Re: New stuff sucks

nite jewel is new and apparently the second best in the world  big_smile

@Zeha

Like said. Everything that was made was new once. Much of that takes time to get appriciated. How this works? I guess heaps of books can be (are) written about that.

Maybe you're a nostalgic soul?

"Are you loving?"

"most stuff is directly created just for marketing"

The problem is reverse demand; the people swallow (and pay for) what is fed to them in stead of "discovering" things like most people on this forum.

95% of peeps don't actually have any taste in music, they just use it as wallpaper to their lives.

'Process' is being replaced by 'short cuts'. All Analog is being replaced by Digital. People are getting lazy as hell now, and marketing is more powerful than ever - especially with the advanced use of technology to control the masses. People aren't necessarily stupid- it's just getting extremely difficult to survive without the use of these short cuts, apps, iphones, internet, social networking tools, Traktor dj tools, etc. etc. etc... Those things aren't only innovating the way people communicate and function, it's completely standardizing the way we operate/communicate/function/advance.
Back in the day, noone ever complained about how heavy their sack of records were when they dj'd a gig. These days everyone bitches about the slightest bit of inconvenience. Art is supposed to be painful.
Process is dead! That's why most people on this forum stick to the hardware. Rare troopers in this over-sensationalized world of regurgitated, commercial crap.

30 (edited by neudphoto 2010-12-29 10:58:22)

Sorry- it's late at night, i'm drunk and i'm in a ranting mode... heh

what is this all about?, i'm to tired to read

Vlam Aan

@ Mr Max & neud: U said it all ! +10!

33 (edited by MACurious 2010-12-29 11:37:19)

What annoys me is that you immediately get the status of some odd freak just because you don't feel the need to follow the "Zeitgeist". I know exactly one guy who feels the way i feel but after reading this thread i know there are more. Thx.

This is pure nostalgia.

Whatever pop/music the kids seen as a cool in the 80s, the older generation seen it as crap....Same with every decade...and ZeHa it's happening to you as being part of the older generation now wink

Huey Lewis LOL
It'll be bring back Def Leppard and Billy Idol next..

Basic Aly wrote:

This is pure nostalgia.

Whatever pop/music the kids seen as a cool in the 80s, the older generation seen it as crap....Same with every decade...and ZeHa it's happening to you as being part of the older generation now wink

Huey Lewis LOL
It'll be bring back Def Leppard and Billy Idol next..

+1. Nostalgia is dangerous as it locks people's minds to the past instead of creating and experiencing new things.

i always hear a lot of people say, oh there's no integrity in stuff nowadays. i think thats an easy cop out. theres always been a lack of integrity in most things, same as now. and anyway, who says what is integrity anyway, and why should that make any difference.
if it jams, it jams

There's still lots of good stuff around but most people stick to the mainstream which in my opinion is mostly bullshit. When I go out partying here everyone needs to listen to the stuff playing on the radio or MTV. It's very annoying when you don't live in a big city and have to listen to the same shit at parties all the time. I don't expect them to play italo but Paul Kalkbrenner and Black Eyed Peas nonstop is just too much.  hmm

hey its up to u maximal, my town is tiny and all my parties ROCK HAHAHA
its always been shit, the ggod stuff is what comes from those who get through it, so do that now too, get through it  cool

black shape wrote:

hey its up to u maximal, my town is tiny and all my parties ROCK HAHAHA
its always been shit, the ggod stuff is what comes from those who get through it, so do that now too, get through it  cool

I already thought about trying to set something up but it seems impossible to find like-minded people. There are some non-mainstream parties but then it's strictly minimal/tech-house. I know that complaining doesn't make it better but I have no idea where to start...

i make parties where i dont give anyone a choice in music. most of the times its not so busy but xmas was heaving and people were very nice in what they had to say. you'd be suprised how many people hate everything around us big_smile

i cant believe how stubborn people are who complain about technology making life easier and only good can come from suffering.  hyper christian mentality

you'd be suprised how many people hate everything around us

my favourite comment of the year, I think

cuties don't exert

43 (edited by neudphoto 2010-12-29 20:04:16)

cebteq wrote:

i cant believe how stubborn people are who complain about technology making life easier and only good can come from suffering.  hyper christian mentality

well- when i said art is painful, if anything, i was speaking more from an alchemical point of view...
i was talking about how the process of making art is never an easy thing- and if it is then you're probably like Picasso and had so many years of experience with a certain medium that it just comes easy after a while.

and as far as technology making life easier- i never said that- i just said that it creates shortcuts. the point i was trying to make is that its becoming more difficult to survive without the latest technologies. one example is how film projectors are becoming obsolete by video and it's restructuring the marketplace and culture.

for me in art spontaneity requires no effort and as before its all a matter of taste

i dont see why restructuring is necessarily bad unless it involves a lot of waste.  but one thing we save is time and how you put it to use is your freedome of choice

Yes, nostalgia might be a certain factor, but really, I don't think that it's justified to excuse the whole thing with just saying "it's simply nostalgia".

As I said before, I think it's possible to objectively say that old commercial/pop/etc stuff is better than the current stuff. Not true for every single piece of course, but when regarded as a whole. I have an old "pop" compilation from the 80s, and there is a song by Iron Maiden on it, along with stuff like Wham or who knows what. This would be impossible today. And yeah, maybe die-hard metal people even laugh about Iron Maiden, but you can't deny that it's quality music. Just like Huey Lewis big_smile (I somehow have the feeling that some people here didn't like Huey Lewis as an example, but really, that stuff is good compositions, good production (with soul and feeling), people who can play their instruments, and yet it might be commercial-oriented, but who cares, it's got certainly more honesty and trueness than any song by Rihanna)

@ MrWho: Where do you live? I live in Southern Germany and I have the same problem... only mainstream parties, and if there's a non-mainstream party, it's still way too mainstream for me... people can be so ignorant.

Why are people so ignorant? Why can they only move their asses when they KNOW the music?! I can't understand that. We had a small party last year and a friend of mine and me, we were playing live stuff. Of course our own music that no one had ever heard before. But it sure was danceable and also not monotone or something like that. And the people on that party were all friends of us, most of them mainly interested in (commercial) electronic music. So one should expect that even if they all have that "I can only dance to music that I already know from TV"-gene, they could even dance out of solidarity, ignoring the fact that it's maybe not 100% their style. But as you might guess, the dancefloor was almost unused during our performance. They were not even listening. I really can't understand that and I think that this might have been different in the earlier days of techno/electro stuff, when it wasn't as "established" as it is today.

I live in Göttingen which is full of students and I think there are some people who don't like the mainstream parties as well. But it seems that hardly anyone is willing to make an effort to change that.

"Why can they only move their asses when they KNOW the music?!"

Ha, thats true, and the music they know is the crap on the radio...well here in Amsterdam it's not so bad. One of the better places in the world if you into "Robot" genres I guess. See also IFM party on ADE.

@ ZeHa
"Why are people so ignorant? Why can they only move their asses when they KNOW the music?!"
-> i have a pretty nice example for the opposite. i was totally surprised myself when i went to ulm 2 weeks ago to see traxx at eden. the average age of the audiance was like 25 and they were dancing their ass off and freaking out to stuff they've never heard before (at least i think so).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My4KlhY81G8[/youtube]

That sounds good, Ulm is not too far away either btw wink where are you from?

@ Mr. Maximal: The funny (or sad?) thing is that the crap on the radio gets played all day long; some songs get played 4-6 times a day - every day! - and this makes me wonder why people still want to hear it on a party on Friday night, when they already were forced to hear it a thousand times because their radio was on during work for the whole last week(s). Even if they like those songs, I can't understand that!

Hey zeha, without having read all of your text I think I know what you mean.

I probably would have totally agbreed a year ago, but now I'm getting a different feeling recently. And that is that the whole mainstream "creatieve media" insdustry has come to the total end of idea's and collapses while scraping the bottom of the barrel to extract more blood.

So what to enjoy then? There isn't only the crappy mainstream stuff, but loads, I tell you loads of good underground stuff that is more accesible from your home than ever before. I mean it. Take a good look on vimeo, and search for indie-games and documentaries - there is a definetely a new alternative industry starting, that has a reliable future with the ease of giving out donations.

Start with 1 thing: was there ever before a radio station playing only dope stuff you like, not ripping of people and being accesible for everyone in the world? wink

Oh yeah, and to add to your rants: mainstream games are really at the worst state ever at the mo, They're made to give people with an iq of a trashcan succes joy's when having reached the game's goals after the most idiot-save instructions ever. I rather start construcing ikea furniture instead, that's at least challenging.