Topic: Why is todays house music so boring?

when i am searching for new records i have to hear 30 records to find one that is worth to buy.

(i am speaking about RECORDS, not the 1000000 mp3s available at beatport and stuff.)

the problem is:

there are indeed some proper releases - but all are sounding the same.

trying to make a perfect copy of oldschool house / 90ies deep house / moodymann etc ...

i mean: why should i spend money for a track that i have already 10 times in my collection?

only because it is new or it has a thicker production?

the level is high - but boring.

i hate soccer

Re: Why is todays house music so boring?

hello fellow jaded music lover!
you are absolutly right.
but look at it from the bright side : this genre is over 20 years old
and there are still an insane amount of records made.
and with every popular genre you have to wade through a river of shit to find that little nugget.
But yes, perhaps it is over its prime and it will die out togheter with +50 year old djs at parties for a +40 audience.
bring it on i say!

alot of what now qualifies for 'house' music, or what the shops like to class as 'house' is mostly made by guys who were making dull as ditchwater tech-house 3 years ago and now think they are house because they have made a bigger bassline, added a synthy sax riff and a couple of bongos.

Quality stuff being made still, but i still always head for the mojuba, brawther, balance, precription vibe, and old favourites

because the best was done 20 or 25 years ago. Same with detroit, acid-house, chi-house etc.

"A Real Music Hater"

5 (edited by Scarface 2011-07-05 23:52:12)

This whole chicago-houserevival thing isn't really getting me running wild also. Like said, the best is made already.  To me this is just like: "Hey, let's try to warm up again this great music genre from 25 years ago." When it should be like: "Hey, let's try something they didn't do already 25 years ago."

"Are you loving?"

i don't agree, there's plenty good house coming out, from detroit for example
you guyz just don't like it, that something different
"the problem" at the moment is that lots of producers are doing their best to copy that mr fingers, or whatever chicago sound
to be honest it's gettin' on my nerves, man how many chicago revivals,lookalikes do we need..?
try something different for a change please...

i opened up a thread about a year ago about detroit house, plenty of  rocking stuff in there, so check it out

latest that came to my attention is this : http://clone.nl/item20832.html

Vlam Aan

of course there is good stuff out there kucz but it's getting a bit too much. It also seems that our favorite Dutch labels only release that kind of music the last years, it's always the same: "here's some jacking chicago acid blablabla tracks". In the end they all sound the same. To be honest I've almost completely lost my interest in most of the The Hague labels the last 2 or 3 years. I don't say they have to stick to electro (electro is dead for the moment)but it's too much of trend-hopping to me.

"A Real Music Hater"

in my opinion, lots of old house music is also boring... 909 beats with lots of rimshot and lyrics that go either "this is my HOUSE...." or "welcome to my HOUSE..."

true

"A Real Music Hater"

also the term "deep house" is getting on my nerves
only cause they use some piano's or cause it's made by black people doesn't make it deep for me

i just don't like that term

but still i like house very much esp kyle hall, marcellus pittman,delano smith etc etc
they sure know how to make good house music

Vlam Aan

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

of course there is good stuff out there kucz but it's getting a bit too much. It also seems that our favorite Dutch labels only release that kind of music the last years, it's always the same: "here's some jacking chicago acid blablabla tracks". In the end they all sound the same. To be honest I've almost completely lost my interest in most of the The Hague labels the last 2 or 3 years. I don't say they have to stick to electro (electro is dead for the moment)but it's too much of trend-hopping to me.

true ray, even A. Tyrell is making house nowadays.. i love clone but i lost track a bit when the label got split up in 6 other labels

Vlam Aan

this happens in evbery genre, especially the more limited ones. anything from blues to punk to house. there are only so many things you can do with the simple structure a lot of these genres consist of. if you do prog metal for example there are more different things you can try, but in the end it'll be the same.

that said, all these genres are still alive and kicking, also because new generations of fans show up that dont know all the classics, and much is new for them. and a lot of people just like to hear certain music, whether its new and exciting or not. a genre like metal is a good example of that.

but yes, i agree on house, techno, chicago, etc. too much of the same shit.

ray: as far as genre hopping goes, the story above also goes for producers.  i switched in the 90's from acid to electro because the 303 was really starting to bore me, and i wont do any electro tracks for a while at least any more either because of the same reason. sometimes its good as a producer to take a fresh new road. for the last few years i've been trying to capture the feeling and darkness of old industrial and wave and incorporate it into my tracks, in the end i think its only combinations of genres that can produce anything new and fresh today.

Why is todays house music so boring?
Because its increasing hard to create something fresh when a lot of its been done, tried/tested.   Integrity slides everywhere.  However seek and one will find goodies.

The whole Rushour / Clone re-issue re-jack, re-trax, re-ballbag, got on my re-tits.

14 (edited by dolcevita 2011-07-06 09:12:32)

this is the next problem:

edits.

i am tired of edits.

especially this disco-edits for house-floors.

Todd Terje is a great producer and DJ, but why he must do an edit of every classic?

Pop Music ... i want your love ... on the beach ...

i hate soccer

Hey Rude, I'm not pointing at you tbh, I even never heard a chi-house tune from you  big_smile
I'm talking about labels Creme-Jak or Clone. Even Marco Bernardi suddenly switched to detroit. Of course an artist wants to evolve but this in the case of Bernardi to name one it's too obvious imho.
But it's the same with electro. I haven't bought a single electro record in years because they ALL sound the same. They're all Drexciya or Dopplereffekt clones. I really can't bare that sound anymore, I even never play my Drexciya records anymore because of that. Same story for acid house: they ALL sound the same but perhaps that's because I only like hard and grungy acid, dunno.
Overdaad schaadt like they say in Dutch.

"A Real Music Hater"

maybe the 'west coast' should write another (acid) manifest..
(if its not too late since all most everyone bought a x0xb0x)  roll

TB or not TB

ooh jesus & his flip-flops....edits?!...again?!think we covered that no big_smile

Business,.....endless chi-town re-hashes, italo bootlegs, edits. It's all about the money..just walk on by.

Everything sucks nowadays anyway,..too much is enough. Last one to leave turn the lights out plz neutral

Let's get Dumb

Maybe todays producers should go through this thread and think if they have anything serious to add to that (besides making money):

http://www.robotsforrobots.net/viewtopic.php?id=4795

"Are you loving?"

if a certain kind of music is boring you you are looking in the wrong direction IMO.

I have to say i've been experiencing some fatigue with new electro wave output lately as well. OTOH when i put on studio brussels or 3voor12 i hear great more mainstream indie music dropping by all the time.

20 (edited by ytz 2011-07-06 14:26:00)

Seems to me that more good house is being made now than there was 10 years ago. Jeeeesus remember when everyone and their mum wanted to filter disco loops like Bangalter and co?

Stuff like Kaychunk is taking house to strange new places. Or helping to at least.

cuties don't exert

21 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2011-07-06 14:32:59)

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

Hey Rude, I'm not pointing at you tbh, I even never heard a chi-house tune from you  big_smile
I'm talking about labels Creme-Jak or Clone. Even Marco Bernardi suddenly switched to detroit. Of course an artist wants to evolve but this in the case of Bernardi to name one it's too obvious imho.
But it's the same with electro. I haven't bought a single electro record in years because they ALL sound the same. They're all Drexciya or Dopplereffekt clones. I really can't bare that sound anymore, I even never play my Drexciya records anymore because of that. Same story for acid house: they ALL sound the same but perhaps that's because I only like hard and grungy acid, dunno.

Come, the 2 labels you mention have had a rather steady output of different styles, it's not fair to mention them when it's clear you're talking about jumping the house bandwagon. Clone and Creme and artists on those labels have always been rather eclectic I think, there has always been a steady output of techno, disco and house on those labels. It's not really trend hopping either, plenty of house influenced stuff on those two labels was released years ago, again, along side of techno, electro and disco influenced releases... It's not like it happened overnight, not for exactly those 2 labels...

Brian Chinetti wrote:
Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

Come, the 2 labels you mention have had a rather steady output of different styles, it's not fair to mention them when it's clear you're talking about jumping the house bandwagon. Clone and Creme and artists on those labels have always been rather eclectic I think, there has always been a steady output of techno, disco and house on those labels. It's not really trend hopping either, plenty of house influenced stuff on those two labels was released years ago, again, along side of techno, electro and disco influenced releases... It's not like it happened overnight, not for exactly those 2 labels...

I think it often is more a case of overexposure on the part of the listener than a lack of quality on the part of the producer.

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

That I can agree with, there's a lot of it at the moment. That overkill will pass, like always, and like always there will be some gems left behind. Personally I like what's going on, there's good new music to be found and there's a fun crowd coming to this sound, it's much less carnaval or puristic like the Electroclash and Italo revivals were to some. And you still get to play whatever you want, I think. No seriously, I'm enjoying myself rather well again lately, both at gigs and in record stores.

if you don't like something, do it yourself wink

sounds like old men moaning hahaha, seriuously tho, if u only just realised everything sucks and u have to look really, really hard for the gems...... then wtf???? u guys make me laugh so much. theres as much good house as always, and yea if u cant find anything good on creme jaK or clone, then maybe try looking somewhere else u boring, dull, tired, old, washed out, snobs. it's 2011 !!
also, disagree with Rude66, i think there are infinite things to do with house, whereas prog rock is way more limited in scope.
so if u find it boring, its probably because your choosing the same old records from the same old people from the same old labels. complaing about what creme jak put out as representative of the state of house music today is so retarded.
i also think a lot of stuff now is really hard to define, and a lot of people is scared to look in funcky club house bits or grime bits but theres some super hard banging shit all over the place right now. 

"even barnardi makes detroit now" hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha