up for going into the new year. then i'm gonna start a new  harder plan and run in one of the big european events early in the new year. there's a half marathon in paris in march and one in berlin in april... smile

oh, also, awesome stuff galliano, reports like that are inspirational! smile

meschi, see how earlier in this thread when you said that you had an app for your phone for the running, was it runkeeper by any chance? i just got an armband for the iphone delivered today, and bought the app for 6 quid. it's really peachy, here is what it produced after i logged in after tonight's run:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2961/rund.jpg

i think this will be replacing nike+ for me, as it tracks both the route via GPS and also the elevation!

Hey jacderida, good work!
It's fun to keep track of your running.

I use a Garmin ForeRunner 305 to register my runs.
Some people prefer to just run withour checking distance or time but I think it's more fun to gather some information to be able to see my eventual progress.

Earlier I was the only one running at my office.
I used to go out for 1-3 runs at luch every week and some of my colleagues thought it was a bit strange I guess.

But then one of my colleagues joined me and then another one...

Yesterday we had a new all time high with seven (!) lunch runners from my company (out of about 30 employees).

The brave runners (one missing, taking the picture):

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2849/rnningesjnrunt20101.jpg

I'm the wierd looking dude at the right  big_smile

It was rather cool in the air and very windy, which explains my choice of clothes.
The two guys standing at the left jogged a very hilly 4km track and the rest of us ran around a nearby lake (7-8km depending on the selected path) which is a nice track.

I'm pretty proud of starting this "movement" at my work  smile

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

132 (edited by jacderida 2010-10-14 22:04:12)

hey galliano, i never noticed your post until now!

you're definitely right, i love all the stats, though i am a geek in general, so i love all that kind of shit anyway smile.

that's really cool that you've got a little movement going there. i would also think about running on my lunch break, but i only get half an hour, so there's  not really enough time. it would be nice to have a little community of runners so you can all push and challenge yourselves for a bit of fun smile.

i found another 10k to run on the 28th of november, so i am currently training for that. i'm on week 2 of this training plan. it's going well, but since i'm still overweight for a good runner, it can be pretty tough on my legs. but i think that i will have gotten rid of all that weight by the end of this, which should set me up for a good half marathon. the interval training has been really challenging, but i can see that this is definitely the way to go if you want to improve your times. i did the thursday night 40 minute steady run tonight and ran 8.4k, and could have easily kept it going. it's amazing how much more energy you get from doing the intervals, it's definitely making me fitter!

it's ambitious, but after doing this training i'm aiming to run this 10k in sub 45 (although probably only by seconds big_smile)

running is definitely turning into an obsession for me - if i have to miss a training session now i get so pissed off! smile

edit:
also btw, do you do any strength training? my bro was selling a multi gym machine, so i bought that off him, so now i'm also doing weight training on monday, wednesday and friday. although, just light stuff, purely to supplement the running. i'm not interested in body building at all, i'm only doing it cause i've read that it can help your running, if you do smaller amounts of weights with higher reps.

1. Quit smoking - check
2. Join gym - check

Next:  Lose 10 kilo's in the next 6 months.

cool, good luck with the weight loss! it's not long before you start to notice how much generally better you feel from quitting smoking... (not to mention the amount of money saved big_smile)

i had a nice 13.3k run today to complete 60km ran this week smile.

Thats me signed up for another 10k... I plan on beating 45 mins this time round smile

136 (edited by jacderida 2010-11-16 13:40:07)

nice one, glad to hear it! where is it this time? still in london? i thought i was the only person on here still doing any exercise during the winter smile. so far the weather hasn't been too bad, hoping for that to continue.

btw, i didn't realise how hard it would be to work on getting your speed down! the other week i done a 'tempo run' at a pace that would be required to run a 40 minute 10k and i only lasted about 22 minutes, with 4.5k travelled. and that was after having done quite a lot of speed work already.

interval training is hard work, but you once you do it you start noticing really rapidly how much easier the 'easy' runs become (the long ones where you go at a nice pace), which makes them become actually enjoyable rather than a chore. i ran 10 miles in 1 hour 33 minutes a couple of sunday's ago and managed it no bother.

Yeah, I've haven't been doing much lately for a number of reasons. But getting stuck back in now.

back in the game, messin in the gym.

@jacderida whit glasga you been in.. its been baltic here  tongue

@ramos hows the plan goin did ya join up?

well, the cold is fine, you warm up within 5 minutes of going out smile.

the only thing that's really bad is when it's windy as hell (or even worse, wind and pissing rain). but so far that hasn't stopped me from marching on! big_smile

my main hope is that it won't get too icy or snow during december, so that i can keep at it!

140 (edited by Mitel' 2011-01-05 19:34:55)

steel is to make all exercises by 33 approaches but only 1 -33 pres-ups, squattings, press and so on or time distance or length in track&field disciplins same is 33, or may be with  tracks fields  able..  smile expecialy just do it every day  for every part of our body/ result is assurance  smile BeStrongBeHealthy!  It's nice position! Or it's important to breath your nose!
Here i read abot gyms.. i think it's torporific. .
..your headphones and run away for x er sizes i like this way out

10k tonight in 47:09, on a course that's pretty hilly  (70m climb in total)

getting there... hopefully i won't have shin splints tomorrow!

luckily the schedule is a nice easy 6k tomorrow night...

been skate-boarding a lot lately and last night i noticed one of my thigh is getting much bigger than the other..lol

first gym visit of the new year... need to get 'buff'
given up the booze for the month too... feeling good already smile

i'm never going to a gym but i've started pumping weights at home. Want to lose my skinny hipster bod by summer.

nice to see someone bumped this thread! meschi, i'm aslo having a complete detox from booze during january. i felt like i drank 3 months worth in december!

here was my christmas present from my whole family:
http://i.imgur.com/ccUkL.jpg

awesome garmin running watch! started running again last week after the shitty snow and ice cleared, got out 5 times.
i'm aiming to run 6 days a week during january.

kinda bummed havent done yoga in a month and my body needs it!  whatchagonnado when you cant breath deep or raise your arm past your shoulder

147 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2011-01-05 20:08:16)

Getting better and better with the knee problems, I have been following a very tense rehab program. 3 hours of fitness 3 times a week. Every 3 weeks I have a 4 hours session to see how my condition is evolving. It's heavy but it's actually fun as I'm able to do sports again that way. Should be ok in a couple of months but after that I'll have to maintain the 3 times a week training (but not so intensive)to keep the knee healthy. It will always be a weak spot tho.

@ Obi1r: I've finally managed to find an additional vitamin combo that works very good for my body, thanks to my doctor:
Amino acids before and after training
Whey-shakes after training (proteins)
Glucosamine (for the joints)every day
Magnesium every day

Works fine for me, only the glucosamine is a bit heavy on the stomach.

"A Real Music Hater"

nice to hear seb! what is the training that you do for rehab?

90% is training on fitness devices, legpress, adductor, quadriceps, hometrainer, ... well, all devices to train the muscles in the legs (difficult to name them in English tongue), aside from that I have the stability and coordination exercises of course, that's very important too, they look easy but they're very difficult as long as the knee is not 100% ok. For example: standing on one leg on a pillow and flexing the knee, wasn't able to do that a couple of months ago but it goes a lot easier now.

"A Real Music Hater"

cool, i'm glad to hear that things are looking up for you. i can only imagine the frustration of having such a long term injury...