Topic: Sync24

hello hello hello.
anyone knows anything about the possibility of sending sync24 out your midi output?
is that possible at all? is there any software around or some max/pd/supercollider patch to do that?

i was wondering..

Re: Sync24

That's a very interesting idea, I've never heard of such a thing.

I dont think its possible to 'generate' 24din-sync with midi. But it is possible to send midi and sync thru the same port/cable but it needs an internal convertor or modification.

TB or not TB

well, if a midi port can be used to send sync24 messages, there can be a program which tells the computer to do so. no?
i mean, thats why environments such as max.msp and pure data are for. isnt that right?
the crucial point is, are we sure that sync24 signal can be sent via midi output?

It's the same cable, but completely different types of information.  Sync24 is just a 5 volt start/stop signal and 24 (2.51 volt, according to wikipedia) pulses per quarter note.  There's a program, silent way, that you can use to generate a dinsync signal from a dc coupled soundcard, but the audio outs are used, not the midi outs. 
http://www.dinsync.info/2010/05/using-silent-way.html
I think you just need the dc coupled soundcard for the start/stop signal - I've used the individual outs on my mpc2000xl to generate the pulses before.

or maybe you can record and loop the din-signals and use 2 outs of a sampler (or soundcard)..

TB or not TB

I've done something similar with a  48ppqn loop sampled from a Linndrum tape sync out, then played back to it sync input, it worked very well, still synced perfectly after leaving it on for hours.

@dequalsrxt: Hi, I know about silent way and am using it with my MOTU Ultralite. its excellent but i didn't know that they have DINSYNC functionality as well! i have been using it for cv and gate signals. i will check it out.
I also know about the cables (midi-sync etc..).
honestly, the whole silend sleepers thing gave me the idea to begin with of having some software sending sync24 from my midi or audio outlets.

@tony & freek: you mean actually record a sync out loop to a laptop for example and then play it back to the machine? (using some cable with jack on one side and dinsync/midi on the other)???
if so, this is groundbreaking.

I was using a normal 1/4" cable, the start button had to be pushed on the Linn. 

I think Innerclock's software solution must be similar to this, but with additional outs for start/stop and more signal.

alright!
i didnt know about innerclock.
also, i am trying to sync my mc202. the sync in's and out's are all "midi-looking". i wonder how i can send a sync signal using jack from my sound card into "midi-like" port on the 202..

but why dont you get a midi-2-sync convertor?

TB or not TB

because i have just purchased a MOTU ultralite specifically in order to send cv/gate/sync messages directly from my sound card ...
and my midi-sync converter just broke this weekend smile i had one from d-tronics.
anyway...

I use a Korg Kms-30 to do midi to sync24.  It works great.

If I had to do it another way, I'd try this : http://www.rv0.be/sudc.html or Silent Way.

I used to be a lot more picky for sync accuracy, but I've given up the fight and use Live's audio quantize feature a lot, it's the tightest thing ever!

While it's nice to explore all this and you might find a great solution, Freek's suggestion is likely the best.  Btw there's one selling on eBay US.

i have also built the cable for that http://www.rv0.be/ plugin.  it works like silent way, its super tight+free!

well., i am a PC user so forget about www.rv0.be/
but it gives be hope! i might be able to write a max patch to do that for me.

If you can do a Max for Live thing for it, you'll be famous.

there is  a windows beta

I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to program something up on max.  If I was able to sync things up using the individual outs of my mpc, then max/live/whatever should be a cinch.  I would think, anyways...

19 (edited by crippletoe 2011-03-11 20:30:09)

hi everyone!
i made my own SYNC24 cable today and tested it with Silent Way (in Cubase)- it works like magic! apparently SilentWay LFO plug in has a SYNC24 Preset! no need to set anything but choose the preset!
I still have 2 questions though:
1. one problem i noticed though is that the machine (mc202) starts a little bit before the Cubase clock, for some reason.
anyone had that problem?
2. in my new sync cable i left the "ground" disconnected for now.
anyone knows if that's ok or should i connect it? i remember reading somewhere that its better to leave it disconnected but i cannot find that thread anymore.

thanks!

That's great to know.

Have you set latency settings to your MIDI clock before? Maybe it's set ahead of time to compensate for external machines?

great idea!
i will check that out!