Topic: Akai GX-4000D reel to reel

Just curious about these units, they seem to be on the market for relatively cheap quite a lot... I take it because they weren't professional units and were quite popular back in the 70's? Would they be any good for studio use? Has anybody got any knowledge on them?

2 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2011-01-10 09:46:47)

Re: Akai GX-4000D reel to reel

You can't compare them to high speed 2 track recorders, but I have a Phillips that's technically similar (1/4 track, 7.5 ips) which I even used to master a record on, so I reckon something like the 4000d will be good enough to at least give you a taste for tape. Just get it cheap, 50 euro is already quite a lot, also because you can't be too sure whether it's in a good enough working state. Although maybe a thorough clean and a new belt is enough to get some hours of fun out of it.

cheers Brian, I'll look out for a cheap one as like you say I would like to get the taste for tape by experimenting with it in the recording chain, before investing in a much more expensive unit.
what would you say is the "next-up" to something like the 4000D, for future reference, and how much should they go for?

After the Phillips I bought a Teac / Tascam 32-2 (the predecessor of the more widely available Tascam 32), which I still think a good entry level studio machine. Also the Revox B77 is a very good choice, technically even better if it weren't for the soft heads. I think average 150 to 300 for either is rather common. Personally I'd stick to these two brands (Teac/Tascam and Revox/Studer) as parts are easy to find. But basically any 1/2 track HS (high speed, meaning it can record on both 7.5 and 15 ips) would be more home-studio worthy.

thanks for the tips Brian, I'll be on the look out for some working cheap specimen... I fear this reel to reel thing as I find myself addicted to browsing the interweb for one already big_smile