Topic: NS-10 Studio Monitors

i'm using NS-10M for few years for mixing and mastering. usually i'm very happy with results.
few days ago i was listening to few mixes i did on Tannoy monitors with sub monitor, the mix sounded quiet different
i guess mainly because of the sub.

i know some of you are using NS-10's, what do you do with the sub issue?

again i like ns-10 but do you think its fit to electronic music?

last thing, they are 2 ways to work with those monitors.
1. vertical - while the tweeters are above the woofers.
2. horizontal - tweeters are to the side of the woofers.

is it all depends on the space you work in? what the reasons?, etc.

thanks

2 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2008-08-11 10:06:25)

Re: NS-10 Studio Monitors

The NS10's suck for checking every aspect of your mix. They are very good for checking the balance (levels) of your mix but checking what goes on in the sub is hard, if not impossible. Once you get really used to them it will get better, but in my experience you can never really trust them. I always have a 2nd set of speakers on the side to check certain frequencies. The times I didn't check my mix on that 2nd set, I screwed up in the lower regions. NS10's make you mix acceptable, but hardly ever prefect.

I prefer to have my NS10M studio lying on the side (like they are intended) and have the tweeters pointed outwards. Reason? I get the impression that it's more in line with the position I'm in when I'm in front of my mixer. I noticed when I had them standing up, I also had to stand up to get a better feel of the different levels.

"The NS10's suck for checking every aspect of your mix"
that sucks.
as i said. i'm working with them for quiet long and i'm used to it but lately i find it not enough for my needs...

Brain, what are your 2nd set if i may ask?

I have the same problem. I really trusted them for a long time, but perhaps I got lazy with them, or perhaps my style of mixing changed, or maybe it's just fatigue or whatever. I dunno. I always knew I had to be careful with trusting them and I thought I pretty much understood where I could take them, but like you I lately feel they aren't enough anymore.

My 2nd pair are Magnat Vector hifi speakers. I'm thinking about changing these Magnats with something new and use these new speakers as my main speakers, and keep the NS10's for double checking the levels.
At my job I have a pair of Monitor One's (mk1) that will be obsolete in a few weeks (I changed them for KRK RP6) so I might bring those home. If that doesn't satisfy me I'm gonna see if I can find a nice pair of Dynaudio's...

Ow man, I hate shopping for anything that comes after synths and drums. Effects units are still pretty easy to choose, but mixers, speakers, compressors and all that stuff... You never really know what you get until you got it. So if you have any reasoning, I'm eager to hear it.

in the dubbing studio i used to work there was KRK (i think it was v series) which i really liked i used to bring over
my mixes and test it over those KRK's. i wouldn't mind to have them here.
in the second room of that studio we had Tannoy which always sound too "plastic"
to my ears. i didn't like working on those tannoy's. as i said before i went to a friend and and he has the same tannoy's but it sound so nice. as i said it made me confuse.

i understand you, shopping this kind of gear is hard and expansive and usually have a lot to do with the room you work in.