1 (edited by Marco Tulio Thrash 2011-06-09 02:05:32)

Topic: Party Report

Two Days // Three Parties.

Brooklyn/Manhattan 3-5 June

Friday Nite

Rainbow Dreams had a great mix of disco styles from laidback to italo thru classic. Pleasant game of pool with a blonde girl. Despite being tired from a day of work, it was great to hear the likes of D. Clapp and La Bermana spinning.

Saturday Morning,

Stumble around Brooklyn then Pass out in McCarren park

Saturday afternoon/evening

My friend Transient Sun suggested going to a BBQ Benefit for Japan at Dope Jams. Got there early to witness a slow start but once the grill was roaring under the masterful supervision of Shawn O'Sullivan (of Further Reductions fame) Francis Englehardt and Paul Nickerson upped the ante on the decks, making this one of the best parties I have been to ... ever. Skimming through the danceable across genres, they made each track theirs through some incredible eq cuts (thx to a custom -handbuilt?- outboard eq). Normally, I am not fond of dj eq'ing but the way these guys sculpted the mix with such accurate abandon, coupled with the joy of the proceedings, made this very special indeed. Rain and cops tried to shutdown the party but without success. DJ Tek was the special guest straight off a 14-hour flight from Japan. A unique personality and an awesome oldschool-heavy hip hop set made the crowd (a cross-section of aficionados and native brooklynites of the non-hipster variety) go wild through the afternoon and into the night. Transient Sun and me left at 10:00 PM but the party was still going strong.

Saturday Nite

After some noodling and fine spirits at Neud Photos' place. We all went to Manhattan for the grand finale, a Robot, Bacon and Cupcakes loft party starring none other than Legowelt and Xosar X Xosar. The latter played a devastating set on two electribe sequencers and miniKP. Ominous and martial, she worked up the machines into a frenzy. It was awe-inspiring to see such dark and danceable music coming out of Xosar's machine manipulations. Legowelt followed up with what seemed like a hybrid dj/live set of his own music. Armed uncharacteristically with a laptop and a controller, he rocked the house only the way legowelt can, danceable trippy defeatism, demonstrating it is not the gear but the man that makes the music. Sadly he rocked the house so much, that the cops shut the party down just as the party was stretching its legs.

Quote of the weekend:

"Please do not drink that blue beverage, I am tripping on acid"

Re: Party Report

Argh, next time I'll try to be in town tongue

Re: Party Report

Festival Nuits Sonores @ Lyon

Huge Festival this week-end with good friends - too bad Noctambulo couldn't make it -
Highlights for me were Matthew Dear, Black Devil Disco Club (always a pleasure), Discodeine, Bot'ox, M.A.N.D.Y, and even Gaslamp Killer ( eh eh  ) was fun to watch at the end because very communicative, Though too much men and young people around 18-25, it was a good festival

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmbXTMHy … re=related[/youtube]