1 (edited by Stalker 2010-11-19 01:34:19)

Topic: choosing a mixer [400-500 euro]?

What do you think about soundtracs mixers? How they compare for example to d&r or tascam? I've found Soundtracs Solo Live 24-4-2 near pleace where i live, seller told me it's in good condition. How much should i pay for it?

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6386/1302995311.jpg
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8756/13029953113.jpg

Re: choosing a mixer [400-500 euro]?

i'm using a pc midi for the last few years with no real complaints. i reckon you should be able to get this for between €500 and €700 provided there are no major flaws but be prepared for a good cleaning job. i think that price is worth it alone for the mix bus. i haven't heard the eq on this model but it's adequate on mine, i imagine they are similar. you get a hi and low shelf with two sweeps, the q is fixed. not designed for precision but it does the broader stuff well. i cannot offer comparisons to the other desks you mention.

I have that very desk, with the additional MIDI option, which I have never used. I like it, but I can't really compare it to D&R or TASCAM, since I've never used them. I do have problems with the gain structure sometimes though. with hiss coming through, but I am sure the problem lies with me more than the desk. Also, the caps on my power supply leaked and I had to replace them.

In the end, I think I will sell mine though, as it is really big and heavy, and I do not wish to move house with it any longer. And I don"t record through it

@teknob
so what do you use it for? door stopper? paper holder? big_smile big_smile big_smile

yeah, it's pretty good for both of those things. But seriously, I use it to mix jams, but i I am recording something into the computer I tend to do it from the mixer direct outs, on track at a time.

6 (edited by Stalker 2010-11-19 12:22:19)

Should I buy Allen & Heath Zed 24 in great condition for 450 Euro? I won't find here any nice old console in decent condition so probably i will end up with some modern sterile sounding mixer. Is it better than mackie or soundcraft in the same price range?

I heard that the Soundcraft mixers should have good EQs and preamps, not the really cheap ones (300 EUR) but the a little bit more expensive ones (say 500-600 EUR). I haven't checked them out myself, though...