Topic: Monitor Speakers advice

hi. i'm an amateur musician and i'm looking for good monitor speakers with a rather neutral sound. my budget is 500 euros MAX. i heard about the Mackie MR5. any advice is welcome!

Re: Monitor Speakers advice

Check out the KRK RokIt's

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

I agree with BMX, I have the Rokit 6 (the active version) from KRK and they are really good for the money I spent.
I got two of them for around 600 CHF, which is roughly 400 Euri.

An addition I would like to try is a subwoofer, because these small monitors are a little bit lacking on the bass...
But I am not really sure if it is worth to change them completely or add the SW...

you can do yourself a favor if you

I'm also searching monitors for max 500 EUR at the moment.
I've read alot of reviews and will probably get a pair of Yamaha HS80M.

samson rubicaon r6a nice budget speaker with ribbon tweeters for 400

alright thanks for the advice guys! more is welcome by the way!

8 (edited by Fotoplastikon 2010-12-18 12:39:46)

How about Yamaha S0108T from 1978?
Looks cool... Found cheap (120e pair).

http://oi51.tinypic.com/4raums.jpg

Same with the KRKs,

I've the KRK RP8 G2s and they're fairly neutral and not at all harsh to sit in front of for a while. Plus, the bass ports are up front; giving you a little more play when positioning near a back wall.

I have the KRK RP6 ones and from what I've heard, the RP5 have not enough bass, but the RP8 have some kind of "hole" between bass and mids, so the RP6 should have the best sound of the series. Of course, the RP8 are good as well, they provide even lower bass because of their size. But I never missed the bass on my RP6s.

is it true about the krk  rp5's lack of lows?..cause i intend buy 'em

...or which one from the rp5's or yamaha HS50M?

soundcraft spirit absolute 2 >150e 200e a pair
Sound is clear, not active, not to much bass.
I believe Rude 66 has em too

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/IMAGES/spirit_absolute_2_main.jpg

I have also the Yamaha HS80M
Sound is clear, active, bass is ok.

I have them both

Listen to SEER Radio every Sunday at 21.00 hrs on The Dream Machine, previous SEER Radio shows

@ fantomas: I'd say the RP5 are also fine monitors, as well as the RP8s, but the RP6 seem to be the best overall of them. If you have no desk space issues, I'd invest a few euros more to get the RP6, because you'll probably have them for life (at least that's my feeling about them).

The Yamaha HS50M/HS80M should be good as well, and I compared a HS80M directly to a RP8. To my ears, they both did great performance, with the Yamahas sounding a little bit more "transparent", and the KRKs a little bit more "nice". My decision against the Yamahas was because the bass comes out from the back, which is not so good if you place them near a wall, as Orbweaver already pointed out. And personally, I thought it's actually good if they sound a bit more "nice", because I also used them to listen to other stuff through them, not just producing. But in the end, I think both Yamaha and KRK are on par, and you'll be pleased with either of them.

15 (edited by Erroraudio 2010-12-22 21:12:38)

I have tried maybe 10-15 speakersets in the 10 years, and for all the marbles I say Adam speakers... The A7X or A8X are the best sounding "cheap" speakers I have ever worked on. We have the old A7 in our bstudio and the S3A's in the Astudio and I love them to bits...
After a 10 hour recording or mix session I still feel like listening to music at home, which I never did on any krk, genelec, yamaha or tannoy.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

+1 krk rokits

I have the rp8s and they have the best sound of any speakers i've ever owned

I head them a-b-c-d'ed in a gear demo room at a guitar center and liked them far more than the jbl, samson, mackie, and some other brand monitors that were hooked up in there

i found them to be amazing in the way that they made the high end of the audio 'come alive'

yeah boyeee

thanks for the tip zeha

ive had the absolute 2's for more than 10 years. actually i also use them as my main speakers in the living room..;-) clear, balanced, non-fatiguing sound. not sure they are in the big league like genelecs, but to my ears they sound better and more natural than all the krk's, mackies and what nots of this world..

just sold my 2nd pair to baz reznik, maybe he can tell what he thinks..

+1 for Adam.  I have the original A7's.  Probably the best gear purchase I ever made.

Cobra - what monitors did you end up getting?  I see this thread is over a year old now.

i've really enjoyed the RP5's and haven't had much bass issues w/ them, still plenty for an apartment setup. they also just were the right fit in terms of size.

i've also been messing a bit with running a sine wave through the board to discover my bass hot / low spots and trying to do some DIY treatments to get a better flat response. has anyone else done this in their cockpits?

worship the potentiometer.

The older Alesis PROLINEAR 720 Monitors sound good. They cover bass also. Stay away from the DSP PROLINEAR version. They blow out like super fast!

Planet of Cevo

I am considering getting a pair of Adam A5X.

I make music in a smallish untreated room without too much leeway in terms of placement far away from walls.

Anyone have any experience with them?

I make synthpop / soundtracky kind of stuff.

Hey Marco-
Not sure if you remember my Adam A5X monitors, but I def recommend them.
The bass aint bad either. wink

The Spirit Absolute series is great. I had the Absolute Zeros 15 years ago? Eventually moved on to the Absolute 2s. Had them for years and replaced them with the Rokit 8s after they died. Never really liked the Rokit 8s and I'm now using a pair of Dynaudio bm5a, which I love but they may be out of your price range. I paid 1000$ USD for a pair with the sub used.

Anyway, for the price, I think the Absolute 2s are a steal, you can find them for 50$ USD second hand sometimes. Save the rest of the money for something else, like maybe some nice headphones...

The key is to (if at all possible) demo the speakers and see how they sound in your room.  Play songs that you think sound amazing. 

I used to have KRK V8's before I got my Focals.  I always had problems with mix translation on my KRKs. 
Of course, this was just my experience.  A few friends picked up used Adam A7s, and they translate very well.

If you want super pumping bass etc, hook up a cheap PA in your studio for vibe, but balance your mix on something like the A7s.

Just my 5cents.