1 (edited by ZeHa 2010-12-27 15:42:46)

Topic: New stuff sucks

Hello,

I just wondered if I'm the only one who sometimes (or should I say always?) gets this feeling that everything new simply sucks. Of course with the exception of our beloved unknown underground stuff. But the sad thing is, that the world consists mainly of mainstream stuff, and why is everything sucking so hard?

I just watched some new computer game trailers... which just sucked. All the new games look the same, they're all in 3D, movements look totally foolish, you have tons of controls, you don't capture all the action that's going on, you have to get help from the game itself ("press X now to stomp on his head" appears when you happen to stand in the correct place), you don't play the games anymore, because they almost play themselves...

Not just the games, also the trailers suck. Every trailer is the same. Games and movies alike. EVERY fucking trailer. Whenever I see these stupid texts that slowly zoom and fade, in a cheap photoshop-preset-manner, along with some shady effects, I almost puke. The scenes shown in between are the same as well, it's always the same scheme, I just can't stand it anymore. And you can always feel how cool the people were feeling while creating it, not realizing how stupid their creations are.

Next thing, I refer to it as "meta-data". Why is it so important for most people WHO created something, WHO's playing in a movie, HOW many cables got used and HOW many dollar$ got burned. Why do I have to read not only "from the creators of" in EVERY trailer, but recently also stuff like "with the camera of Avatar" (I am NOT joking here). Why does the new Harry Potter trailer have a completely stupid phrase in it, something like "the last part of the phenomenon". Why do I have to advertise my movie by telling everybody that it's a phenomenon, why can't I just say "the last part of the saga" or something that is actually related to the movie. Why don't they even realize that everybody already knows that Harry Potter is a phenomenon. Why do they start to add review quotes from magazines to their trailers. Why do people need to be convinced by meta-data things like these if the movie is such a masterpiece.

Why do people say things like "I like all movies with Tom Hanks". Why do people ask me, when I propose a movie, "are there any well-known actors in it", and tell me that they don't want to see it if my answer is "no". Why do people need to have the security of knowing that a song is known on radio and TV in order to like it. Why do they ignore music when they know that it's something "unknown". Why is the first thing I hear about a movie a phrase like "amazing special effects". Why do people tell me stuff like "it's one of the most expensive movies ever made" to convince me to see it.

Why do people use stupid tag lines for movies and games. Why is it always completely ridiculous sounding stuff like "A man. A gun. A mission". Why don't they realize the ridiculousness. Why do they think it sounds cool. Why do I feel so alone with that opinion. Why do hollywood dialogues always sound so artificial. Why does every movie contain a scene where someone slowly says "oh.. my.. god".

Why is it impossible nowadays to hear a song without autotune. Why do even rock bands like Kiss use autotune for their background vocals on the new album. Why do they even record a new album with mediocre wannabe songs (except for track 1). Why do guitars on new albums sound as if they recorded each chord seperately and then built the riffs in a drum-machine-like manner. Why do all the new "popular" albums sound so artifical and over-perfect. Why does nobody realize that old classic songs are so strong because they sound real and natural. Why do mastering engineers compress the shit out of everything when they should know better.

Why is every second blog article or book title something like "10 reasons why you should [...]" and why do I always feel like the author did really only find 7 reasons and was desperately looking for 3 more.

Why is every video that I like to watch not available in my country.

Ahhh I just can't stand it anymore.

---

PS: When the 2012 movie came out, I told a friend that I imagine it being a movie where people in business dresses are standing around in a skyscraper, looking out of the glass walls, one of them being a black guy with a serious look on his face, slowly saying "Oh shit".
My friend said, yeah, the movie is exactly like that.

Re: New stuff sucks

because people are very, very stupid.

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

This won't change nor improve.. Happy new year ZeHa  wink

You're preaching to the choir, ZeHa. At least you can take comfort in the fact that you are not alone in your opinions.

almost always tv and computer screens are used to lull your mind into a hypnotic state before they dump all this garbage into it, typically using nlp techniques like making statements you will agree with in a succession to drop the last statement they want you to agree on at the end

yeah boyeee

Cause there's a lot of shit to avoid.

"Are you loving?"

Zeha, as soon as you realize the difference between opinion and fact maybe you'll have a fighting chance at recovery.  Lots of people liked 2012 and their reasons are as valid as yours are for liking italo or whatever.

Everything old was new once. Deep innit

cuties don't exert

majority of people are stupid

rise of middle class->stupid people have money, are targeted consumers, and are empowered to be producers by their own consumption

=more shit made by and for stupid people

am drunk.  that probably sounded terrible.  will edit tomorrow

mushaden wrote:

majority of people are stupid
rise of middle class->stupid people have money, are targeted consumers, and are empowered to be producers by their own consumption
=more shit made by and for stupid people
am drunk.  that probably sounded terrible.  will edit tomorrow

in vino veritas!

@ ZeHa
funny, went to the cinema yesterday and when i saw the poster of "skyline" i had exactly the same thoughts. there was a big line on top of the poster: von den machern von 300 und alien vs. predator 2. another thing that really annoys me is that why do the germans like to copy movie titles, phrases and even whole plots of other movies and then make a shitty comedy out of the original? is that a typical german thing or do they have that in other countries too?

latest example:

http://bummelkino.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Ottos-Eleven.jpg

I suspect the French do it as well, but I am not sure.

Mr. Maximal wrote:

Everybody do that and everywhere.. Why not suck to the bone what has worked previously ? This belongs to nowadays' policy no?
... We even got an american "version" of "le diner de con" ! so...

aratkiLo wrote:
Mr. Maximal wrote:

Everybody do that and everywhere.. Why not suck to the bone what has worked previously ? This belongs to nowadays' policy no?

Copying can be funny, check the Bollywood Industry for example...  smile

NEON LIGHT RULE THE NIGHT

www.myspace.com/sonnycrockett78

Sonny Crockett wrote:

Copying can be funny, check the Bollywood Industry for example...

or Mel Brooks movies..  wink

Hey come on don't get me wrong..
Yes it can be funny ! There's creative copying and suckcopying .. U know what I mean wink

Well I once heard a good comment by some TV critic, he said something like "if you watch old TV shows, they can be bad and maybe embarrassing as well, just as today's shows, but nonetheless you just feel that the people back then put their heart in it and someone who directed it actually tried to make a good show; no matter how stupid it may be, someone was still believing in it".

And that sums it up quite nicely, I think. Nowadays, it just seems like no one is putting his heart into it anymore. I think that's also the reason why we like many Italo records. They may be cheesy and sometimes even a bit stupid, but somehow you feel that the creators were really believing in the songs and tried to give their best. Of course there were also very commercial-sounding records back then, but I think you all know what I'm talking about. For example, the "oho oho" in "Eagles in the Night" really sounds weird, but it's still sympathetic and one of the reasons why the song is so great.

But even commercial stuff was better back then. If you listen to stuff like Huey Lewis & the News (one of my favorite bands), you should realize that the music is really good. No doubt about it. You might not like it, but everyone who knows a tiny bit about music should be able to notice that this stuff is really good. And this stuff was mainstream back then, along with tons of other good music. I think back then, the mainstream consisted to a higher amount of a few lucky bands/artists that simply got discovered and then of course commercially marketed, but nowadays, most stuff is directly created just for marketing. And the few exceptions that might still exist are bent and shaped so that they fit in.

When is old? The 1980s?

cuties don't exert

I'd say 80s is old enough... they had commercial stuff then but the quality was still higher than nowadays' stuff. 90s were already clearly a decade of transition. In the 60s and 70s, I have the feeling that there was no serious difference in quality between well-known und unknown stuff. Of course one might argue and say "You'd say the same things if you had grown up back then", but honestly I don't think so.

aratkiLo wrote:
Mr. Maximal wrote:

Nah, Belgians don't do that: there's not enough money to do it! smile But we have our shitty films as well.

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

ZeHa wrote:

I'd say 80s is old enough... they had commercial stuff then but the quality was still higher than nowadays' stuff. 90s were already clearly a decade of transition. In the 60s and 70s, I have the feeling that there was no serious difference in quality between well-known und unknown stuff. Of course one might argue and say "You'd say the same things if you had grown up back then", but honestly I don't think so.

I once read everything went downhill since "The Monkeys", the first band that was "created".

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

Yeah but at least it took a while until the whole market got flooded with stuff like that big_smile

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQObWW06VAM[/youtube]

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

24 (edited by Kenzaburo 2010-12-28 18:49:24)

Most of the italo was purely made to make money, that stuff is cheesy as hell .. I don't think there was more heart in that than some of the pop today .. It's the same shizz just differently produced. Still there's nothing wrong liking it. There's good stuff now too as there was 20 years, there's just more of everything that equals more crap too. Maybe you just prefer the old stuff .. But true, seldom anybody takes any risks.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhS2G1plsvU[/youtube]