1,876 (edited by alex_d_steak 2011-05-06 13:27:34)

Re: Should I buy...

sneakthief wrote:

You kidding? I recorded 16 Polygamy Boys & Sneak-Thief records with the RS7000 and had no trouble ever getting great drums out of it, be it with internal sounds or my own samples. As for the ESX1, I played a night with the Hacker where he slaughtered the dancefloor with nothing but that, a 303 and a roland delay pedal.

With all due respect, I think you need to learn how to mix better. Start by giving your drums more room in the track, reserve some frequencies around the fundamental harmonics of each drum sound, put a hi-pass filter of your basslines to let your kick breathe, arrange your melodies as counterpoint to the percussion, etc.

@Sneakthief: can I elect this reply of yours as "post of the century"? no better words could be said...

@lorensteele
If you like bad mixing, then this means you understand already that the secret is in the mix and not in the device you use.
Even a Casio keyboard for kids (that normally sounds ugly) can be mixed in a way that it sounds great...
The instruments you mentioned have all their own potential, so start studying and experimenting, there is no "ready made
recipe" when it comes down to the fine art of recording and mixing. It's all experience, experience, experience. smile smile smile

1,877 (edited by Fossa 2011-05-06 14:52:00)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7qarWXkH0Fs/TGYFoRjcHWI/AAAAAAAAAII/ybsMyl8ZHjg/s1600/mpc500%5B1%5D.jpg

for sequencing 2 synths and sampling finished songs

http://fossa.bandcamp.com
Shitting in a lavatory, conducting experiments.
Farticles come near and disappear.

1,878 (edited by plikestechno 2011-05-08 00:13:49)

What would you pay (locally) for a PPG 2.3 that according to the seller isn't working because of a "voltage surge"?

1,879 (edited by Kenzaburo 2011-05-07 21:04:34)

I would rather buy the new Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V plug-in. It sounds seriously good and is much better than the previous plug-in version.

@P

That sounds like a risky purchase, a fully working Wave already is!

Oh I know. Basically I told him that if it was in great physical condition that I'd give him 500. If I get it working then I get a PPG for a great price, if I can't then I should at least get my money back as is as a corpse on Ebay or wherever.

A working PPG in Edmonton would have been nice. I would have given him a good price.

I think you made a reasonable offer, was he interested at all?

Haven't heard back yet. I did also mention in the note that I would pay a "good price" for a perfeclty working one. Maybe he's looking into that. Good luck. All the techs in Edmonton are shit. John is at Cantos in Calgary but I'm loathe to ship anything.

I think he's looking for too much for it. He said it was "just" a voltage surge. Hahaha. On a PPG that could have wiped the whole thing clean and fried it to bits.

Should i buy a MC-202 for 335€ .... Quick reply cos pickup is tonight!!

P.s I have a 303 and a 101 so I'm thinking of flipping the 303 on the bay, but will the 202 make up for the 303 or should i sell something else???

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Erroraudio wrote:

Should i buy a MC-202 for 335€ .... Quick reply cos pickup is tonight!!

That's an average price. And a 202 is < 303. If anything, the limitation to just 2 patterns which get wipped at power-off is the major flaw of the 202, compared to the 303.
If you want the 202, by all means do it to complete the team,  but don't flip the 303, you will always regret it!

How is the sound compared to the 101 and 303??

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Somewhere in between? Actually the 202 is most like a rough 101. The 303 is much further away in sound and character

Having second thoughts now.... But they will look good together....

ErrorAudio SoundCloud

buy the 202, play around with it, see how you like it. You can always sell it for same or more

I found the 202 to be a bit more plastic than the 101, they're both quite different from a 303, the 202 still sounds great, and the sequencer is fun, there's also a second cv out for another synth.
Someone should come up with mod than keeps the memory on power off, and maybe expands it.

The 202 has a "power save" mode that puts the unit into a low power consumption mode and still retains the pattern memory, but yeah once you unplug it your patterns are gone.

I've had a 202 for ages and if I had to pick between the two I'd probably go for the 101.

unicity wrote:

The 202 has a "power save" mode that puts the unit into a low power consumption mode and still retains the pattern memory, but yeah once you unplug it your patterns are gone.

unless you save to tape,  lol

I used to save patterns on floppies by sampling the tape save output on my EPS.  wink

Did you get the 202? if not pass on the details a €335 is a great deal.....

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

seems like a lot for a 202, no?  I guess they've gone up in price with everything else
i like the sound and always assumed it was the same as the 101, except you dont get the noise osc
i once played a live set with only an 808 and 202. i just used a delay loop to cover the gaps where i was programming the new seq.

1,896 (edited by Revok 2011-05-15 00:39:05)

A Sequential TOM, for 275€? Been lusting for one for a while...

(Sans cartridges. I'll need to track down the Contemporary one.)

Seems like a lot for a TOM, especially with no cartridges which are next to impossible to find. But if it works perfectly and you want it, why not? Can't imagine there's a boatload of them in Europe.

in NL 202's always did somewhere around 400 so 335 is an ok deal..

ekranoplan wrote:

seems like a lot for a 202, no?  I guess they've gone up in price with everything else
i like the sound and always assumed it was the same as the 101, except you dont get the noise osc
i once played a live set with only an 808 and 202. i just used a delay loop to cover the gaps where i was programming the new seq.

TB or not TB

plikestechno wrote:

Seems like a lot for a TOM, especially with no cartridges which are next to impossible to find. But if it works perfectly and you want it, why not? Can't imagine there's a boatload of them in Europe.

They're not too common in Europe (like much of the later SCI stuff), and increasingly expensive. I found a buyer for my 707 at the same price, so went ahead and and ordered it. Can't wait!

Few questions here please robots.... I quite fancy getting a dw-8000 and was wondering what's a reasonable price for one these days in your opinions? I know its gone up lately. Related questions i have are whether the modulation stick so good its worth holding out for one over the ex-8000? And finally, i know the microkorg has some of the dw-8000 waveforms, but not the filter(?). And if anyone might be able to make some kind of comparison between the two that'd also be appreciated, because they seem around the same in price second hand. Thanks.