Re: Should I buy...

mekonin wrote:

Should I buy JX-3P for 90eur? I already have Juno 60 and Juno 106 and friends AlphaJuno

I would get a second JX-3P at that price!

A CSQ 600 for 200 euro???

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

@Erroraudio

I think you'd like it, it interfaces will 1v/oct gear and you can transpose the sequences. Mine's modified to be quantized to ext. trigger when slaved. I usually make bassline sequences with it, like in my track "Modulo"

1,854 (edited by plikestechno 2011-04-06 22:47:40)

Well, I passed on the Trident. Could have had it for 1200 but just found it way too boring. I didn't like a lot of the controls either. Just seemed like everything was all or nothing with not a lot of in between for fine tweaking. The guy was kind of pissy because I took almost an hour to try everything out to make sure it worked and was trying to coax something out of it that would have made me take it home.

It did indeed have a big sound but I already have a Solina for strings and I already have my other polys and just got the Microwave I(A) in last week as far as big sounding synths go.

For 200 or 500 of course I would have taken it for the flip potential but 1200 is a lot for something that would have just sat around forever with a small flip potential given that it wasn't in the best shape either.

It's kind of made me question how much I want the Yamaha CS polys or any vintage polys. I think I have enough polys and then have the PolyKobol II and Arturia Collection in software on top of that.

As far as vintage goes, I think I'd be happy just having another SY-1 or SY-2, eventually for the Yamaha sound and touch controls and calling it a day. I have enough monos. Like my SH-7 that I play with pretty much every night.

It's funny when you collect for awhile the window of what you want or feel you need gets quite narrow. Modular always has some sort of gear lust going because each tiny module or panel makes everything else better but something like a Trident would have just sat around I think.

1,855 (edited by akadavar 2011-04-17 08:14:59)

Yamaha REV 500, Yamaha SPX, or Lexicon MX-300? Which one should I buy? I've got REV-7 for now but it doesn't have impressive sounding due of it's age... it's been introduced something around 1985. The most annoying thing is that I can't use delay and reverb effect at the same time.

http://akadavar.neostrada.pl/images/yamaha_rev7.jpg

A JX8P?

I've already got a JX3P and an ESQ-1, would i find it particularly unique in such company to warrant spending the cash? Though, money isn't the issue, i'm pressed for space.

cupcake2000 wrote:

A JX8P?

I've already got a JX3P and an ESQ-1, would i find it particularly unique in such company to warrant spending the cash? Though, money isn't the issue, i'm pressed for space.

Maybe look at the MKS-70 then...JX8P/MKS-70 are great.

plikestechno:  there is a point where you have too much gear. i've been there.. in the end you sell a lot, and only keep what you use.

akadavar: a rev-7 is still an impressive beast if you know how to use it.. its more of a pro piece than any of the others you mention. if you want to use reverb/delay at the same time, buy another one..;-) but an spx is nice too!

I'm thinking about getting this... http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/k-gakki/ … 23573.jpeg

1,860 (edited by Kenzaburo 2011-04-21 14:16:39)

plikestechno wrote:

It's kind of made me question how much I want the Yamaha CS polys or any vintage polys. I think I have enough polys and then have the PolyKobol II and Arturia Collection in software on top of that.

That PolyKB2 software is some seriously amazing piece of kit. I just am finishing a track for competition using only sounds from that softsynth + drums as samples. It sounds very very good indeed to my ears. Of course the cpu hit is quite big too. Will post the track to music section later ..

1,861 (edited by ZeHa 2011-04-27 20:24:46)

I almost bought some Honey Bass Loops...
...until I realized it is not quite as it seems

http://www.food-shop24.com/images/kello … 0loops.jpg

1,862 (edited by skkatter 2011-05-03 12:35:07)

Roland RS-202 + Roland SVC-350 for 1200 Euro?

skkatter wrote:

Roland RS-202 + Roland SVC-350 for 1200 Euro?

That seems like a lot of money, but I don't know...
Last year I paid 400eur for my SVC-350.

I sold my SVC350 (very mint) for 875 euro, aprox 6 month ago or so

xoxbox for 350 or novation bassstation for 300?

the feature i need most is midi-cv for my mg-1

-xoxbox has a dope sequencer with a randomizer and slides

-bassstation can assign cv to a different channel than its own voice, and has two oscillators, lfos, envelopes

yeah boyeee

difficult one.  the bassstation is probably the sensible choice, reasonable build quality and practical.  the xoxbox is a more tempting and fun option though.

1,867 (edited by TONY COPS 2011-05-04 16:51:24)

Both are cool boxes, the X0X only has v-trig, not the s-trig needed for the MG-1, a small passive converter could be used to make it work.

Also the Moog might see 1volt as being a different note than the Basstation or X0X because they used a different "standard" than Roland, for example.

I don't think either synths can scale or otherwise adjust their CVs,  so they're not the best choice for MIDI-CV converters, but they have the cool features you mention as a plus.

wow Tony thanks so much for sorting that out for me!  Ima definately pull the trigger on a basstation, i've got an A station, and hope to sometime down the road get something for drums and a mixer with rack rails to all fit into a pop-up rack case to  make it a portable easy setup with only an rs7000 and rm1x or esx hanging out of the box

yeah boyeee

Bass station for 300.. Are you nuts.. souldnt realy cost you more than $150-200..

Hell you can get one in the U.K. for Less and even with shipping would be cheaper..

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Yeah I was thinking the same, they used to be a lot cheaper for sure. And unless you mean the bass station rack, the build quality s not all that great either... I admit, it's a long time since I actually hold one but judging the one Bangkok Impact used to take with him live, it wasn't exactly sturdy either. If you plan on using it live (and it seems like you do) I'd be as cautious with it as with a x0xb0x (for which, btw, you can get more durable housing).

The CV/Gate options are on the Rack,
Ident for CV / Gate type parameter Manufacturer CV Type Gate Type Range
“00” = Ronald / Arp / Sequential Volts Per Octave +Gate Pulse C0 to C5
“01” = Yamaha / Korg Hertz Per Octave - S/Trig C-1 to C5
“02” = Moog Volts Per Octave +S/Trig C0 to C5
“03” = Ronald / Arp / Sequential Volts Per Octave +Gate Pulse C-1 to C4
“04” = Yamaha / Korg Hertz Per Octave - S/Trig C-2 to C4
“05” = Moog Volts Per Octave +S/Trig C-1 to C4

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

1,872 (edited by plikestechno 2011-05-05 23:18:14)

Have toyed with getting a bass station rack for awhile. Didn't know they did all that. Prices are going a little nuts right now but will see if I can grab a deal. Sometimes I wish I kept my Drumstation V2 around as well but it was too good of a deal not to flip when I needed to.

The bass station rack was sent from two hours away this morning and delivery scheduled for tomorrow!  big_smile paid 285, not trying to wait for it to be 225 of something like that because I need something that is going to help sequence my MG-1.  not only does it output all those cv formats, but also will convert from them back to midi.  it was either 225 for a kenton or 285 for the bass station. 

kind of off topic- I have an rm1x, rs7000, esx1, and an er-1, does anyone have any success getting some drums with some punch and balls out of one of those (maybe the rs with internal compression?).  would an akai or emu or roland rack sampler give me any punch that i couldn't get out of the rs?

yeah boyeee

lorensteele wrote:

kind of off topic- I have an rm1x, rs7000, esx1, and an er-1, does anyone have any success getting some drums with some punch and balls out of one of those (maybe the rs with internal compression?).

You kidding? I recorded 16 Polygamy Boys & Sneak-Thief records with the RS7000 and had no trouble ever getting great drums out of it, be it with internal sounds or my own samples. As for the ESX1, I played a night with the Hacker where he slaughtered the dancefloor with nothing but that, a 303 and a roland delay pedal.

With all due respect, I think you need to learn how to mix better. Start by giving your drums more room in the track, reserve some frequencies around the fundamental harmonics of each drum sound, put a hi-pass filter of your basslines to let your kick breathe, arrange your melodies as counterpoint to the percussion, etc.

http://sneak-thief.com - raw electrofunk

i kind of like  bad mixing just wanna get some bad drums to go with it

yeah boyeee