Re: ++Gear Down!++ Repair Thread

I'm also looking forward to getting my old ARP Axxe working again, I bought a replacement power supply board for it.

leftcorporation wrote:

I'm also looking forward to getting my old ARP Axxe working again, I bought a replacement power supply board for it.

ah that old war horse I remember her well

278 (edited by olivier8 2011-06-07 21:04:54)

last sunday i hardwired the power supply to my JX-1 as the connector was getting flaky

Will also get a chance to modify the filter too, it's going to be a whole new ARP world. My mate has a Future Retro 777 which i can borrow as a midi/cv converter...

Anyone have any links on what re-capping old synths involves? I know it means replacing capacitors but which ones with what sort? The Jupiter 4 has been noisy for a while.

my Tempo/Mixer button on my MC-505 seems to be malfunctioning. It still lights up but when I press it, it does nothing. This is very important for operation.

Could I get an electronics repair man to fix it or do I have to send it off to get fixed? (I hope not)

Please Help!

Sounds like an easy fix, send it to me along with a big wad of cash  tongue

leftcorporation wrote:

Sounds like an easy fix, send it to me along with a big wad of cash  tongue

ha ha.
No seriously, could anybody that fixes these types of things do it? There are a few people in town I can think of.

ha ha.
No seriously, could anybody that fixes these types of things do it? There are a few people in town I can think of.

Could be an easy fix, a switch or a solder joint most likely it is!

I finally fixed my Juno-6!  The problem was indeed a failed IR3109.  TONY COPS put me in touch with his synth tech in Montreal (RAMCUR) who came up with a rather brilliant solution...he sent me a tiny SMD IR3109 that came from an acetone soaked 80017a (there is one SMD IR3109 and two SMD BA662's underneath that black goop), which I soldered onto an SMD/DIP adapter and then soldered onto the Juno-6 board.  FIXED.  smile

Photo of the salvaged SMD IR3109 here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/31603983@N … 589850507/

I'm glad I could help. This is a nice discovery!

Here's a photo of the installed SMD IR3109 beside a regular one.  This Juno has clearly had a rough past (note the socketed IR3109 and non-standard trimpot on the voice marked with an x) but thanks to you and Ramcur it's working great.  smile

http://www.mts.net/~dougs5/Juno6Filters.jpg

Pretty amazing..

does it sound exactly the same?

Yep.  If I put the Juno in service mode where it plays each voice in succession, I can't tell which has the replaced filter.  If I have time I'll put up a demo and see if anyone can spot it.

Before I had it calibrated the only difference was that the filter on that voice tended to be a bit more open than the rest (due in part to me fiddling with the trim pot when trying to figure out the problem).

nice fix. mine is working great now too. i hope this isn't starting some trend of failing ir3109 s

Well I got prematurely excited last night fitting the power supplyboard on the arp axxe. It now powers on at least and the little power light comes on but there is not sound....yet!

Oh yeah I have the Arp Axxe back in action after sitting in my mum's garage for 8 years!! It's making the same squealing and squawking noises as it did before, next step is filter modification and cleaning it up a bit smile

My Yamaha CS5 collapsed while i was recording a track. sad
I'm not an expert but i'm pretty sure it's the filter chip.
The synth sounds really quiet now. Cutoff, resonance and the multimode switch doesn't work as they should.
I read that the CS series has rare custom filter chips (IG00156). So, how rare are these chips really? Any ideas where i can get one? I had a lot of fun with my little CS and doesn't want it to die!  sad

my DX7s started to act strange. the velocity just died on the whole lowest octave.
all the keys work fine, but only send minimum amount of velocity. weird that one full octave just dies like that.
i opened it up.

My sub bass seems to be busted, all of a sudden you cant really turn it below 'INSANE BASS'.. I did pound it pretty badly this summer, could a broken speaker cone or something like that be the problem?

Uh, its too much bass.. is what im trying to say

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

crc: on a lot of keyboards, things are grouped per octave of keys. could be a loose contact somewhere between the lines going to the keyboard itself and the synth engine. never opened a dx7 up though..

bmx: what are you talking about? a subwoofer or something like that? a speaker?

eh, yeah subwoofer i mean ofcourse, the krk 10s .. at lowest level its still 5x too loud

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Vestax PDX-2000 down. We did a outdoor session on the weekend on the beach. And one 1210 and the PDX went down, because of bad energy support (generator). I guess I know how to change the fuse in the 1210. But how is this with the PDX? Is there a fuse in there or is the power supply now burnt?

Replaced the tr707 batteries recently (old ones were actual Roland ones!)
On turning on, the memory had scrambled and it was basically playing gabba beats and whenever a pattern was selected it would light up 2 patterns and generally not working properly.  Did a reset and it was all fine and I could even play through the factory demo track.
Didn't touch any gear for a few days during the week and now it doesn't power up at all.  A multimeter on the official 707 adaptor (12v dc 200mA neg centre) shows 24v.  That seems high but i guess its bound to be higher if there's no load on it? Can anyone else check the output from the wall wart cable for comparison?
Opening the case up, it seems like the R49 resistor has gone.  hopefully thats all

automatique: there is always a fuse in anything that runs on an internal psu. its required..

ekranoplan: the output of a 12v DC psu should measure 12V, not 24v! you sure you measured correct? otherwise the psu is broken, and that could explain the expired resistor..