Topic: x0xb0x eprom

I just got myself a nice mode machines x0xb0x and it came with an eprom chip. whats it for? do I need to have it installed?

2 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2010-12-30 19:03:02)

Re: x0xb0x eprom

Interesting. In the past, some Mode Machine x0xb0xes where shipped with the wrong chip that didn't include the bootloader, which means the chip is locked and you can't update the firmware (ie you can't install a different OS ether). I guess they just sent new chips to everybody selling them, and told them to include them on shipment?

You can determine whether bootload is present by powering on the x0xb0x in 'computer control' mode. If all LED's light up, the processor is locked and you can't update the firmware. Mine had the bootloader issue and Mode Machines sent me a chip too, it is very easy to replace.

Oh, and btw, the x0xb0x uses an AC-AC psu!
I figured I'd tell, cause I once thought I'd be smart and use one of my favored psu's. The x0xb0x powered up and even the sequencer worked, it just didn't make any sound. Took me a while to figure out it was the psu... Rather odd, as normally it would have fried, but I figured I'd warn you so you don't need the luck I had wink

hey Brian, thanks for the heads up. Just heading down to Maplins today to pick up a convertor for the PSU.
I'll let you know wether it has bootlader installed on it, and I might give you a shout to see how to replace it.

Thanks,
P.

it's been a while since I built my xoxbox but I thought all the code lived in the atmel mega162 (which is the actual processor) and the only eeprom was a little 8 pin thing just for patch storage?

not sure why they would send you a second one?

why don't you email them and ask?
:-)

Well, we shouldn't call it eprom or chip, it is indeed the processor that needs to be replaced if bootloader trouble occur. However I'm quite sure Meschi received a processor with his Mode Machines, as problems with the MM processor have been numerous. But yeah, a phone call takes less long than waiting for replies on a forum wink

6 (edited by meschi 2011-01-06 12:17:01)

no-fi wrote:

why don't you email them and ask?
:-)

haha, of course it does, but I was on here, I was in no rush (I still have not turned it on) and it's nice to have a vault of knowledge for anyone wondering in the future... It's nice to find answers on here smile