Re: Should I buy...

nakoradiomies wrote:

mekonin:
i have that one..and it´s pretty good sounding, only bad thing is that you can´t change the tape speed.
but you can sync echoes for recorded material with ableton..so to me it´s not really problem.

we have been using it in almost every morphology track also

Thanks for the reply, nakoradiomies. It's a shame about the tape speed, especially 'cause I don't use a computer for anything except recording. Maybe it is possible to do a tape speed mod? One more thing, is your unit capable of self oscillation?

i think you can mod it easily if you understand electronics..but if you figure out some mod let me know also!
and of course it does self oscillation, it´s a tape delay!

nakoradiomies wrote:

i think you can mod it easily if you understand electronics..but if you figure out some mod let me know also!

My RE-201 does not, in fact it has too short of a delay time for me. I got it in pretty bad shape, my tech fixed it but still no self oscillation, with the 'Intensity' knob turned fully to the right, I get about 3 to 4 sec of delay time max. The tape it has is pretty old but not used too much, maybe I could change it so that it could bounce back more, I really don't know.

1,704 (edited by TONY COPS 2010-12-14 17:37:53)

@CRC

Tonttujen Jouluyo.

Hearing it on youtube I realize they were just making us sing the easy parts, haha.

mekonin wrote:
nakoradiomies wrote:

My RE-201 does not, in fact it has too short of a delay time for me. I got it in pretty bad shape, my tech fixed it but still no self oscillation, with the 'Intensity' knob turned fully to the right, I get about 3 to 4 sec of delay time max. The tape it has is pretty old but not used too much, maybe I could change it so that it could bounce back more, I really don't know.

I just adjusted my RE-101, from a state similar to yours to working 100% and sounding great.

It's likely that your tape doesn't have enough pressure applied to it.  The little blade with a foam that pushes the tape before the heads might need to be adjusted.

I changed my tape at the same time and it was worth it.  The sound was distorted and a previous tape jam made little kinks in the tape and you could hear it bounce when these hi the heads.

TONY COPS wrote:
mekonin wrote:
nakoradiomies wrote:

I just adjusted my RE-101, from a state similar to yours to working 100% and sounding great.

It's likely that your tape doesn't have enough pressure applied to it.  The little blade with a foam that pushes the tape before the heads might need to be adjusted.

I changed my tape at the same time and it was worth it.  The sound was distorted and a previous tape jam made little kinks in the tape and you could hear it bounce when these hi the heads.

OK, I'll try that, thanks. Hope that the manual explains the procedure. I'm fairly happy with the sound the tape makes, so it's just the delay time that bothers me, but still, where did you get the spare tape?

I don't know if the manual explains that specifically.  Basically the little arm/blade has to apply sufficient pressure on the tape to keep a certain tension on the tape heads.

I make my own tape out of Fuji FM consumer tape.  I use a cheapo plastic tape splicer I bought at an old radio store.

Most consumer tapes are ok, just make sure not to use mastering/studio tape as they are not lubricated and will wear down tape heads.

The best stuff apparently is the Dynamax tapes, used on radio commercial tape cartridges.

http://www.cartguys.com/ctr_prices.htm#anchor973579

1,708 (edited by nakoradiomies 2010-12-14 18:44:19)

oh yeah..i just remeber that i had some photos from the echocord 100 also

http://nakoradiomies.1g.fi/echocord/

mekonin: you can buy ready tape loops for various tapedelays from finland, which is nice..

1,709 (edited by plikestechno 2010-12-14 20:11:45)

Should I trade my Microkorg for a Mandala 2.0 pad with all software and accesories? Anybody here ever used one? I love me a drum synth.  I don't like that it is tied to the computer all the time but like that it has MIDI at least as opposed to the Wavedrum.

I just like my Microkorg too much methinks. I just wish I had the 280 he was asking for the Mandala.

1,710 (edited by mekonin 2010-12-16 10:34:46)

TONY COPS wrote:

I don't know if the manual explains that specifically.  Basically the little arm/blade has to apply sufficient pressure on the tape to keep a certain tension on the tape heads.

I make my own tape out of Fuji FM consumer tape.  I use a cheapo plastic tape splicer I bought at an old radio store.

Most consumer tapes are ok, just make sure not to use mastering/studio tape as they are not lubricated and will wear down tape heads.

The best stuff apparently is the Dynamax tapes, used on radio commercial tape cartridges.

http://www.cartguys.com/ctr_prices.htm#anchor973579

I tried adjusting the blade to give more tension to the tape, what I got was longer repeat rate and a bit less highs on the output, but no longer delay time.

Sorry I re-read your initial post just to make sure, does your tape echo not self-oscillate when the intensity knob is at 100%?

If it's only for a few seconds and it's not pressure, it could be that the heads are worn, need demagnetizing or that the tape is too old.

TONY COPS wrote:

Sorry I re-read your initial post just to make sure, does your tape echo not self-oscillate when the intensity knob is at 100%?

If it's only for a few seconds and it's not pressure, it could be that the heads are worn, need demagnetizing or that the tape is too old.

Right, I get 3 to 4 seconds of delay time tops when the intensity knob is at 100%. I'll try and get the spare tape, hope that I won't need to replace the heads 'cause I can already smell trouble finding them anywhere near. What I heard about demagnetizing is that it can only improve the quality of sound... Congrats on the ARP btw!

I'd b very surprised if it was the heads, I haven't demag'ed mine and I doubt I'm missing much, I might do it at some point.

good luck!

http://www.mytapeecho.com/ i use this, works well so far!

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

mytapeecho.com seems to have a sale on right now as well.  I just ordered a 4-pack of loops yesterday for my 201 and it came to about $30 CAD, including shipping.

@uni

I wish I had a 201, so yours works fine apart from the input?
You said you prefer the instr. in, how do you use it your setup?

1,717 (edited by unicity 2010-12-16 20:50:51)

I typically used the 501 inline with whatever, and that's probably how I'll end up using the 201.  If I do want it on a DAW or mixer send I imagine I'll use the "From PA" input.

And I actually fixed the instrument input!  The tip of the echo/normal toggle switch that the instrument input uses is broken off, but it turns out that the switch was just stuck in between so no signal was going through.  I used a little mini screwdriver to push the nub of the switch over to "echo", and now the input is fine.  This was the main reason it was so cheap, so I'm happy it was an easy fix.  big_smile

Badly needs new tape, but yeah everything seems fine.  I'll be cleaning the heads once my loops arrive, but I don't think I'll demag either.

TONY COPS wrote:

I'd b very surprised if it was the heads, I haven't demag'ed mine and I doubt I'm missing much, I might do it at some point.

good luck!

I fixed the delay time, I had a quick look at the service manual and found out that there are two trim pots on OP-14B echo board, VR12 for the intensity and VR21 for repeat level. I played with them for awhile 'till I got the desired delay time, so now it self-oscillates beautifully. Btw, the manual states that the echo should go into self-oscillation if all the inputs are down, the Repeat Rate knob is at 12 o'clock and the Intensity knob is at 1 or 2 o'clock. There's also a VR22 if I am correct that is for adjusting bias, didn't want to fiddle with that one but does anyone know what this pot is for exactly? The manual is very vague about it.

That's great news!

Thanks for the info, I think mine is not that far from the procedure.

JX-3P plus PG-200 for $300?

I had a 3P long ago, but never with the PG.  Would you replace a 106 with a 3P?  I'm tempted.

unicity wrote:

I had a 3P long ago, but never with the PG.  Would you replace a 106 with a 3P?  I'm tempted.

I would...

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

unicity wrote:

That's a bargain. Grab it!

that's not too bad of a price considering the way people jack up the price for any roland synth that comes with its programmer, but as far as replacing your 106 I just have to say that when I am cremated I would just wish to have my ashes melted into a new set of plastic end caps for my 106

yeah boyeee

1,724 (edited by olivier8 2010-12-23 23:26:03)

@ Unicity

fuck yeah go for it.. but i'd keep the 106 as well if i had one

what about DBX Dual compressor for 100€??
Edit/ Nevermind got it

akai gx260-d . what's good price for one of these? is it good? i've no experience with these ... thx