Topic: Yamaha DX200/other fm devices

I had an Elektron Monomachine for a while, and although all in all I think it was a pretty soul-less machine, I really liked the fm-synth in it. Easy to tweak and expressive. I read a bit about the yamaha dx200 and it seemed almost like a stand-alone version of that machine. Although it's only completely programmable via a downloadable PC/MAC OS editor, it seems like there's a fair amount of possibilities in the knobs that are there. Seems pretty ghetto and cheap and while the onboard sequencer seems somewhat limited, it's only a bonus since I'd be using the dx200 mostly as a sound module from ableton anyway.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/dx200.jpg

Basically what I'm looking for is a hardware FM-synthmodule that is also somewhat easily editable. So neither of the larger keyboard models (the DX's)or the rackmount ones (TX's, still a little hard to edit) are quite what I'm looking for. Any thoughts?

Re: Yamaha DX200/other fm devices

While not strictly FM synthesis, you should take a look at the Casio CZ series with Phase Distortion and are much easier to program than the DX-7 & co. The DX 200 is just an expansion card for a Yamaha workstation in a box with some knobs on it as far as I'm aware.

But CZ Phase Distortion sounds very different from Yamaha DX'TX etc.

If you take an afternoon to check out the contols on the DX its pretty easy to program, the interface of the DX7 and other DX's is pretty intuitive.

4 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2008-08-11 23:21:30)

I'll be the last to say you shouldn't go for the CZ series big_smile But I wouldn't say they are much easier to edit, maybe just as easy as the 4 op DX100 and TX81Z, but certainly not as easy as the DX200. And imho I think only the bigger CZ's like the CZ1 and CZ5000 have enough features to justify todays prices, the CZ101 is overpriced lately. And the bigger CZ's... well... they are big... And indeed they don't quite sound the same (eventho Yamaha's FM is really PM which is much closer to PD than FM, but that's mierenneukerij).

I do think the DX200 will be a lot easier to edit because it's interface is more based on subtractive synthesis. But I doubt it will sound as strong as the DX7 / 21 and TX81Z: don't forget these are are 12 bit, it does influence the sound. You could also look at the FS1R and TX81z. Apparently these are also slightly easier to edit, and people regard them as the best FM synths around.

i can buy a cz5000 for

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

6 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2008-08-11 23:28:58)

I think 130 is okay. Personally I'd buy one for that price. It's not a steal (well in a way it is, if you really like CZ synths) but it's certainly not a rip-off. I paid 150 for my 2nd CZ101, and they are even trying to sell them for 200 - 250 nowadays, but the CZ5000 is really 'more synth', if you can spare the space for such a synth. I mean, they are a bit erm... Casio...

the fs1r is a complicated beast.. there are some easy editing possibilities, but if you dive in deeper, it puts a kawai k5000 to shame.. it also doesnt sound as raw as the original dx series..

"If you take an afternoon to check out the contols on the DX its pretty easy to program, the interface of the DX7 and other DX's is pretty intuitive."

really? what about that Karl-Bartos-quitting-Kraftwerk-because-they-forced-him-to-learn-to-program-it story? smile

no but seriously, I totally buy the 12-bit argument and wouldn't really expect the dx200 to sound as good as the dx7 etc. But for me it's a trade-off between tweakability/ease of use and the sounds it can make. The fact is I'm not THAT much in to the FM sound to justify getting and learning one of the DX's for instance (considering the space, money, time it takes), I just want something that gets me in the ballpark, and pretty quick at that. But the TX81Z seems nice for sure. It has multitimbrality and velocity & aftertouch (which I'm not sure the dx200 has? correct me if I'm wrong) Plus it uses only 4 operators which makes it easier to program (?)

9 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-08-12 01:01:52)

For me the best DX so far is the DX7IID (which is the same as the DX7IIFD which got a floppy drive), it has a unison mode which greatly changes the sonic capabilities, basses become way more thicker and "analog-like" and you can make more realistic choir sounds.
(To hear one in action, everything here except the drums is made with the DX7IID http://strangeliferecords.blogspot.com/ … rizon.html)

TX81z can be heard in action here on the Ross 154 album http://www.clone.nl/item6482.html

A tx81z is quite difficult to program as its in a rack, at least for me I hate programming stuff in a rack...but there are some good editors for it. Remember that the TX81z/DX11 is different then the other 4 operator DX's because you can choose different waveforms instead of just sine waves.
4 or 6 operators shouldn't really matter in more difficult/easier because its basicly the same you just can choose more algorhythms and 2 extra operator out levels and envelope generators.

The best 4 operator FM synth imo after the DX11/TX81z is the DX21, because it has an analog chorus and you can layer 2 sounds. Most stuff here http://strangeliferecords.blogspot.com/ … nburg.html is made with the DX21.

Overdose Casio CZ = Berlin take my breath away sound

10 (edited by cimabot 2008-08-12 09:04:04)

I have a CZ 5000, and whilst being complex to program it can actually be good fun as the OS on it is really simple, as almost everything is accessible through a big square button :-), no sub-sub-sub menus, but obviously getting familiar with PD synthesis is key.

Personally I am only starting to explore it deeply, and at the beginning I had great fun with a huge patches book that came with the CZ.

Space sitar galore!!!! :-D

add: the sequencer on the 5000 is coolex!

t_k wrote:

what about that Karl-Bartos-quitting-Kraftwerk-because-they-forced-him-to-learn-to-program-it story? smile

hahaha, is that true ? where can i read this story ?

" Karl , you are not leevink ze ztudio before you know how to vork zis maschine "