Topic: Merging audio in a cable?

I wanna merge my 808's separate Snare/Clap out to one (balanced) input on the soundcard, and the same goes for the open/closed hihats.

So I got me a bunch of these y-cable-things;

http://www.thomann.de/se/cordial_adapte … inke_2.htm

But when i tried it, it only merged the audio if i sort of half pulled the plug from the y-cable-things out a litte bit.

So I called my tech guy and asked "what up doe!?".. And he tells me this cable is not really suited for this task, and it could even short out and possibly damage the outputs of the 808. Not good!..

So when I ask around people tell me that its possible to solder in some resistors n shit in the y splitter and bobs your uncle. So I get the guy to make one to see if it works and sure, it merges the channels like it should.. Only problem is that i lose ALOT of volume.

So..

Can you change something in the cable so the audio merge a bit louder? Is there some better way to do this outside of getting a mixer? I just wanna merge 2 outs for gods sake!

Anyway if this shit dont make any sense its probably cause im about to crash.. Good night!

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Re: Merging audio in a cable?

Oh yeah, did a A/B RNS test on the snare and:

cable straight to soundcard: -23 DB
cable via splitter: -10 DB

Daamn!.. It's like half volume (which is sort of logical i guess)

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

3 (edited by Orbweaver 2010-12-01 13:40:31)

BMX wrote:

solder in some resistors n shit in the y splitter and bobs your uncle.

hahahahahahaha yikes

I wonder if he used just to high a value with the resistors? I'd experiment with a lower tolerance, not too low ya know but more of a happy medium?

eh, maybe in lieu of a resistor how about a trimmer? Providing theres enough space for it (but they're tiny anyway) but as I'm sure you know, you can vary that resistance rather than swapping out resistor after resistor.

Whats the backside of lower tolerance?

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

5 (edited by Orbweaver 2010-12-01 14:32:50)

I should've said resistance instead of tolerance.....

Tolerance is applicable when selecting resistors of course but in that post I should of said resistance. What size resistor(s) are being used?

Tolerance shouldnt matter a whole lot..... 1%,5% and 10%. You're probably somewhere in that range. Lower is always better though.

Right, well, resistance then big_smile .. Anyway, talked to the guy and hes gonna try 10k on the next one. In the end, i can always gain up a bit digitally since im recording in 24 bit anyway.

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

7 (edited by Orbweaver 2010-12-01 15:24:50)

going to 10k then, but what'd he originally have in there?

Ask him what he thinks of possibly using a trimmer.....say something like a 20-50k and you guys can slowly bring the resistance down, fine tuning the output all the while.

I dont know, i think he matched whatever is in the 808s internal mixer. I asked about trimmer but i dont think it would fit in the shaft of the jack like a resistor does. It's a good idea tho!

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

gotcha...

I was under the impression you were working in the box near the outputs. Yeah, much easier to modify a cable (reminds me of your Silent Way suggestion.)

cheers

10 (edited by alex_d_steak 2010-12-01 21:08:57)

damn, BMX, you need a mixer big_smile

Seriously, to be able to properly mix two (or more) signals, you have to go through an OpAmp... all the rest is not going
to lead to good results...

Anyways using an OpAmp is not that difficult, but it is not a passive component, so you would have to make a small PCB,
supply it some STRÖM and then regulate the input levels with some pots... Basically, you get a mixer tongue

Honestly, something small like this could solve your problems in a flash:
http://www.bswusa.com/assets/product_images/large/art_powermixii.jpg

but then... Why don't you get an 8 channel mixer so you can do more stuff? :PPPP

a.

PS: if you really insist avoid on using a proper mixer, have a look at this webpage:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/linesum.html

and this one:
http://www.all-electric.com/schematic/simp_mix.htm

Those Rane 1u mixer would also give you 6:2 mixing for 2 busses.

Well.. Isnt this pretty much a passive mixer then.. Anyway, I wanna merge more than one out so one mini-mixer per channel = suck. Also, the whole point is that i want them separately into the soundcard.

edit: Hey steak, i think the first link you posted is pretty much exactly what im getting done

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

I got my racks filled up with crap already.. What i want is really just a passive sound merger.

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

alex_d_steak wrote:

PS: if you really insist avoid on using a proper mixer, have a look at this webpage:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/linesum.html

Yup, its exactly this even

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

+1 streak! these links are great to keep on file, thx!

worship the potentiometer.

16 (edited by alex_d_steak 2010-12-03 01:07:10)

these are general circuits that can be used in pretty much any audio applications.. actually they could be a module of a
modular synthesizer big_smile

But.... I still think that everyone should have a mixer big_smile

a.

lol, im reading this thread and think ''damn bmx, you need a mixer!'' at exactly the time im reading alex posting just this..

man, you seem to go through all this trouble just to avoid buying a small mixer. i don't understand it..  did someone smack you on the head with one when you were little bmx?  big_smile

ok.....
now im laughin.....

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

I got bad mixerphobia.. But anyway, im set now!.. Got the cables in my pocket, going home to try em out a bit later. Hellayea

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

@Rude66
maybe we should show the young man how to use the mixer as a creative instrument.... smile smile smile

yeah, he's obvioulsly a misguided soul... smile

if you use one ringed 2 way to 1 way 1 ringed 6.3 jacks it should work?

i merged 2 Roland R8ms via 8 of these y cables for a long time, works like it should

Septic; I think it got something to do with the grounding, cause a ungrounded one works (but i hear its not good for the equipment)

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

BMX wrote:

Septic; I think it got something to do with the grounding, cause a ungrounded one works (but i hear its not good for the equipment)

yeah when you use a standard stereo > 2 x mono plug you got one ring unconnected.
if you use 1 x mono > 2 x mono then you wont have a floating ring...

maybe some tech can shine a light on the matter?

http://www.thomann.de/se/cordial_adapte … inke_2.htm But this thing is mono right .. and it does not work

CRACKED BY MR. Z...