1 (edited by Clandestine Monarchy 2011-01-17 16:23:10)

Topic: What to add to my studio?

I need some advice from you synthesizer veterans.

Currently I have just four synthesizers: a juno 106, casio cz1, roland sh-201 and korg ms-2000. To my feeling the juno, is "warm sounding" but rather simple whilst the sh201 and the ms2000 are more complex but in many uses they sound too clean. The casio then sounds great but is cumbersome to edit.

As an addition to my current list I want something that can sound fuzzy/warm like the juno but which has more possibilities/complexity. I'm considering one of these:
Oberheim OB8 can produce complex sounds and it is analogue so it will have the fuzziness I'm looking for but unfortunately it seems hard to find.
A Clavia Nord modular is super versatile and it is also affordable but I'm a bit afraid that it won't have the warm sound I'm looking for.

Has any of you got recommendations for me? You can see a bit what I'm looking for, sound wise I'm especially interested in creating complex warm sounding pads or strings.
Also I would like to know some of your experiences with the nord modular. Can it sound wise match up to the real older analogues?

Just record it already!

Re: What to add to my studio?

You seen to have everything you need, I like your tracks so I wouldn't say you miss anything, but maybe a little analog monosynth for basses and leads?

I'm sure you can do lots with the Juno and VAs you have, but monos are inspirational and usually have a great sound.

The prices are so high that it's hard to say "you need this expensive synth", maybe just wait to see what pops up at a decent price and get something like and SH-101, SH-09, Moog MG-1, Korg Ms-10,etc.

Ok I was writing while you added to the message.

OB8s are great but hard to find, espeially outside north america.  Maybe a Matrix-6 or 6r?  Even a JX-3p can do some really cool pads that are a little more "complex" than a juno.

4 (edited by unicity 2011-01-17 16:56:49)

I'm a longtime Nord Modular user.  For me the sound will never be in the same league as an older analog machine.  Never.  Not that it sounds bad by any means - it's a fantastic sounding digital synth and will do it's own version of "warm", "fat", etc. - it just doesn't have that certain something to the sound that a real analog machine does. 

If you want complex and warm sounding pads and strings, the NM will definitely take you there, but I wouldn't consider this its greatest strength.  To me the versatility is what makes the NM so appealing.  It isn't the first machine I go to when I want a warm sound...it's the one I go to when I want 8 lfos feeding 4 s/h modules feeding 4 key quantizers feeding 4 oscillators into 4 different filters.  Or something like that.  smile

I recently tried the Doepfer Dark Energy and the MFB Kraftzwerg. They are small semi-modular mono-synths that might be interesting for you. I liked them very much and I'm actually thinking about buying one of them in the future.

Currently I have a Dopefer MS-404 which I use for basses and stuff like that, and I think it's great as well. Very analog sound and it can produce a lot of noise. I think the Dark Energy sounds similar but it has more possibilities of course.

Oh sorry I didn't read that you need something for pads big_smile of course then my suggestions might not really be the best ones wink

@ Tony: thanks a lot for your comments :-) Indeed a Jx3p is a good idea but then I'll need the programmer or it'll be a button-bashing-mayhem. I'll have a look on the market for those as well :-)
@ unicity: I think what you describe as "that certain something to the sound that a real analog machine does" is what I'm looking for, I find it back most in the juno especially with the chorus turned on in mode 1.

Just record it already!

Elka Synthex.... If you have money for a OB8, you might get lucky and score an Elka.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

If you have your sights set for as something as amazing as an ob8, sound-wise there will probably be little else that (i'm aware of) can be easily found that  will take you to that kind of sonic nirvana.  I see prophet V's on craiglist every couple of weeks at usually around 2500$ here in the bay area.  the newer dave smith synths like the prophet and poly evolver have awesome modulation possiblies, but I havent been able to really love the sound of them.  within the four voice limitation of the ms2000 the possiblities are pretty much endless, especially as more units can be linked and they are mulit timbral (ex two patches layered that have different envelopes and modulation settings).  Seems VA synths are always engineered to sound as much like an analog synth as possible, similar to how the mannequins are cast to emulate a particular vision of a  human form.  But as far as complex synthesis goes, I was blown away when I had a chance to mess with a Virus TI.

yeah boyeee

10 (edited by Clandestine Monarchy 2011-01-18 00:19:56)

Well, I'm not so sure whether I can afford a OB8, so far I only found one for sale. The synthex is also pretty amazing, so is the jupiter 8 but both are expensive beasts. It would be nice if you could rent a synthesizer before spending a big sum of money on it.

Just record it already!

there are probably some sellers out there that would take a few dollars or euros or what have you to let you sit down with the synth they are selling and record it for an hour or so

yeah boyeee

i dont know apart from something like a prophet5 if there is anything like that. warm and fuzzy and poly? jupiter4 with midi kit. complex? no.
complex: oberheim xpander. roland jupiter 6. korg mono/poly with midi kit. but warm and fuzzy? no.

how about something like a jx8p or jx10? crumar bit 01?

Roland MKS80.

I suggest the Roland JX-8P too. Wide and warm strings and pads is what it does best, it has nice sync and xmod options and it's dirt cheap. Very good value for money imo. Ok, it also doesn't have knobs, but unlike the JX-3P it supports sysex and there are very good PG800 software emus around or you could use something like the Behringer BCR2000 as replacement for the PG800.

I have the JX-8P too and it's really good sounding, but without a programmer it's a pain to use, sadly. And one thing that bugs me, it doesn't have PWM sad

The JX-8P indeed looks interesting and I do have a BCR2K. Thanks for the tip on the programmer, I had no idea it could be replaced by software smile

Just record it already!

I've never used a jx-8p, but checked the manual and it has 2 oscillators per voice, cross mod, and a second envelope  that the juno 106 did not have, but I wonder if its a go-to synth for 'complex' pads and such

yeah boyeee

or get a bunch of good (analog) effects smile

TB or not TB

Rude's suggestion for a Jupiter-4 is a smart one.  They sound great, not as lush or fat as some polys, but in its own class really.

It's a good time to buy one, some gear seems to trade at a lower price than usual, and since the JP-4 was new on the hyped list, it went from near or over 2000$ usd to half that, making it a very good price, it's a great mono too.

I use it extensively, so does Neud Photo on soundcloud if you want to have a listen.
But really, I'm listening to your tracks right now, and I think you make the most of what you already have and don't really need anything new.

I would sell the sh-201 and get a monosynth.  A Pro One perhaps?

I would concurr with TONY COPS, the Jupiter-4 is very different and they are starting to go up now. I've had mine at a friends place for months I might get it back.

This Neud Photo guy is awesome and JP-4 is alll  over it!

Like freek says, get some good FX, maybe a mutator or a space echo or something

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

what about the Ensoniq ESQ1 or SQ80 (-is a reved up ESQ1)?
It has 74 digital osc to choose from and analog filters.

3 osc per voice, 3 lfo's, 4 env. sync, cross mod etc.

The digital waveform are 8 bit, the sound is nasty and warm.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncIoh2CP … re=related[/youtube]

Listen to SEER Radio every Sunday at 21.00 hrs on The Dream Machine, previous SEER Radio shows

24 (edited by neudphoto 2011-01-25 01:21:37)

*Hint - if you want a really cheap Jupiter 4, go to Tokyo.
They go for dirt cheap out there. smile
There's two places to check out that might have them: '5 G' and the one in front of Tower Records in Shibuya- it's on the 9th Floor of this building called 'Echigoya'. Nicest guys in the world and they really take care of you.

Did you get yours there?