Topic: workstations

i am looking for an all in one workstation thing with a keyboard to play live without a computer. sampling might be cool, but not absoloutely necessary. also it should be somewhat portable and reliable with some way to back it up. usb is cool. flash memory is cool. umm.. and cheap?

what am i looking for?
(i tried mpc (i want a keyboard) an emulator 2 (too big and old), asr x, esx1 and i dont want to use a laptop)

Re: workstations

what about this one :

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/korg-kronos.jpg

or

http://www.synthtopia.com/images/NEKO.jpg big_smile

uh.. real suggestions would be cooler.

just dropping names as I haven't used it myself but kept hearing about at livepa.org
http://www.vintagesynth.com/emu/xl7.php

hm.. uncharted territory? no way.. someone has to know about tritons and juno gs and that new mini korg workstation thing.

sorry spec ... it was too tempting. I guess I associate workstations with pot bellies and ponytails and expressive solos ... which is why they are the next cool thing.

The mini korg workstation does look nice and is probably the most portable. Also from Korg, the Korg Karma seems interesting ... no sampling it seems though.

sorry spec ... it was too tempting. I guess I associate workstations with pot bellies and ponytails and expressive solos ... which is why they are the next cool thing.

The mini korg workstation does look nice and is probably the most portable. Also from Korg, the Korg Karma seems interesting ... no sampling it seems though.

The Motif's should be the dogs bollocks.... I know that some of the major hiphop producers in the us use them for making the tracks before dumping everything to Ptools.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Are you sure you need an all in one box?  You've tried a few of what I might originally suggest, MPC, ESX  and if you added a microkorg or synth with bigger keys if you wanted, you'd have a fairly portable system. In fact, I think the ESX is a great live tool, if they'd added some poly ability it would be even better for those that like chords.
ESQ-1 or SQ-80 are original workstations with seq, multitimbral and proper programable 3osc architecture. Adamski originally played live with one and a 909. One issue is no internal fx and theres only L/R output.  It also sounds like you're maybe looking for something newer , usb, computer backup etc + more portable.
I tried the minikorg workstation in rubadub and its got nice quality sounds, i didnt investigate the workflow though.
I guess it depends on what you're presenting live, if you want full seq control, switching patterns, muting, playing a live track, sampled sounds or programmed synth stuff or happy with rom-type presets. mini keys or fullsize?

other options -
DX200/ monomachine/ posh groovebox and use a controller keyboard
mc303/rm1x/shit groovebox - hey, don't mock it, ur used 2 x mc303 live
w-30, EPS16, ASR sampler workstation - but you've already tried ASR, plus these are heavy things
nord modular - preprogrammed with seq's and prepared stuff
korg microsampler?

or the most portable of all, gameboy & palm with bhaiji's loops and microbe

i was thinking something more like the emulator II.. i have one.. but it is just too big and fragile.. and the disk drives failing scares me.. so i havent really gotten into it.

i had an sq80 for a little bit and i just got it back. i will check it out again..

i was looking at things like the yamaha v50 or juno g.

i should probably just use the goddamn mpc that i just can get myself to use for more than one session a year.

as far as work flow.. i really like how the sp12 works.. super fast and simple.. but i want a keyboard.. also i wouldnt trust carrying that thing around.. but maybe that and a keyboard.. hmm..maybe i am just scared and stalling.

sp12 live? hmm.. would it hold enough sounds for live set. might be quite stop-start while you load the next disk. EII lol , if it's anything like my emax theres no way i'd take it out. Its like rolling a dice every time i boot it up whether it even loads.

MPC and the SQ80 will do you fine  (the Aril Brikha combo). run the SQ sequencer for variety.

I recently got the ESX and can see just using that only. xox programming, fx, reasonable limits to work within.

those electribes are ugly.. haha.. i had one.. i sold it.. maybe i will get another.

you can have it any color you wish...

http://oi52.tinypic.com/27x3qlc.jpg

styleflip

oh man.. even worse.. i'm sorry but looks are important when talking about gear..

The esx's looks cool as fuck with the front plate off

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5420635/esx1nude.jpg

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

oh i agree. if you're gonna be staring at something everyday, it might as well look nice. obviously i'm just joking around with the pink. is it just the color that puts you off or the whole layout?

I have two of the older electribes and they're the easiest groovebox-like gear I ever used... everything is intuitive, you only need the manual for things like saving to smart media card and so on.