Topic: computer psu

the psu from my dell desktop died.  I ordered a pretty cheap replacement 450w from online thinking a psu is a psu as far as computers are concerned, but on changing them out the weight difference was considerable (the dell is heavier and packed with components, the cheap one is pretty much a heat sink).  i'd never considered the difference in psu construction.  Am I asking for trouble using this new psu or should i go and find a heavier replacement that instills some confidence?

Re: computer psu

Power supply units are standardized. Wiki here.
If you only got a heat sink you did not get a replacement PSU. Usually a PSU is replaced entirely and should fit on the same place in the metal frame. The connectors should be the same as well, depending on the type (although there can be more or less connectors available).

buy a known brand for example corsair, easer to make a psu than for example a processor so there are some not so serous manufacturers. also less sound/ heat with a good psu. maybe modular psu? a little bit more expensive tho.

Don't Be Surprised When Your Cheap PSU Blows Up
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low … ,2862.html

5 (edited by ekranoplan 2011-05-09 18:49:14)

haha, thats what i was worried about...
Seems like the original Dell PSU has started working again (I shorted a black and green wire as a wee test)
Then I kept getting the blue screen on startup and after removing 1/2 the memory its working fine again.  if anyone wants a free exploding psu, let me know