Topic: Editor/Librarian for DX7s

tried several ones, but none works... soundlib crashes, dx editor just doesn't work
any recommendations?

Re: Editor/Librarian for DX7s

Sound Quest MIDIquest 10

a free one would be nice.

afaik there simply isn't a working one for windows but i heard there are some good ones for Atari ST.
You could try to use them on windows with an Atari ST emulator.

hmm.. that's a shame... maybe i try that emulator thing.. on the other hand maybe i'll just program my own sounds

In case you still need an DX7 editor. I came across this one while surfing. But it's not free.

http://www.fm-alive.com/Pages/DXM3.aspx

i tried version 1 of that program (free) but it didn't work, so i don't know if i should buy version 3.

i got soundlib to transport single sounds (and crashing soon after that), so i managed to go trough some patches, but they are mostly crap anyways, so i might just make my own.

did you ever have any luck finding an editor? i have midiquest 10 and still haven't been able to figure out how to get the banks or patches in and out of my dx7 mk I with the e! grey matter upgrade

yeah boyeee

yeah. i bought a program called DX Manager 3. was quite cheap and it works nicely.

http://www.fm-alive.com/pages/DXM3.aspx

i have the 30 day trial running on that one and when I tell the dx 7 to transmit bank>? -yes, i get 'dx manager cannot load bank 1 it is not a recognized file type',

and any time i try and send a patch or a bank using dxm or midiquest10, there's no change in a dx7 with the internal memory protect off, etc

at this point the only luck with these editors is when i edit the individual parameters like the egs, choosing an algorhythm, output level of the ops, etc basically every parameter, one by one, it does follow suit on the dx7

i've already got a bunch of really nice rhodes, wurlitzers, organs, and a bass and synth or two on there, but just cant get the tens of thousands of syx patches that I found over on to it so that I can find all of the square-ish, saw-ish stuff with balls that people have already set up for it

the grey matter e! card was installed in the synth when I bought it, so I have mad patch storage, but when I follow all the instructions i've found in the manuals and forums online etc still I am not getting banks or patches to come and go on the thing

yeah boyeee

i like programming my own sounds, and i'm ok with programming them with the keyboard. quite easy to get some square/saw stuff actually. but i want to be able to store the patches on my pc, and that's what i use the dx manager for. probably something to do with the grey matter e! card. you should ask the guys at the yamaha dx yahoo group. they know quite alot... or ask the guy who makes the dx manager directly.

crc wrote:

i like programming my own sounds, and i'm ok with programming them with the keyboard. quite easy to get some square/saw stuff actually. but i want to be able to store the patches on my pc, and that's what i use the dx manager for. probably something to do with the grey matter e! card. you should ask the guys at the yamaha dx yahoo group. they know quite alot... or ask the guy who makes the dx manager directly.

great advice, thanks!

yeah boyeee

fuuuuck man! i am about to do the jump in the air at the end of the toyota commercial  big_smile

on the last page of the grey matter manual
"
-can't load voices from computer-

remove memory protect, go to the keyboard page and push button 2 to turn sysex on. the data transfer should now work. after transfer is complete the led's will read AV or AF or CV or CF."

I lost hours and hours on my last day off trying to solve this problem  tongue

yeah boyeee

good to hear!