1 (edited by Galliano 2011-02-10 13:37:29)

Topic: Strategies when selling record collections?

Hi,
I'm right now trying to reduce my record collection. I have a lot of stuff I never play, both junk and more valuable records.
When going through my records it hits me I have some "sub-collections" where I have pretty much/all af the releases from an artist or a label (mostly Swedish stuff)
It took some effort and money back then, trying to complete these mini collections but now some of them are not very interesting to me anymore.
The question is: How do I best get rid of these collections? Are there people willing to pay (good?) for the effort it took me to complete the collections or is it better to try selling the records one by one? (perhaps ending up with some records unsold when the rare ones are gone?).
A collector of a certain artist already have most of the stuff and who else will be interested in going from zero to a complete collection in one deal?
What is your experience?

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

Re: Strategies when selling record collections?

Edit: When posting on my cellphone, half of the message was lost... It's now compete.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

If you have the time to research and list, i would recommend selling one by one.
You will surely be left with some crap at the end, but you will definitely be better off than if you sell in a bulk lot.

like hysteric says: try to sell them one by one on discogs. You would be surprised which records people buy from your saleslist. I had a lot of techno à la Chris Liebing or Adam Beyer, well, I only have a few left. There's even another guy who will pick 60 EUR of crap like that today. And the good stuff stays in the list  big_smile
Just try it but don't expect it to be sold out within a week, just check how it runs after a month or two.

"A Real Music Hater"

i cant believe some of the crap ive sold on discogs! tunes ive just got years ago when ive bought a bulk off someone! id love to see these people collections!  lol ...na actually i wouldnt!

if you need the money: sell them in a bulk lot on ebay
if you have the time and want a fair price: discogs