Re: Should I buy...

@ Fossa: the Machinedrum is in general a nice machine... but in my opinion, the sound is pretty distinct. So I guess it's a matter of taste whether you should buy it or not. Maybe the sampling function can compensate a bit (if you're not entirely satisfied with the synthesized sounds).

I would maybe get one if it wasn't so expensive big_smile
Maybe you can also check out the Jomox XBase 888 or 999, I think one of them has sampling functions as well. But the main drum sounds are analog, so you could compare what's best for you. I think they're in the same price range as the Machinedrum too.

my friend raves about the machine drum and i've played with it a little. I'm not sure if they have a certain sound or their workflow just directs a lot of users to sound similar but I can hear his work a mile off.  the sampling function probably improves it a lot

juno-6 = great. I'd love to find one for 200e

How is the casio cz 101?

and how are casio cz synths in general?
what are the good ones?

i had a cz1000, which i've heard is a cz101 with larger keys.  the noise modulation that it could do sounded really cool, and was far far less complicated than a dx synth to program.  it could pump out some pretty fat bass sounds and i liked the brass as well and the strings weren't bad.  i always wanted a little reverb on the sound because it was a little gritty and rough with just the wave modulation creating the timbre without an analog filter to smooth it out.

yeah boyeee

focusrite saffire 6 usb??

@ Scott_Neon ... I had a Casio CZ 5000, which is 2x casio cz101 in one package. Lovely sound ... fairly trouble-free. Just make sure the batteries are fresh.

1,807 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2011-03-17 10:13:40)

Yeah fresh batteries and a well fitting, up to spec psu should get you all set with that CZ101. It is indeed exactly the same as the 1000. They are actually all the same when it comes to sound but when it comes to features the flagship CZ1 is the nicest. CZ101 is the most expensive generally, probably cause it's so small.
Ow and as for sound, it reminds me a lot of the 4 op DX synths. Great for weird metalic sounds but also for nice warm basses or mid cutting strings. They're very all round, they just have something unique about them... They can be very noisy too, especially when you play deep bass sounds which just don't get amplified enough.

This track has some CZ in it, the kinda sound why I love mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzjzra0fj9g

the portamento lead is CZ101 and the Sitar like sound near the end is a CZ1. The stab sounds are DX100, but I'm sure you can make them with the CZ too. The bass is a DW8000.

ZeHa wrote:

...check out the Jomox XBase 888 or 999, I think one of them has sampling functions as well. But the main drum sounds are analog, so you could compare what's best for you...

Thanks for the tip!

http://fossa.bandcamp.com
Shitting in a lavatory, conducting experiments.
Farticles come near and disappear.

1,809 (edited by Koova 2011-03-17 10:53:00)

I never really go on with the Jomox 999 and sold it.  The OS is pretty flakey and there's lots of menu diving.  Also if you're updating the OS it only works with certain midi interfaces so check on the Jomox site.   

I sold mine and got a Vermona DRM.  It hasn't got the memories or the sequencer and it doesn't sound as "909/Techno" as the Jomox but I prefer the sound and it's always nice having lots of knobs to fiddle with rather than having to read the manual each time you want to edit something.

the only chance Ive had to play around with the jomox was when a mate brought it round to have a wee box jam with.
It was constantly crashing, didn't sound that great imo and was overly complicated... if I had the money, I'd go for the Vermona straight away!

Yeah I love my Vermona.. A lot of Bang for the buck (lol no pun intended)

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

I have drooled for the machinedrum because i'm looking for a hardware drummachine which would be very versatile and make interestig sounds to tweak intuitively live, but would also deliver the

Fossa wrote:

I have drooled for the machinedrum because i'm looking for a hardware drummachine which would be very versatile and make interestig sounds to tweak intuitively live, but would also deliver the

don't forget the DSI/Roger Linn Tempest is scheduled for release in June

Fossa wrote:

...deliver the pussy?

Yes, the Tempest will do that much more than a machinedrum. That device is known to only attract bad asymmetrical haircuts and thoughts of suicide as a result of monotonous digital sounds that have too many high frequencies.

http://sneak-thief.com - raw electrofunk

watwatwat? half of my post is missing? goddamnit!

Ment to say that ...deliver the 909-808 style "basic oldschool" drumsounds. Which i've understood MD does pretty well.
Many say that the MD sounds very digital while the jomox machines are true analogue and sound much better.

I'm not so needy about the true analogue sound but if the MD sounds TOO distinctively digital, maybe its not the right option then.

Opinions?

Tomplex wrote:

focusrite saffire 6 usb??

im using it...its quite good

I have a jomox x-base 09 and elektron machine drum uw-1 (mk1).

Both are great in many ways. The elektron definitely is digital sounding, but the sampler is so effing awesome, it's 12-bit very punchy, and raw sounding. You can get some 606/808 style kicks and snares (last night I was playing between a sample of modded 606 and the a synthesized sd and was struck by how similar they sounded.

But by far the coolest part of the machinedrum to me is the parameter lock function. It is really quick to get a grasp of and can be used to create some really interesting tones, and rhythms.

The sequence is quite machine like so the rhythms tend to be more clockwork sounding than imitating a real drummer (which is fine for me, but if you are into doing rhythms that aren't 4/4 it can be difficult  to get them programmed into the sequencer)

I'm looking at a Cheetah ms-6 for 250€, and I might even get the price to drop a little. Anyone using it?

I'd really prefer to get a Prophet 600 because I prefer a more hands-on machine, but they're going for 700€ over here which is too steep for what it does, imo. So looking into cheaper CEM-based gear...

had one here for a while a long time ago.. it seemd like a pretty uninspiring machine with some weird quirks, but it is an analogue polysynth. kind of matrix 1000-ish..

Thanks Rude
From what I gather the sounds are good but the programming interface is a bitch. Think I'm not getting it because it will probably end up not getting used enough.

Another thing I'm looking at is an MPC60 II. Doesn't have the SCSI or OS upgrade from Linn and seller is asking 450. Backlight, pads etc are working. Fair price?

@ Revok, if you're interested, I'm selling an MPC 2000 in the Trade/Sell forum here

Thanks Zeha, but the MPC60 sounds grittier IMO.

do you only want the gritty sound? then you can buy an old samper for a lot less.. or is it the mpc concept youre after?

Just sold my mpc60mkii with os3.1 for £430.. Superb Machine but by the time you have upgraded the memory and forked out for the scsi upgrade its expensive. Resale is on the incense. but Ruud is right if its the sound your after the Akai s950 is 12bit and cheap as chips to buy. On the plus side for the MPC is the sequencer... but its Fnurking Huge.. and heavy not fun to haul to gigs..

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

I already have an S-330 sampler, but I'd like to use the MPC60 for sequencing other midi gear as well. And there's the swing function, of course.