Re: Should I buy...

I really like those boss-units. They sound really good but not clean and they can also handle loud inputs and harsh signals. Brian is using my rrv-10 at the moment and I believe he's pretty ok with it. The 5 x 9v powersupply unit is also handy but I found out its only good for small effects and pedals. My 303 and 606 for instance dont work on it..

hans olof wrote:

thanks freek. i figured it would be something like that. im hoping the rrv-10 is bad enough to replace the reverb of my broken rex50.

TB or not TB

Freek waar verkopen ze die powersupply's met 5x 9 volt uit?

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

Freek wrote:

I really like those boss-units. They sound really good but not clean and they can also handle loud inputs and harsh signals. Brian is using my rrv-10 at the moment and I believe he's pretty ok with it. The 5 x 9v powersupply unit is also handy but I found out its only good for small effects and pedals. My 303 and 606 for instance dont work on it..

hans olof wrote:

thanks freek. i figured it would be something like that. im hoping the rrv-10 is bad enough to replace the reverb of my broken rex50.

yeah, i have a feeling im gonna need more than just one of these micro racks...
i offered the guy 65 euros but he said no... 50 is enough big_smile
so i can use a standard 9v boss power supply for these?

hans olof wrote:
Freek wrote:

hans olof wrote:

yeah, i have a feeling im gonna need more than just one of these micro racks...
i offered the guy 65 euros but he said no... 50 is enough big_smile
so i can use a standard 9v boss power supply for these?

50 is a great deal, nice one!

and yes its best is to use a standard Boss adapter otherwise it can get noisy.. But if you are planning on buying more units you might wanna consider the RPW7 Ive mentioned..

TB or not TB

The reverb is rather nice, but noisy (hummy) indeed. Must be the psu, probably needs more amperes.

Any opinions on x0xb0x Source? I'm looking for an assembled x0xb0x , are there any other places i should check?

I have one from mode machines, which is the same as Touched by Sound and (supposedly) Technology Transplant. This quote is from the x0xb0x forum.

just to add here I've worked on a few kits that were bought from Touched by Sound. They are simply Technology Transplant kits that have been built and a sticker put on them. That being said, I have found the Technology Transplant kits are good in some respects and bad in others.

The good:
1. polyester foil caps like original TB-303
2. appropriate transistors
4. includes headers and cables with connectors
3. generally sounds very good

The bad:
1. Some parts are a little sketchy. Some of the cheap pots do not rotate the usual amount, they come up several degrees short on each end of rotation.
2. knobs are kind of ugly, large, and sit high on the pot shaft. Not horrible though, more personal opinion than anything.

Also, in regards to the two Touched by Sound boxes that I have worked on the soldering was not great. Most of the connections were ok, but any connections to large solder pads or to ground plane (pot shafts etc..) were not good. The solder used was either lead free or no clean and it seems the iron used was not appropriate and not high enough temperature, so there were balls and blobs of solder on several of these connections.

I have to add that mine came with a pcu without bootloader, but they (Mode Machines / Touched By Sound)  send me a new one within days.  They admitted that a batch went out with these faulty chips and you'll see more people with this issue on the x0xb0x forums. Also when I opened mine I had a quick look and the parts seemed of good quality and the soldering was neatly done. Even the pots seem to go full angle, except the resonance one, it could visually go a small degree further. All in all I think it sounds great and suits my wishes, although I have not yet compared it to a 303. Right now I use SokkOs and it's great for live. Only honest worry I'm confronted with is to not make things too acid. I don't like acid wink

How much is a Roland PG-10 worth? Anyone know? There's one on eBay right now for $200. I'm not looking to buy it but just wondering about the price as that seems a bit .... crazy?

Brian Chinetti wrote:

I have one from mode machines, which is the same as Touched by Sound and (supposedly) Technology Transplant. This quote is from the x0xb0x forum.

just to add here I've worked on a few kits that were bought from Touched by Sound. They are simply Technology Transplant kits that have been built and a sticker put on them. That being said, I have found the Technology Transplant kits are good in some respects and bad in others.

The good:
1. polyester foil caps like original TB-303
2. appropriate transistors
4. includes headers and cables with connectors
3. generally sounds very good

The bad:
1. Some parts are a little sketchy. Some of the cheap pots do not rotate the usual amount, they come up several degrees short on each end of rotation.
2. knobs are kind of ugly, large, and sit high on the pot shaft. Not horrible though, more personal opinion than anything.

Also, in regards to the two Touched by Sound boxes that I have worked on the soldering was not great. Most of the connections were ok, but any connections to large solder pads or to ground plane (pot shafts etc..) were not good. The solder used was either lead free or no clean and it seems the iron used was not appropriate and not high enough temperature, so there were balls and blobs of solder on several of these connections.

I have to add that mine came with a pcu without bootloader, but they (Mode Machines / Touched By Sound)  send me a new one within days.  They admitted that a batch went out with these faulty chips and you'll see more people with this issue on the x0xb0x forums. Also when I opened mine I had a quick look and the parts seemed of good quality and the soldering was neatly done. Even the pots seem to go full angle, except the resonance one, it could visually go a small degree further. All in all I think it sounds great and suits my wishes, although I have not yet compared it to a 303. Right now I use SokkOs and it's great for live. Only honest worry I'm confronted with is to not make things too acid. I don't like acid wink

interesting thread here for all x0xb0x owners: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph … mp;t=18322

1,685 (edited by Septicstudio 2010-12-06 09:31:30)

mono-poly wrote:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/boss_pcs20a_st … skabel.htm

http://a2.images6.thomann.de/pics/prod/160134.jpg

or:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/g_lab_pb1_power_supply.htm

http://a1.images6.thomann.de/pics/bdb/233232/1691550_800.jpg

mono-poly wrote:

sorry ik had je post niet gezien, zag 'm nu pas na septics post. Ik heb de mijne samen met een delay op marktplaats gekocht, je ziet ze daar regelmatig voor weinig. De daisy-chains met een beetje lengte vinden was lastiger dus die heb ik zelf geknutseld..

TB or not TB

mono, i've found that the power boxes are much more stable than using the daisy chain method, i've used both for guitar pedals and have found drain issues using the daisy's.

worship the potentiometer.

Ok cool.
The price seems a bit retarted imo.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

yeah that seems pretty high in price, here's one for around $99 in the US:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ … D=44237327

and a bit more is the voodoo labs which is the one i've used and know a lot of other folks that use em.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ … =product_A

worship the potentiometer.

I would like to buy a decent MIDI module with realistic acoustic sounds that's multi-timbral what's the reccomendations??
Roland JV/XV series I'm thinking, I saw a JV-1010 for only $300AUD or should i get a JV-2080 for $500 AUD?

Could anyone tell me how much a Roland PG-10 goes for?

leftcorporation wrote:

I would like to buy a decent MIDI module with realistic acoustic sounds that's multi-timbral what's the reccomendations??
Roland JV/XV series I'm thinking, I saw a JV-1010 for only $300AUD or should i get a JV-2080 for $500 AUD?

Get a Yamaha Motif ES rack smile

Roland Juno 6 for £350??

What on earth is a decent price for a SCI Six~Trak?

I have found a Dynacord Echocord 100 in the locals for 100eur, has anyone ever tried one of these?
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3774/big417356img0001.jpg

mekonin:
i have that one..and it´s pretty good sounding, only bad thing is that you can´t change the tape speed.
but you can sync echoes for recorded material with ableton..so to me it´s not really problem.

we have been using it in almost every morphology track also

Interesting, so you speed up or slow down the Ableton file to match the delay speed on the tape?

I used my Revox as a tape echo last week and did the same.

1,698 (edited by nakoradiomies 2010-12-13 18:16:40)

just put the clean audio in to ableton, then set the clip in to re-pitch mode and then route that audio from ableton into your tapedelay and find the right tempo with ableton´s master bpm..

then just record the audio with tapedelay back into ableton and then set that re-pitch mode into the new audio what you just recorded..

then put that master bpm in to what it was before and that`s it!

okay this really is not the same thing but it works pretty well, and you can use this same procedure for coloring up your sounds aswell.

hope you can get the idea, good finglish going on there..

Ok I get it, very similar to what I was doing, very good trick!  The Revox has some speed adjustment so you can get close before changing the master pitch.

Finglish, that's funny, I'm probably more accustomed to finglish that you think, I have 2 friends with finnish moms.  I even know a finnish Xmas song.

kulkuset?