Topic: i'll mod your monotron

www.monotronmods.com

a little bit of help for those not so handy with the soldering iron..

Re: i'll mod your monotron

Hey, that's pretty damn nice of you.

I heard there was a midi mod for it kicking about as well, this true?

not as such, but you can use the cv/gate inputs for an additional box with a built in midi/cv converter. or build your own..

its weird though.. with normal cv/gate inputs, the pitch is pretty high from my xoxbox. actually too high. if i invert the cv and gate inputs, it sounds better already, and if i leave the gate in the cv input and connect the cv to the filter cv input, it sounds like a very dirty acid machine.. then the filter doesn't work anymore on incoming notes, but it does on anything you play on the keyboard. so you can play an acid line, and in between do these crazy modulation touch sounds.

this turns into real fun when you plug the output into another monotron, so you have a usable filter again.. its insane, i could do a whole live set with just an 808/909 and 2 monotrons sequenced by the xoxbox.

if i have time one of these days, i'll make a video..

yes video's or it didn't happen wink

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

so this is for v/oct cv and not hz/v? it would be great to use the monotron as a second voice for the ms-10. but then again v/oct allows more options for sequencing... would be interesting to hear some tests!

Is the Monotron v/oct or hz/v???

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

v/oct.

video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekHfm8ICrpw[/youtube]

awesome vid rude! it's nice to see some of the nuances w/ the machine in detail!

worship the potentiometer.

very nice video Rude

Rude, it puzzles me why in the video your Monotron initially plays the sequence in such a high pitch ?
I just checked and mine plays notes as high or low as i want...?
Tracked perfectly over 5 octaves.
The Monotron's VCO Pitch knob has a range of over 5 octaves, but with that knob set to almost
far left, notes are just as low as played on the controlling synth.

I'm pretty sure we both did the same mod , didn't we ?
Only differences are i don't have the cv/filter cable connected to the box
and, as you pointed out to me, inside the break out box i still don't have the grounds connected to anything big_smile

are you using the x0x to sequence also?

yes, i use the xoxbox to sequence, it was the handiest thing available.

mr pauli: i tries with and without the ground connected, but it makes no difference to the pitch. for some reason mine didn't work at all with the gnd disconnected..
what do you use to sequence it? i'll try tomorrow to use it via midi-cv/gate, see how the tracking is there. what do you mean about the cv/filter? that you don't have that part of the mod installed? or that it doesn't work?

@ Ronin: no xoxbox. I just use my MPC.  But could it really make a difference where the midi notes are coming from ?
Midi notes are midi notes...
And I use a Syntecno TeeBee as midi-CV converter. But again; it shouldn't matter what machine does the midi-CV, should it ?
... midi-CV is midi-CV... unless of course the converter is broken smile

@ Rude : yeah i really don't know why mine works without any ground connected, hehehe...just lucky i guess.
About the cv/filter i mean i made the mod, but i just don't have a cv cable plugged in. Just use the Gate and cv/pitch.
And come to think of it, didn't the dinsync guy mention in his video something about the cv/filter affecting the pitch in the Monotron????

well from what i can make out, rudes monotron triggers at an inaccurate pitch because it's being sequenced straight from the x0x without any midi/cv conversion. so the problems he is encountering are x0x related and not cv mod related. and i think it was the gate that affected the pitch with the dinsync mod.

What matters is that it looks cool

i'm still not sure what the trim pot is for exactly

ronin wrote:

i'm still not sure what the trim pot is for exactly

That pot adjusts the keyboard scaling.
Just like the tiny one on the back of the Monotron itself.
...adjusting these two untill you've got the right scale can actually be a bit tedious smile

after doing some testing in cubase today, ronin is entirely right. this behaviour is caused by the xoxbox and not the mod, via the teebee the thing goes perfect from lo to high notes. only reason i didnt use the teebee in the first place is that the back of mine is almost inaccessible, and the xoxbox is..

so yes, with this mod it tracks normally via midi-cv/gate!

rude66 wrote:

after doing some testing in cubase today, ronin is entirely right. this behaviour is caused by the xoxbox and not the mod, via the teebee the thing goes perfect from lo to high notes. only reason i didnt use the teebee in the first place is that the back of mine is almost inaccessible, and the xoxbox is..

so yes, with this mod it tracks normally via midi-cv/gate!

What could the difference between the Teebee and X0XB0X signal? did you already try to connect an external synth to the X0XB0X cv-gate out?
I considered buying a X0XB0X in the future but for me its pretty useless without proper cv/gate-outs..

TB or not TB

For those who're interested, today opened a monotron group on soundcloud.
http://soundcloud.com/groups/korg-monotron/tracks

Lekker aan het modderen Ruud? wink

i've done about 10 so far..